Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC
·Hotwire Communic..

Chiyo

Premium Member

[Info] Deploying wireless

Hey everyone,

I've been asked by a friend to deploy wireless at his place of business. He currently has about 40 users and has a cisco router #1700 that goes to 3 24 port switches.

The only wireless stuff I've worked with has been Linksys or D-Link products I've never rolled out Cisco. I was looking at Cisco Small Business Pro AP 541N as a good starting block but please tell me if I'm not right.

The main goal he wants to accomplish is Wireless VLANs one public with just internet access and nothing else then a private Vlan for employees.

I know its all SSID based and I'd not broadcast the employee SSID I'm just not 100% what I need to get started I'm guessing 1 or 2 of the 541N's will do the trick as it has a managment webpage thing built in and is meant to work with multiple APs.

Thanks for any and all help.
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919

Cant comment on the 541N as i havent messed with it, but i deal with lots of 1131ag's and they work great.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to Chiyo

MVM

to Chiyo
said by Chiyo:

The only wireless stuff I've worked with has been Linksys or D-Link products I've never rolled out Cisco. I was looking at Cisco Small Business Pro AP 541N as a good starting block but please tell me if I'm not right.
what is right depends a little on his budget.
personally, i've been nothing but disappointed with the "express" lines from cisco (aside from call manager and unity express). in terms of the express line (catalyst express, etc), there is a lot of functionality that i find is missing that would be nice for small business deployments.
that being said, i've never messed with the small business line of access points. however, depending on the size of the building and the ease of administration, i'd push him to pick up some used lap1131ag access points from a cisco reseller and pick up a cisco 2106 wireless controller. for the amount of hassle that one could expect to see if you need to change settings on all of the ap's, it can be done with a single change on the wlc.

my two bits.

q.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

tubby is very wise.

I have a few of Cisco's 5xx series express catalyst switches and they are really an abomination. I'd never have done it except we needed the fiber ports and POE, so we saved about 80% off the price of a 3550 PWR + GBIC (the current standard at the time). I despise those switches and would seriously avoid anything in that product line based on my experience.

Honestly if you're talking about 2 or 3 APs (depending on the size/structure of the building) you could get away without the controller and just build configs in each, it's not really that hard. Even new the 1131s are pretty cheap now that the N stuff is out.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by jester121:

Honestly if you're talking about 2 or 3 APs (depending on the size/structure of the building) you could get away without the controller and just build configs in each, it's not really that hard.
yes, you're correct - its not that hard. however, the older 2106 controller still supports 5.2+ code (allowing expansion for 802.11n access-points) and supports radio resource manager (rrm), which will dynamically balance power profile output for optimum coverage.
additionally, the controller has several poe ports - allowing you to directly power the ap's from the controller without having to buy injectors or additional poe switches. if you need the hardware - its a good "all-in-one" device for a branch office deployment.
tubby is very wise.
i dealt with a 35 switch rollout using cat-express switches (all within the same campus). customer picked them up outside of our typical sales engagement process, they just ordered hardware directly from cisco without explaining. ugh. if anyone says the word "smartport" to me, i'll punch them in the face.

q.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

Oh, don't get me wrong -- I'm 100% in favor of the controller. But if the price tag is a bit too steep, I'd say buy standalone 1100 series APs and do the manual config rather than the cute "express" alleged solution.

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo

Premium Member

Thanks everyone now I understand I need the controller and what not if I want to go the Cisco route.

You've all been a huge help.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Chiyo

MVM

to Chiyo
Actually you don't need the controller, it just depends on what setup you're going with.
When you think about it, if you had, say, 50+ APs to configure and manage, would you
want to do each AP one at a time or all at once given the choice? Cisco APs can be supported
individually or from a central point and that's what the controller is for.

Best of luck which ever way you go Chiyo.

Regards