spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SK2
@cavtel.net

SK2

Anon

[Modem] DSL signal drops every so often

Anyone know a reason why a DSL signal would be nice & steady for a day or so, then drop every 15 minutes? We have Cavalier here in MD. They sent out a technician who saw the problem, determined it was an outside line issue and sent Verizon. They came today, but because our signal was fine today, they just left without fixing anything. They are supposed to be coming back out again. But I still don't see why we are having a problem in the first place. We've been with Cavalier for about a year, this problem has only been for the past month or so. Days of a good signal, then a day of crap-unplugging, rebooting, etc. Sometimes the signal won't even come back on. My husband and I thought maybe it is something to do with Verizon, Verizon Fios is now available in my area-and this happened recently. Maybe they did something to the lines.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt

MVM

Does DSL share voice phone line? If so how is telephone voice quality, any noise or crosstalk?

Copper phone circuits degrade and need ongoing maintenance.

/tom
JohnA4
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

JohnA4 to SK2

Premium Member

to SK2
said by SK2 :

My husband and I thought maybe it is something to do with Verizon, Verizon Fios is now available in my area-and this happened recently. Maybe they did something to the lines.
Do the disruptions occur during the day? They don't intentionally "do" anything that would cause this type of problem, but it's not impossible.

Overbuilding is a complex process, much of which occurs underground, in tight quarters, where both the copper and fiber co-exist.

Is your phone service affected when this occurs? The phone is actually more fragile than the DSL, when you're looking at things like a bad splice, or wire break.

SK2
@cavtel.net

SK2 to SK2

Anon

to SK2
We've never noticed problems with our phone, maybe a little static here & there but at the times where we have no signal for the internet, our phone is working fine.