how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Accurate to 0.5%?

Well if I take Comcast's 250GB cap and take 0.5% of that, I get 125MB. So if even if there is outside verification, I can still sway +/- 125MB. That is a pretty good chunk of data to be in error about. If they are going to meter than they should allow that 125MB leeway in their overage calculation.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.
cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

1 edit

Re: Accurate to 0.5%?

said by n2jtx:

Well if I take Comcast's 250GB cap and take 0.5% of that, I get 125MB. So if even if there is outside verification, I can still sway +/- 125MB. That is a pretty good chunk of data to be in error about. If they are going to meter than they should allow that 125MB leeway in their overage calculation.
Yep. What would you think if the banks counted money to a 0.5% accuracy.

A slippery slope for sure.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

said by cooldude9919:

What would you think if the banks counted money to a 0.5% accuracy.
They already do. All your financial transactions are rounded to the nearest whole penny.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

said by espaeth:

They already do. All your financial transactions are rounded to the nearest whole penny.
Peter Gibbons: [Explaining the plan] Alright so when the sub routine compounds the interest is uses all these extra decimal places that just get rounded off. So we simplified the whole thing, we rounded them all down, drop the remainder into an account we opened.
Joanna: [Confused] So you're stealing?
Peter Gibbons: Ah no, you don't understand. It's very complicated. It's uh it's aggregate, so I'm talking about fractions of a penny here. And over time they add up to a lot.
Joanna: Oh okay. So you're gonna be making a lot of money, right?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
Joanna: Right. It's not yours?
Peter Gibbons: Well it becomes ours.
Joanna: How is that not stealing?
Peter Gibbons: [pauses] I don't think I'm explaining this very well.
Joanna: Okay.
Peter Gibbons: Um... the 7-11. You take a penny from the tray, right?
Joanna: From the cripple children?
Peter Gibbons: No that's the jar. I'm talking about the tray. You know the pennies that are for everybody?
Joanna: Oh for everybody. Okay.
Peter Gibbons: Well those are whole pennies, right? I'm just talking about fractions of a penny here. But we do it from a much bigger tray and we do it a couple a million times.

--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
But Comcast doesn't actually fine people for going over the cap, do they?

I thought (and I could be wrong) that they only inform/warn people who routinely go significantly over
cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

said by Bill Neilson:

I thought (and I could be wrong) that they only inform/warn people who routinely go significantly over
Yea i believe that is correct, but what if that changes? Though as the article says at least comcast had theirs tested, what about the other isps who are using a meter and we have no idea how accurate it is? Who says how accurate is accurate enough?

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA

said by cooldude9919:

said by Bill Neilson:

Yea i believe that is correct, but what if that changes? Though as the article says at least comcast had theirs tested, what about the other isps who are using a meter and we have no idea how accurate it is? Who says how accurate is accurate enough?
I suspect it will if they want to get some extra dough

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1
said by n2jtx:

And remember, the higher Comcast makes the cap, the larger that 0.5% error is and the more inaccurate the meter is....

Go back to checking your email. Then you won't have to worry about hitting the cap.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army