share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to maartena

Re: When was last time your electric meter chkd by gov't?

My meter was never replaced in 30 yrs of service. But see my later post in this thread for more explanation of my position. »Re: When was last time your electric meter chkd by gov't?

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

And you have stood outside and watched that meter to make sure the company didn't come out and replace it some afternoon you weren't home with one that looked just like it? Or do you honestly think you would notice if they replaced it or that a newer one would look any different than the one currently there?

Let me guess you painted it pink so you would know if they replaced it?

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

3 edits

said by rahvin112:

And you have stood outside and watched that meter to make sure the company didn't come out and replace it some afternoon you weren't home with one that looked just like it? Or do you honestly think you would notice if they replaced it or that a newer one would look any different than the one currently there?

Let me guess you painted it pink so you would know if they replaced it?
It has a serial number on it which is also on the monthly bill. And if they disconnected the meter while I wasn't home, all the clocks in the house would have been blinking.

Besides the meter casing was painted to match the color of the siding on the house. If they replaced it it would be obvious.

P.S.>> the electric company wouldn't replace the meter without notifying you. And if they did, the monthly reading number would have restarted an a new lower number.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

1 edit

where I live you pay for the meter. the electric company installs it. so they wouldn't replace it without me buying a new one.
--
sbcglobal.net speedtest result 11/11/09 - 5256kbps

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to FFH

They don't replace the meter casing. They replace the device with the spinner inside the glass bubble. My casing is also painted to match the siding. I had my meter replaced with one that transmits the readings through the cellular network (no more meter reader). They sent a notice on your bill that it would be replaced but they did not schedule it and yes, the power went out when they did it.

The only reason I know it was replaced is because it one day I was looking at it and noticed it now has some digital innards.

The gas company recently did the same kind of replacement. I don't know how they did it, but my fireplace and water heter pilot lights did not go out. There was a writeup in the local paper about how they do this but I didn't pay any attention. Apparently, whatever they do is pretty slick.