Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

I hope this works!

I have a new (potential) YEAR ROUND JOB starting next week. There is a new restaurant opening, and I was asked to join the crew. I accepted, and the place opens to public next Thursday.
I will start work prepping and stocking starting this Saturday.

I am both very nervous of this new adventure, as well as very excited. If it works out, 1) I have a year round job. 2) I'll make 2x what I have been working seasonally!
But if it flops...... That is another problem.

Wish me luck. I really need this to work!

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Good luck!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

Good luck!
Thank you!

chiefeyes
join:2001-08-14
Thomaston, ME

chiefeyes to Dominokat

to Dominokat
Good luck DK

capecoddah
join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
I'm not a religious type of guy, but this cant hurt:
Saint Lawrence, Patron Saint of Cooks

St. Laurence,
pray for us,
that the flames of Divine love
may burn away all traces of vice within us,
and that we may be practical and zealous
in the service of the poor.

Amen.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
Rudyard Kipling

Maybe I'll get there this spring...
FRESH EVERYTHING!

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

TOMORROW!!!!!!!
Start prepping and stocking stuff for opening Thursday.

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium Member
join:2008-01-11
Out There

JRSlater

Premium Member

Good luck! Sounds like a brand new and fun adventure your about to start.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

Well, I've spent the last few days working with my new srew and sorroundings. Yesterday was really my "first" day and it was well, different until I got to know my co workers and the new kitchen set up.
Today was allot better. And I spent allot of time REORGANIZING the kitchen. (I hate disorganization and it was a mess. Couldn't find s**t without looking everywhere) which in the end everyone was happy with. Obviously, I also have been prepping foods also.
And so far, we are getting good reviews from those we let sample the foods we test. There wasn't a recipe for anything on the new menu so we have just been trying and sampling until we found what we like.

But the real test will be Thursday, the first day of opening.
As I wrote before, I am both very exited about this new opportunity, as well as scared to death.

On another note: Two days ago I got a call fro yet another restaurant asking me to work for them. (Which by the way, is also year round) I let them know I had this new job going, but they also told me that if this shouldn't work out, please call.

So no matter what happens, I have a job...... SOMEPLACE!

I guess I have a better reputation then I ever thought I did.

JRSlater
Premium Member
Out There

JRSlater

Premium Member

That's awesome news... you must be doing something right! Good for you.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
Good luck Dk,
I hope you don't have to go 'Ramsey' on the staff!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· =related

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 edit

Dominokat

Premium Member

I love watching Ramsy! I would not work for him if he was always like that, but I did once work with an owner that did flip out almost as bad. She went off on me for no reason and I didn't deserve it. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time and she flipped on me. I looked at her told her to F off, I don't need this and left.
2 hours later she called and apologized for ever until I said Okay. She never flipped on me again!

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
I watched a couple Ramsey Hell Kitchens last night and thought of you.

I've had one boss freak out on me, I sat and smiled and asked "Are you through?"

I've only had one meltdown myself; I/it wasn't pretty. I locked the doors to the lobby and went off for about 2 minutes. I can swear like the sailor I am and this DEFINITELY got their attention When I was through, I got normal and said "OK, let's get back to work.".

MrsFixitSC
IvVe Got A License To Chill
Premium Member
join:2001-12-09
Moncks Corner, SC

MrsFixitSC to Dominokat

Premium Member

to Dominokat
Good Luck Domino...hope it all works out to your hopes...

As for Ramsey...I enjoy the show, but sometimes he just goes a bit "overboard" with the rants...totally unnecessarily in many instances..these people are there to learn from him...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

OH MY GOD!!!!!
First of all. We opened Thursday and to my very big surprise, everything went incredibly smooth. The people I work with on the kitchen line and myself, all communicate very well and our time in between each other is spot on. Everyone was (is) very happy with the food and atmosphere.

The thing with me so far, is I am doing great. My boss loves my work. However, as many of you all know, For years I never had a winter job after mid October. After which, I sit on my ass in the recliner all winter! So I am again, just trying to get myself used to the very very long hours I am putting in days. 8:30am to 9:30+pm every day. Thankfully we close Sundays and Mondays. None the less I will get piles of over time.
By the time I get home I barley can keep my eyes open I am so tired. But with each day I am getting used to it again (as with summer) but now this is going to be year round!
If I gain 20 lbs in the winter and loos it in the summer as I have been working seasonally, what is going to happen to me working year round???????

