Search similar:

uniqs

Jason986
@cox.net

Jason986

Anon

[ PHONE] Cox Digital Voice & Faxes

Hi,

I am a Cox subscriber in San Diego County and recently added voice to my existing TV and Internet access services. After some initial hiccups, the phone service has been working fine.

I have one phone line in the house that's used exclusively for faxes that I kept on AT&T. I would like to dump AT&T entirely and consolidate everything to Cox, but I am leery of how Cox's Digital Voice service will handle faxing since it's VOIP-based.

Cox's salespeople have assured me that their phone service is fully compatible with fax machines and that I won't have any problems with it, however, I see no mention of compatibility (or lack thereof) with faxes on the Cox San Diego website.

Does the Cox Digital Voice service play well with fax machines? Or do I need to keep plain old telephone service to be able to send/receive faxes reliably?

Thanks!

almex
Premium Member
join:2001-09-18
Chandler, AZ

almex

Premium Member

While its not a dedicated fax line, my fax machine has worked great with my Cox phone line. My parents also use their Cox phone line for occasional faxes in Phoenix and never had any problems.

NoVA_CoxUser
Stand back from the cage -- The RF bites
Premium Member
join:2004-07-06
Alexandria, VA

4 edits

NoVA_CoxUser to Jason986

Premium Member

to Jason986
FYI:

I run a dial-up modem (for some older, special-purpose hardware) over my Cox Digital Phone connection w/o any problems whatsoever.

A fax should work just fine.

Fubar16
join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ

Fubar16 to Jason986

to Jason986
Faxes work fine on mine also!

Cox serves Small Businesses the same it services residences and they send and recieve Faxes all day long with no problems...
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41 to Jason986

Premium Member

to Jason986
cox voice is the same as regular phone service.

DDR329
@cox.net

DDR329 to Jason986

Anon

to Jason986
To save some money look into the distinctive ring. You can set up your fax to pick up after one ring for the D-ring number and this will save you a good amount per month.
rokit_armor
join:2010-01-11
Manhattan, KS

rokit_armor to Jason986

to Jason986
Distinctive ring is a very good option.
If you do wish to keep a completely dedicated line for fax, I would make sure you do not have voicemail on that line. I have seen the stutter dialtone VM indicator cause faxes not to dial out correctly, only when the number is pre-dialed before tone is broken though.

Other than that, our telephone system is 100% just as good as the other guys, it's not a true voip system, and even at&t's system is transistioning to a similar voip setup.

NoVA_CoxUser
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

1 edit

NoVA_CoxUser

Premium Member

said by rokit_armor:

... our [Cox] telephone system is 100% just as good as the other guys, it's not a true voip system ...
What do you mean by the bolded part of your statement?

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Traditional VOIP phone providers run your voice traffic over an Internet connection whereas with your phone service your call travels via a digital network rather than an Internet connection.

NoVA_CoxUser
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

2 edits

NoVA_CoxUser to Jason986

Premium Member

to Jason986
The way I'd phrase it is "traditional / internet" VoIP providers do not "manage" their VoIP Networks.

(They basically launch their packets across the unmanged public internet, cross their fingers, and hope for the best.)

Cox -- as a facilities-based provider -- DOES manage their VoIP network. (just as many facilities manage their own in-building VoIP-based PABX systems)

Both models are "true VoIP" ... but clearly a managed VoIP network is far superior to the unmanaged "hope for the best" approach.

I do wonder if this is what rokit_armor See Profilewas getting at ???
swmagazine
join:2008-08-17

swmagazine

Lowering your transmission rate and disabling error correction on your fax machine enables faxing to have a better chance of working on digital lines.