spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

geoSpokane

@comcast.net

HSI Usage meter

HSI usage meter coming to Seattle and Spokane markets on Monday the 12th.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

1 edit
Over several days next week, you are correct that the meter will be rolled out to some additional markets in the area you mention.
--
JL
Comcast

inferno4

join:2008-07-06
Wonder how long it will take to come to Mississippi.... lol....

rcarovano

join:2000-10-07
Seattle, WA
reply to geoSpokane
How do I access the usage meter? Is there a direct link?

Thanks for your guidance!

Ron

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA
reply to geoSpokane
Toady is Monday the 11th.

Did you mean April or July?

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to rcarovano
»Data Usage Meter Launched
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

Underplay

join:2003-10-19
Tacoma, WA
reply to geoSpokane

People still watch TV?

Just another reason for competition to move in and hopefully put comcast in its place.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to geoSpokane

It's here, it's here...

It's here, got the email today.

I guess I am also considered the Seattle market.

I will compare it's results to DD-WRT and see if it is indeed accurate.
---

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer

We are pleased to announce the pilot launch of the Comcast Usage Meter in your area. This new feature is available to Comcast High-Speed Internet customers and provides an easy way to check total monthly household high-speed Internet data usage at any time. Monthly data usage is the amount of data, such as images, movies, photos, videos, and other files that customers send, receive, download or upload each month. Comcast measures total data usage and does not monitor specific customer activities to determine data usage.

The current data usage allowance for the Comcast High-Speed Internet service is 250GB per month. This means that the vast majority of our customers - around 99% currently - will not come close to using 250GB of data in a month, and do not need to check the usage meter.

To view your current data usage, please visit »customer.comcast.com and sign in to customerCentral (shown below).

The usage meter is only available to Primary user accounts and Unrestricted Secondary user accounts with billing access.

If you would like to learn more about the usage meter, and how it works please visit »networkmanagement.comcast.net/da···eter.htm for more information. Please visit our customer support forums at »forums.comcast.net if you would like to ask us more questions or post comments. You can also click here to chat with a customer service representative, or call 800-928-1614 for assistance.

Thank you for choosing Comcast!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
said by b10010011:

Ya can't really do that exactly. There's gonna be some stuff that hits your modem which will get measured by their meter but doesn't go thru the LAN side of the router to be measured by the router's measuring mechanism.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to geoSpokane

Re: HSI Usage meter

wonder when Philly metro is due for the meter, would think HQ service area would be first lol.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 edits
reply to EG

Re: It's here, it's here...

said by EG:

said by b10010011:

Ya can't really do that exactly. There's gonna be some stuff that hits your modem which will get measured by their meter but doesn't go thru the LAN side of the router to be measured by the router's measuring mechanism.
How much of a difference could there be? A few hundred Kilobytes?
Edit: Somebody already did the comparison: »Quick DD-WRT Comparison

The difference was 21GB or 10%. Still, that doesn't matter since the cap isn't hard and there's no overage fee.
Could somebody do a further comparison with NetMeter or another software bandwidth monitor?
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
said by heat84:

Umm, I did say "exactly"..

heat84
Bit Torrent Apologist

join:2004-03-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by EG:

said by heat84:

Umm, I did say "exactly"..
Sorry. I guess I should've said: So what? How much of a difference could there be?

I never expected 20GB though. But since Comcast hasn't gone communist yet, I don't see why it matters.
--
Bit Torrent is my DVR.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
Whatever....

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium
join:2009-01-17
kudos:3
reply to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I am interested in this as well, as I have installed DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT300N about 2-3 months ago and can hopefully compare my data with Comcast's meter (when it arrivies in Colorado)

Alereon

join:2004-02-18
Olympia, WA
reply to geoSpokane

I'm showing about a 22 GB discrepancy, the Comcast meter has logged 142GB of traffic, my router has only logged a bit under 120GB this month. December's totals seem accurate to within 2GB, but the November totals are actually under by about 25GB.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by Alereon:

I'm showing about a 22 GB discrepancy, the Comcast meter has logged 142GB of traffic, my router has only logged a bit under 120GB this month. December's totals seem accurate to within 2GB, but the November totals are actually under by about 25GB.
You should read »netforecast.com/documents/NFR510···racy.pdf. In particular, page 3, page 6, page 9 and page 10.
--
JL
Comcast

ca tech

join:2009-12-30
San Pablo, CA
reply to Underplay

Re: People still watch TV?

said by Underplay:

Just another reason for competition to move in and hopefully put comcast in its place.
yes because you have noticed you have been on this cap for months? and just about every isp has some form of usage cap? this tool is just a easy way for those that use the internet enough to care about a cap that is already in place.

there are very few legal ways to hit a 1/4 terabyte a month without also violating your eula and tos. A 250 gig limit is roughly equal to downloading a 139 netflix hd movies or 7 hours a day of movies for 30 solid days
--
[insert standard disclaimer here]

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 edit
reply to EG

Re: It's here, it's here...

said by EG:

said by b10010011:

But that is the point of comparing now isn't it?

