spc
Search similar:

uniqs
digitalking
join:2009-07-01
Utica, MI

2 edits

digitalking

FTP throttling? (No, it is some other issue)

When using FTP applications to download from a server, I only get 5-10KB/s transfers. On the same computer, if I then connect through a secure VPN using PPTP, my speeds jump to 800-900KB/s. I am guessing because the data is encrypted, the FTP data can no longer be identified and is not blocked.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

Re: FTP throttling?

I doubt it. Post a trace route to the server.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

To my knowledge CC doesn't mess with FTP.

Dspairl
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
Norwich, CT

Dspairl

Premium Member

said by EG:

quoted for the truth

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Dspairl:

said by EG:

quoted for the truth
They are supposed to be totally protocol agnostic now !

Dspairl
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
Norwich, CT

Dspairl

Premium Member

HAHAHAHAHA

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking
We don't throttle FTP or any other specific protocols. See »networkmangement.comcast.net.

Your problem lies elsewhere. You might want to compare the routes with and without your VPN, for example.
digitalking
Utica, MI

2 edits

digitalking

Yes. It is a routing problem confirmed with tracert.
I know this is a very stupid question, but is there anyway go through a different route to that FTP server? My VPN has limited bandwidth usage, so VPN is not a permanent solution. Tracert gets stuck at some backbone Comcast IP address in Chicago. I found the IP listed in a forum where others were having the same issue. One guy had a tracert time with that server of 1720ms. This routing problem has been going on for almost 2 weeks now for me.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by digitalking:

I know this is a very stupid question, but is there anyway go through a different route to that FTP server?
Nope. Not for you as an individual. Network routing is beyond your control.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking

Re: FTP throttling? (No, it is a routing issue)

What is the FQDN of this Comcast backbone in Chicago? Unless it is listed as ibone.comcast (etc) then it is not owned by comcast
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

FactChecker to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking

Re: FTP throttling?

said by digitalking:

Yes. It is a routing problem confirmed with tracert.
Can you share any data around this speculation?

src/dst IP address?
traceroute at the time of the problem (better yet use mtr)
extending pings at the destination and previous hop
digitalking
Utica, MI

digitalking

Re: FTP throttling? (No, it is a routing issue)

It is definitely an ibone.comcast.net server, I do not have the IP at the moment. I can provide that later.
When doing a tracert, it pauses at the ibone.comcast.net server for a while, then reports a 76ms time at that server. The other servers in the route are way less. Thanks for the help everyone.

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking
Wouldn't it be simpler to just provide the trace route as in it's entirety then post a arbitrary IP?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking
said by digitalking:

When doing a tracert, it pauses at the ibone.comcast.net server for a while, then reports a 76ms time at that server. The other servers in the route are way less. Thanks for the help everyone.
It could be ICMP de-prioritization at that router hop. Maybe the router was busy passing real traffic so it delayed it's response to the returning of the ping packets. Using ICMP packet based troubleshooting tools on today's internet networks is by no means gospel.
FactChecker
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03

2 edits

FactChecker to Tordek7

Premium Member

to Tordek7
said by Tordek7:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just provide the trace route as in it's entirety then post a arbitrary IP?
My guess is EG is correct and the traceroute data will show ICMP rate limiting (which does not impact traffic). If there was a real problem at an ibone level more than just this one FTP session would be impacted (millions of subs). While I don't have direct facts to support my hypothosis, the lack of postings from many users does.

digitalking if you provide the traceroute we can quickly rule out your incorrect assumtion and get to the real issue which I expect will turn out to be something in your home, in your local node or at the destination server.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking
said by digitalking:

It is definitely an ibone.comcast.net server, I do not have the IP at the moment. I can provide that later.
That won't really tell you much at all. You need to post a traceroute with your VPN and without your VPN.
digitalking
Utica, MI

4 edits

digitalking

Re: FTP throttling? (No, it is some other issue)

This is not an issue with Comcast at all. Is there a way to have my post deleted, so no rumors start that Comcast is FTP throttling.
GBLX.NET is where the lag starts. Everything after the Comcast servers, my lag times are over 100ms.
How do I go about getting this lag issue resolved?

6 11 ms 9 ms 11 ms te-0-6-0-4-ar01.pontiac.mi.michigan.comcast.net [68.87.191.14]
7 25 ms 26 ms 21 ms pos-2-1-0-0-cr01.chicago.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.109]
8 351 ms 226 ms 225 ms 162.97.117.45
9 116 ms 113 ms 115 ms te3-1-10G.ar7.LON3.gblx.net [67.16.137.114]
10 127 ms 132 ms 128 ms 30g.ldn-1-6k.routers.fho.net [96.24.122.78]
11 148 ms 128 ms 131 ms 20g.vss-2-6k.routers.chtix.eu [96.24.122.109]
12 126 ms 127 ms * ns3979.fho.net [96.24.209.101]
13 126 ms 125 ms 128 ms ns3979.fho.net [96.24.209.101]

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to digitalking

Premium Member

to digitalking
Wow.. Global Crossing is lagging.. I think the internets is coming to a end ... I wish i had a 10th of what they can provide as speed per second lol
digitalking
Utica, MI

3 edits

digitalking

I connected to the FTP server on the AT&T network at a friends house, and I am not having any issues. With AT&T, my route never goes through GBLX.NET. Why does AT&T take one route and Comcast another, to the same place and from the same city? Would Comcast be able to resolve this issue?
digitalking

digitalking

How do I get the extremely slow connection to the FTP server resolved on the Comcast network? I also tried it without a router being used and a direct connection to the modem. Like I stated, I do not have this issue using a VPN on the Comcast network or on the AT&T network at someone elses home.