McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

meter in my machine

I've been using BWMeter for several months, just so I can see what my internet usage is. If AT&T starts metering, I'll have another piece of software looking at my DSL line besides AT&T.
nishiko7
Premium Member
join:2007-05-01
Pleasant Hill, CA

nishiko7

Premium Member

said by McSummation:

I've been using BWMeter for several months...
Thanks for making me (and others aware of BWMeter. Looks great, but it's also $30.

I've been using Networx (»download.cnet.com/NetWor ··· 904.html) for about 6 months now (somone else on DSLR recommended (in the comments like this) once). I'm VERY happy with it. Just like with BWMeter, you can network other computers to get a better sense on your total network usage. BW Meter looks like it may be a bit more advanced, but for the price difference, I think many would be happy with Networx. If you are, you might consider throwing them a small bone, like we should for all great "free" software we use a lot to help support it.

Ideally, it is best to have this functionality on your router, but that's not always practical or convenient or cost effective. So this method is a second best way to get a read on your bandwidth usage. Of course, with all the individual non-pc devices being added to networks these days, this second pc by pc method will only give you a general read, but most non-pc devices also don't consume much bandwidth, so in most cases, this will be good enough.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to McSummation

Premium Member

to McSummation
said by McSummation:

I've been using BWMeter for several months
This may work for a modem with 1 PC.

If you have more then one PC in the house, and those PC's also communicate with each other (think shared printing, files etc) BWmeter pretty much becomes useless.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

Actually, BWMeter works very well with multiple machines on a router with a single modem. I'm using it with an Ethernet connected machine and a WiFi laptop. I've set it up so that it separates the traffic by "LAN" and "Internet".

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

ArrayList to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
Click for full size
dd-wrt bwmeter
i use dd-wrt on my router. has a pretty day by day graph and running total for each month. i'd love for AT&T to say I used more than what my router says.