Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rahvin112

join:2002-05-24
Sandy, UT

3 recommendations

reply to FFH

Re: When was last time your electric meter chkd by gov't?

The tests are standardized tests that comply with ASTM or UL standards. It's easy for regulatory agencies (federal or state) to verify compliance with these testing procedures as they are heavily documented.

said by FFH:

And does anyone seriously think some state regulator is going to dispute the companies claims of accuracy when provided with the testing info done by an independent 3rd party?
The point which as typical you ignored was that there is no regulatory framework. So your little straw man is easy to argue, of course no regulator would care as there isn't a regulator.

If someone is going to bill you per amount and they are using meters to do so there should be regulation in place to make sure that measurement is fair and accurate. Otherwise consumers have no guarantee of accuracy. Statements made by Comcast that the system is accurate are meaningless because there hasn't been any independent verification that anything they have said is accurate. In fact their system could be completely arbitrary without connection to reality and no one would know. The testing they had done was not independent, it was a paid promotion by an consultant without certification or standard testing, which is worthless in my eyes.

When I pump gas I know the meter on my gas pump is checked at least once a year for accuracy. I know my electrical meter is rated and certified by UL laboratories to be accurate within reasonable tolerances. I know my gas meter has similar testing and certification before it was ever placed into service. And above all, I know that if I suspect these meters to be inaccurate I don't have to launch a lawsuit, I can challenge the accuracy within the regulatory framework and the company will be forced to prove the accuracy to the regulatory authorities and I can be certain an independent person without financial incentive has verified the accuracy.

That's the difference. Until there is regulation in place to make sure it's accurate it's not going to be trustworthy. This is hard to measure, and it's even harder for shared pipes like cable. I suspect that it won't be long after these types of systems are implemented before class action lawsuits launch and lawyers make a lot of money proving the systems aren't accurate because their is no independent certification. Regulation is a good thing for everyone involved. It helps the consumers by providing outlets for complaint and it protects the business. Only a fool would argue regulation is bad.