I mean I should not be "charged" for data that I do not consume.

I know, I know, I am not actually being charged, but this is the first step towards metered billing and someday we might be charged for it.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to heat84
said by heat84:

Could somebody do a further comparison with NetMeter or another software bandwidth monitor?
Software based monitors are not usful in my situation as they only monitor bandwidth of the one computer it is installed on.

I have five desktops, three netbooks, a laptop, a Wii, and a Tivo that access the internet from my home.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
reply to b10010011
said by b10010011:

I mean I should not be "charged" for data that I do not consume.
I highly encourage you read the NetForecast doc at »netforecast.com/documents/NFR510···racy.pdf.

A lot of folks think if they transfer a 10MB file, the usage should be exactly 10MB. But this does not account for factors like protocol overhead and retransmission, etc. It'd be like trying to ship something via UPS without putting an address label on it or putting it in a box. But I digress...
--
JL
Comcast

jus10

join:2009-08-04
Sterling, VA
I don't suppose there is any chance in getting a basic Comcast dashboard to get this info without login? Similar to what DD-WRT does, or say a cable modem when you go to 192.168.100.1. Basically, I'd like to be able to go to just »config.comcast.net (or whatever address) and to get a read-only page with my meter read, is the dns helper on, do have any "OMG you're compromised" notes from the NAC, etc. If it could just be tied to my IP/cable modem Mac, DOCSIS Magic, I think it would be easier to just get information from Comcast rather than try to figure out what my password is, log in, etc, etc.

I occasionally do support for the um, less tech savy and if I could just have them go to a page which says their meter read, if they have security issues, etc, etc, I think that would make my life easier.

I understand requiring login's to change settings, but to just get info, its a bit of a pain.

modemslayer

join:2003-12-11
Spokane, WA
reply to geoSpokane

I'm in Spokane, and I received an email heralding the coming of the new bandwidth usage meter, but I followed the directions in the email and there's no link to it.

I spent some time clicking around and it looks like I can't see the shiny new meter because it doesn't think I'm the primary account holder. Cable bill is probably in my wife's name even though it comes out of my paycheck and I'm the household authority for all things internet (and auto, and spider killing).

I don't even think she knows the login information since she just pays the bill, so thanks for yanking my chain!

HunterZ

join:2003-07-16
Kent, WA
Not seeing it in Kent, WA, although I'm hearing that people in Tacoma can see it. What gives?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to modemslayer
said by modemslayer:

I don't even think she knows the login information since she just pays the bill, so thanks for yanking my chain!
There is a customer service phone number on the bill. She can call customer service and get help logging in to the primary account if she has lost or forgotten that information.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to HunterZ
said by HunterZ:

Not seeing it in Kent, WA, although I'm hearing that people in Tacoma can see it. What gives?
From the second post in this thread:

said by jlivingood:

Over several days next week, you are correct that the meter will be rolled out to some additional markets in the area you mention.
We are just now finishing the third day of a M-F work week and already some markets are seeing it.

I have been watching, too, since I'm closer to Seattle than most who have posted here, but Jason's words didn't guarantee I will be in the current test market. Just hoping.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

Frustrated1

@fda.gov
reply to geoSpokane
What about the rest of the country?

After a year, I'd think Comcast could handle more than a very narrow pilot...

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
What would happen if Comcast didn't take the time to do it right?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't....
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White

1 edit
reply to geoSpokane
^ +1

lets be theoretical and say for a minute that comcast decided to hit every CMTS with the upgrade. Then all of a sudden Arris or Cisco or whoever goes..

OH SUGAR HONEY ICE TEA STOP!!!!!!!!

Because they realised a incompatibility with a specific module. Then the whole network has been mangled and having problems while the backout plans are engaged, Which takes time.

The whole point of doing selective roll-outs is to say "Ok, so we just hit a Cisco Model Blah blah blah and everything is all clear so lets give the Cisco's the green light. But wait the Arris we hit needs to be backed out. So more work needs to be done on these. Good thing only X ammount of people were impacted instead of the entire region"

It's no different then when Microsoft, or Apple, or any software company develops something new, it goes through Beta testing. To put it into perspective, the CMTS' and backend systems are being Beta tested.

HunterZ

join:2003-07-16
Kent, WA
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

said by modemslayer:

There is a customer service phone number on the bill. She can call customer service and get help logging in to the primary account if she has lost or forgotten that information.
Actually I believe that the proper protocol for account recovery is to use Comcast's online support chat system. I had to do it that way a couple weeks ago because my wife created our account and promptly forgot the name and password. They asked me some verification questions, then reset the password and gave me the account name and new password.