btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
join:2002-10-13
Dallas, TX

btaylor1

MVM

new smtp.att.yahoo.com problem

i have been using smtp.att.yahoo.com for outgoing client mail pretty much problemlessly the past couple of years. mid day today, with no settings changes, i started getting the following failures, over and over, ONLY wirelessly at the house:

Sen Message Error
Sending of message Failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.att.yahoo.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

well, i had my wife send me a test message from her hardwired clone, and it worked fine. i tried my own profile on hardwired clone, and it worked fine. i then tried again on my wireless laptop, her profile and mine, and got the failure message quoted above, every time. we're using mozilla thunderbird port 465 and SSL. it's been working fine for a couple of years. and today, with no explanation i can figure out, failure messages commenced middle of day today, wirelessly only. (wireless worked earlier today.)

i have for now switched the wireless laptop to send out via pop.1and1.com and it works fine, except every message takes about three to five times as long to send as i'm used to going out smtp.att.yahoo.com

any help or ideas appreciated! thx

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

That sounds like an error in your router, rather than other stuff. At least, on my box, 1&1 is set up on port 587. I can't see the port that being used by AT&T SMTP. (It's hidden somewhere in my anti-virus setup. )

btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
Dallas, TX

2 edits

btaylor1

MVM

thanks for your thought. does it consider the same router has been in place, operating flawlessly in this scenario, for a year or two before today's issues started? thanks again for your thought, i appreciate

PS, wireless is otherwise fine. i need to read your message more carefully; i'm probably so frustrated that i may be missing a good clue you're supplying. thx again

LAST PS, when i fell back to smtp.1and1.com, i had to go to default port 25 and unsecured. 1and1 is not the issue; it's my fallback. my issue is working port 465 ssl smtp.att.yahoo.com TODAY quit working on wireless side; same settings hardwired continue working!

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit

McSummation

Premium Member

The router (or access point) seemed to me to be the only thing that's different between the wired mode and wireless modes. That is, if I read your post correctly that the laptop works in wired mode, but not wireless.

Maybe the router has decided it doesn't want to route port 465 outbound from a wireless IP.

BTW, this is as screwy as my son-in-law's router and my laptop - works fine wired mode, in wireless it gets through the security, gets an IP address, then won't route. We're both not fresh off the cabbage truck, but neither of us could figure that one out. Having fun at Christmas got in the way of serious debugging, though.

PS to your PS - I was just pointing out that 1&1 uses different port.

systech
join:2001-03-16
Richardson, TX

systech to btaylor1

to btaylor1
I have been having the same issue you described. It started yesterday midday sometime. I do not use wireless. All my computers are hardwired. Both computers that I have email clients on give the same error message. I can usually recieve, but can't send. I use OE on one and regular Outllook on the other. I have had the same setup for three years.

btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
Dallas, TX

btaylor1

MVM

today's update. my wife started having same occasional failures today with her hardwired desktop sending out smtp.att.yahoo.com. i did something i should have earlier and powered down u-verse residential gateway and an extra wifi router i use. i then powered on all computers with no router turned on at all and browsed to IE failure. then i turned off all the computers and powered on u-verse residential gateway and the extra router.

results: my wife's "child" account now again sends fine from hardwired desktop via smtp.att.yahoo.com. my personal mail goes out fine via smtp.att.yahoo.com from hardwired desktop "and" from my laptop, both when hardwired ethernet and when runing only wirelessly. BUT my wife's child account mail fails over and over going out smtp.att.yahoo.com from my laptop. (i have a copy of her profile on it too so she can use client mail when we're on visiting family.)

i wonder if things might be on the road to sorting out, but when i've experienced these occasional "message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.att.yahoo.com failed" they sometimes took a few days before things got fully back to normal (for a while!)

Johnny NG
@swbell.net

Johnny NG to btaylor1

Anon

to btaylor1
ATT has changed to smtp.mail.att.com instead of smtp.mail.att.yahoo.com.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

To the anon poster, I'm using smtp.att.yahoo.com and mine works just fine.

btaylor1 See Profile, I think that's what you said you were using, too.

systech
join:2001-03-16
Richardson, TX

systech to btaylor1

to btaylor1
I just found out what was causing my outgoing issues on my email. I stumbled across the answer doing a google search. The date on our computer was wrong. It was ahead by three days and apparently the yahoo servers were kicking the emails back. That's crazy. My email was working on Jan8. Now that I have fixed the computer time everything is working perfectly again. Crazy.

btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
Dallas, TX

1 edit

btaylor1 to Johnny NG

MVM

to Johnny NG
said by Johnny NG :

ATT has changed to smtp.mail.att.com instead of smtp.mail.att.yahoo.com.
i'm not using EITHER of these. (i'm using smtp.att.yahoo.com instead.) do you have an authoritative source for your info? thx!
btaylor1

btaylor1

MVM

my problem with wife's outgoing is SOLVED

i was using incorrect p/w. now have corrected and am fine. maybe the special power cycling recounted earlier was the solution

SORRY for others' time i wasted! and thx again

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

You know, sometimes we overlook "obvious" things. I need to put this in the "questions to be asked next time" file.

