spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bossk25
join:2007-11-29
Mount Clemens, MI

bossk25

WOW and motorola SB6120

Just purchased a docsis 3.0 modem and WOW is telling me I wont be able to get 15mb/2mb service because it s a "customer owned" modem. But even after bumping me down to the 8mb/1mb (until they can get a tech out) service i still am only getting 50k/DLs and 10k/ULs. Odd thing is I am connected to the net, albeit slowly, but if I try to ping anything from the cmd prompt it times out, this happens either hard wired to the modem, wired to router, or over wifi. WOW also cannot see my modem on their network. A tech is scheduled to come out this Saturday with a "WOW modem" and to troubleshoot the issue at hand. I saw a few people have also had a similar issue but no one, including WOW, seems to have a reason why a docsis 3.0 modem cant support their 15mb speed...
keepgoing1
join:2006-09-08
Clinton Township, MI

keepgoing1

The docsis 3 modems do not work well on the wow system at all. Have seen these a few times and its the same thing across the board, slow speeds and they cant see it. Do yourself a favor and get a webstar dpc 2100 and you will be able to get 15/2.
roswell
join:2009-05-09

roswell

I don't suppose WOW has an approved list of cable modems anywhere, like this one?

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Comcast has at least 10 approved DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems at the top of the list.

jj84
@wideopenwest.com

jj84

Anon

Thanks, I just got one and am having the same problem -- took wow about 30min to get it to work. Then now that it does it is fast at first then slows down, almost like when you download something with comcast powerboost, really fast then slows to a crawl.

Guess this answeres the question if WOW is going to DOCSIS 3.0 anytime soon.

I will say that when I called WOW the lady was very friendly and wanted to help.

WOWer
@wideopenwest.com

WOWer to roswell

Anon

to roswell
said by roswell:

I don't suppose WOW has an approved list of cable modems anywhere, like this one?
Of course not. Stuff like that is for competent cable companies, not WOW.

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

Inflex

said by WOWer :

said by roswell:

Of course not. Stuff like that is for competent cable companies, not WOW.
Why are you still a WOW customer if you are so dissatisfied?

WOWer
@wideopenwest.com

WOWer

Anon

said by Inflex:

Because WOW is still beating Comcast in the price to speed ratio. Once that changes, and it's supposed to in a few weeks with Comcast's DOCSIS 3.0 rollout, I will be gone.

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

Inflex

said by WOWer :

said by Inflex:

Because WOW is still beating Comcast in the price to speed ratio. Once that changes, and it's supposed to in a few weeks with Comcast's DOCSIS 3.0 rollout, I will be gone.
In other words, you're getting what you pay for.

WOWer
@wideopenwest.com

WOWer

Anon

said by Inflex:

In other words, you're getting what you pay for.
When it comes down to it, the speed to price ratio is king. It takes a lot to overcome that. However, if the Comcast upgrades weren't just weeks away, I would have already switched. WOW has done enough screwy things to overcome the speed to price ratio for me. Since there is a good alternative, I don't see any good reason to continue giving WOW my business.

Clearly I'm not the only one who feels this way, either. Look at how many regular posters in this forum have already left. This company is a hollow shell of what it used to be. I was the first person in my city 8(?) years ago to be hooked up to WideOpen Internet, as it was known back then, so I know what this company used to be.
afidel
join:2006-02-24
North Royalton, OH

afidel to bossk25

to bossk25
God this pisses me off, they jack the cable modem rental fee to $5 and then their incompetence means I can't buy a modem that actually makes sense to buy. Why would I buy a DOCSIS 2 modem at this point since the price difference between a SB6101U and a SB6120 is ~$20 and the SB6120 should be good for as long as the hardware lasts and the SB6101U is already out of date?

Maybe I should just call and complain and get the rental fee knocked off/back down until they can make it work.
AaronKinder
join:2005-01-26
Lincoln Park, MI

AaronKinder

in all seriousness you should switch if possible.
forfuchsake
join:2010-03-29

forfuchsake to afidel

to afidel
Same problem here. Upgrade from 2Mb to 8Mb, only getting 4.2Mb with SB4200. Bought a SB6120 and it won't go over 0.5Mb and they are unable to see the modem. I wish I would have checked here before wasting $95. Had a service call scheduled but I called back, downgraded to 2Mb again and told them I'll be switching to Comcast.

I told the CSR that I found it odd that they won't support either modem of mine and asked how they expected to keep customers if they can't support speeds unless you buy their modem. He sympathized but had nothing else to say.

I certainly would love to stay with the cheaper service, however this is ridiculous. This modem is DOCSIS 2.0 compatible so they need to fix their junk.
wowcoder
join:2010-03-04

wowcoder to bossk25

to bossk25
Not sure if you all have seen this, specifically the comments - a customer complaining about the SB6120 and some explanations from Steve Stanfill, the VP of telephony. Long story short, doesn't seem like the SB6120 will ever be "officially" supported.

There is one comment where he talks about the bin files and why the modem is probably defaulting to lower speeds... and another one where he talks about WOW not having a relation with Motorola.

»www.thewowbuzz.com/blog/ ··· csis-3-0
wowcoder

wowcoder to roswell

to roswell
Doesn't look like based on this comment from Steve Stanfill, a VP at WOW (4th comment down):

»www.thewowbuzz.com/blog/ ··· csis-3-0

"I have asked our data team for a list of modems that are currently supported by specific “bin” files that are maintained by our technical staff, and I will post that list in an upcoming blog entry."
forfuchsake
join:2010-03-29

forfuchsake

When is WOW going to figure out that people who buy these modems aren't the average fool that they think we are? I just read the comments on that blog and it just makes me shake my head in disgust. Apparently when the smoke didn't stay where it was blown, then the truth trickled out.
afidel
join:2006-02-24
North Royalton, OH

afidel to bossk25

to bossk25
Hmm, the newest post by Steve gives at least a glimmer of hope, looks like they are meeting with Moto and are going to work with them to create bin files. I'd imagine the SB6120 would have to be one of the models since it was mentioned by everyone complaining and will probably soon be the only Moto model for sale at retail.