uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to 88615298

Re: When was last time your electric meter chkd by gov't?

said by 88615298:

said by FFH5:

One problem with the electricity metaphor? If carriers want to compare themselves to your local electrical utility, they'd better be ready to have their meters heavily regulated to guarantee accuracy -- just like your electricity meter.
Nice claim, but I don't see anyone chking accuracy of my electric meter. I have lived 30 years in my house and NOT ONCE has anyone from a gov't agency verified the accuracy of my electric meter. Anyone else ever see that happen??

P.S.>> or my water meter either.
Well how about this argument. Electric companies are regulated by the governemnt. So if ISPs wish to comapre themsleves to utilites surely they won't mind being regulated like one. but of course they would. They want their cake and eat it to and they can't.
Cable companies are regulated 6 ways from Sunday. By state & local boards and by the FCC.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by FFH5:

Cable companies are regulated 6 ways from Sunday. By state & local boards and by the FCC.
A) no they don't. Cable was deregulated back in the 1980's trust me I'm old enough to remember. If cable was REALLY regulated your cable bill would be at least 1/3 lower than it is now.

B) That has ZERO to do with internet access. What little regulation cable companies have is on the TV side not the internet side.

Once again while the local franchise authority may tell the cable company where they must offer service they can't tell them where to offer internet service.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

There may be some regulations on what cable companies can carry as TV networks, and what not.... whether analog signals should be available or not, etc, etc....

But NONE, ZERO of those regulations have anything to do with internet connectivity. (Or phone connectivity for that matter).
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by FFH5:

A) no they don't. Cable was deregulated back in the 1980's trust me I'm old enough to remember. If cable was REALLY regulated your cable bill would be at least 1/3 lower than it is now.
Apparently you're not old enough to know better.. um.. back in the mid 90's when regulation came into play, the government promised that rates would drop under new rules and regulation... however, the average cable bill went up 15% across the nation. How's THAT for government help?

Cable was unregulated, regulated, unregulated.. so on and so on...

And your second mistake.. yes, the FA CAN in fact tell the company where they must provide internet services... so long as they do it at the time of contract renegotiation. When the contract is up for renewal, everything is negotiable.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to maartena
said by maartena:

said by FFH5:

There may be some regulations on what cable companies can carry as TV networks, and what not.... whether analog signals should be available or not, etc, etc....

But NONE, ZERO of those regulations have anything to do with internet connectivity. (Or phone connectivity for that matter).
Not quite true... it depends on the locale of the system.. some systems do in fact have their phone service controlled by the local authorities.. many don't, but some systems do... Internet, you're mostly right, however, if there is an agreement with the FA upon renewal, then you're take is incorrect.

In other words, nothing is the same everywhere... There was a system in Redwood City CA that almost wasn't able to renew unless they agreed to install internet services.. and prior to renewal, there was none, NOR could they install it, due to the FA.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to FFH5
Hahaha ! Surely you meant "cable companies are regulated only on Sundays.