Glad you got it fixed.

btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
Dallas, TX

1 edit

btaylor1

MVM

man, same problem from 1-9 has started again this morning 2-4:

Sending of message Failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.att.yahoo.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

figures right before the weekend.

AH WAIT. i see the att-provided mcafee was running a scan. i restarted the machine, and with the mcafee off after restart, mail sent out fine. maybe have learned something. sorry for any wasted time!

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium Member
Fort Worth, TX

McSummation

Premium Member

The SMTP servers occasionally have to be recycled (rebooted). I had this same type problem with my 1&1 account a couple of days ago. I just let it keep retrying, in 20 minutes, or so, the message went successfully.

btaylor1
Don't Tread On My Avatar
MVM
Dallas, TX

btaylor1

MVM

thanks. this problem has just magically sorted out for me in the past too, but not 20 minutes later. more like a couple of days.

»port 465 and SSL have suddenly quit working

i obviously don't have the technical savvy of many people here, but i speculate sometimes changes get made arbitrarily, without notice, and then when enough people have their mail messed up, some goes in and quietly fixes the problem, again without notice. sezme!
clanmcgregor
join:2003-06-07
Suwanee, GA

clanmcgregor to btaylor1

to btaylor1
My problem is similar in nature, but I get a different message and has not been corrected at all...yet. All this began on either Tuesday or Wednesay of last week (02/03) - prior to that, my settings were working flawlessly, as they had been for over a year.

I get an SMTP error "Cannot send mail. The user name or password for SMTP: emailaddress@smtp.att.yahoo.com is incorrect". The message eventually sends out, although an hour or so later. Several calls to AT&T and they state that I have to use the Yahoo link on the iphones mail setup, but quite honestly, I don't like the whole web mail look and feel of it and would rather have setuo vi pop & smtp.

AT&T, to get me off of their backs after an hour and a half of tech support, throws me to an Apple Customer Care rep who indicates that I should be using cwmx.com as the SMTP protocol.

Does anyone know what is going on? Beyond frustrating.
stardotstar
join:2000-12-13
Barker, TX

1 edit

stardotstar to btaylor1

to btaylor1

Just add this to the list

have posted many times over the last few months regarding mail issues.

Many want to believe its your software or something you have done, but that makes no sense since it has worked for years in some cases.

ATT has serious mail issues in my opinion, unfortunately their is no one we can get to listen because they dont care about mail.

Using the server numbers also has been posted before, this morning I am now getting errors using those, instead of the actual names.
TronixA
join:2001-12-22
Vacaville, CA
·1-VoIP
·Callcentric

TronixA

Having the same issue here.. I decided to *try* their 24/7 help desk support just to see what they could do. I was connected to a lady from India who for some reason couldn't wrap her head around the fact that the issue was not with my email configuration (I probably have more computer experience in years than her age ) She connected remotely to my computer and would not give up...She spent 30 minutes trying to reconfigure my email client and trying different settings which I was confident wouldn't work.

Sadly, I would ditch AT&T in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that they are the only VDSL game in town and I hate Comcast even more so I guess I'm sticking with the lesser of two evils. AT&T Uverse service is crap...no Usenet servers like other ISPs and their network I believe needs upgrading because you get occasional lost packets which case you to have to use the reload button on the browser to reload the web page. When I had Sonic.net, I never had an issue. I wish I could have kept them but out where I live, I can't get reliable regular DSL service.
stardotstar
join:2000-12-13
Barker, TX

1 edit

stardotstar

Yeah I am waiting for the posts that say its Outlook, when I switched to the server numbers several months ago, all of my problems went away. They also tried to blame it on my blackberry, but it does this when it is off also.

Now as is typical and out of the blue, mail issues again.
Expand your moderator at work

jwhorfin
Premium Member
join:2000-10-22
Here

jwhorfin to stardotstar

Premium Member

to stardotstar

Re: Just add this to the list

Just popping in from the northeast forum to report ATT Mail continues to suck!
And I still sign in then sign out on the ATT webpage then I am able to receive again in my email client, just on my primary account on a daily basis. Sub accounts are still perfect.

»pop.att.yahoo mail server rejecting logon for RECEIVE tonigh

»Unable to send email POP3 - New Haven CT area

»Recent E-mail issues

»AT&T YAhoo Email Customers - servers are down...
wasp88
join:2002-09-20
Kansas City, MO

wasp88 to btaylor1

to btaylor1

Re: new smtp.att.yahoo.com problem

No luck today in KC. Working fine till around Noon.