Honestly though.... this job really has been going incredibly better then I thought and I am so happy with the crew and I actually like going to work!

How rare is that!

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
...as I plow into a batch of brownies...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

1 recommendation

Dominokat

Premium Member

We opened Thursday 1/14 for lunch and dinner. We were open Thursday through Saturday night. FYI- We are open every day except Sunday and Monday.

Though we have only had three days under our belt, it is a HUGE success. We are busy, and the buzz about town is great reviews also. So, there is little doubt this will be a successful place.

As for me, I have never felt co comfortable with a new crew and a new place. I am so glad this came along and I am loving it.

A web page for it is in progress, and when it is live I will post a link.

JRSlater
Premium Member
Out There

JRSlater

Premium Member

Sounds like your having fun. Need someone to come and photograph the food?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Absolutely RAVE reviews so far! This is undoubtably will be successful and I LOVE the crew I work with. We just "click" right from the start.

The "owner" , aka "money man" (not MY BOSS, who works for "the man" ) is setting up the web page. But the pictures he took of us cooks, IMO, aren't good as it was before we opened so we were in just street clothes. It would have been better if he got us "in uniform" but oh well....
It should be live soon and then we'll see how it looks.

That said, 5 days open, and we are already getting fantastic word of mouth reviews. (Especially MY pizzas!)

JRSlater
Premium Member
Out There

JRSlater

Premium Member

Awesome! Can't wait to see the website!

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

sashwa to Dominokat

Mod

to Dominokat
said by Dominokat:

But the pictures he took of us cooks, IMO, aren't good as it was before we opened so we were in just street clothes. It would have been better if he got us "in uniform" but oh well....
It should be live soon and then we'll see how it looks.

Does that mean you were wearing your skirt showing off your legs?

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

Does that mean you were wearing your skirt showing off your legs?
Not YET! Maybe when it warms up in the spring!
Dominokat

Dominokat

Premium Member

FYI:

Web page is up and working.

PS: I looks like the web sight is alive!

»www.amorebistro.com/

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

sashwa

Mod

Nice. I want 1 of everything.

I do have to say though that I was surprised at the prices. They are almost as much as here. Although the food is probably much better. I remember restraunt prices out there were much cheaper than out here.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

Those prices are about normal for this area and even in some cases, a little cheaper.

No one had yet complained about this pricing, and we remain busy and continue to get very good reviews so..... We must be doing something right!

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I figured that those were the going prices in the area. That is what surprised me. They are still cheaper than here but by not as big of a difference that I remember.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

You want a cheap meal, Go to McDonald's or Burger King.

We make EVERYTHING fresh. That makes for a quality good tasting product. And yes, it costs more.

We are about a quality and good meal. So that is going to cost a few extra dollars. But like said, not a single person has complained and most commented how happy they are to have a good year round place with home made food.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
Prices are a bit heavy, same market as I'm in, less competition though. $4 for bread is steep! I hope I get a postcard to send home about the rolls. Need a larger pizza. Calzone spinach and sausage hot/mild. Lobster calzone works, give it some thought.
More seafood. A clam sauce. Maybe a lobster sauce. Italians love good seafood. Mussels are under appreciated.
Work on some specials, I'd like to see the beer and wine menu.

I have faith in you.

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium Member
Boothbay, ME

Dominokat

Premium Member

The menu and pricing is still a work in progress. We had nothing to do with it, it was put together buy the owners IN FLORIDA. Us cooks discussed all this last night and once a few months go by, and we (And the owners) get a chance to see what is selling and what isn't, it will be worked over WITH OUR INPUT this time. So, it is still a work in progress until it comes together before the summer.
Dominokat

Dominokat

Premium Member

The Boss
Click for full size
The dinning room

2nd chef
No pics of me. I am behind the camera.

capecoddah
Yarmouth Port, MA

capecoddah to Dominokat

to Dominokat
Just some suggestions. I've been thinking about how to make a lobster calzone. Probably cook the Hell into it and make it rubber. A good lobster sauce or 2 should be in your Maineiac repertoire. Shred or chunk over a pasta bed.

Again, I have great faith in you. You made a whiz-bang stuffing a couple years back.

Keep it local, keep it fresh!

damn, now I'm hungry....