how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

raybjur

join:2010-01-09
Holmdel, NJ

[HD] Cisco RNG - 150 & Vizio HDTV - Cable box loses programming

I recently installed a new Vizio HDTV and Comcast provided a HD cable box (Cisco RNG-150). The TV is connected via an HDMI cable to the box.

My problem is when the cable box is turned off for more than 2 hours, it loses it's mind. When turned back on it says "Not Authorized" and turns itself off. After about 5 minutes, I turn the box on and it boots up and displays the logo screen and after a few minutes, it reloads and works fine - until it's turned off again. I had picked up 2 of these boxes so I tried the other box - same condition exactly. Comcast came out and checked signal levels which he said was fine. He replaced the box again (all RNG-150s) and the next day when the box was turned on, SAME problem.

Any help from the Pros here will be much appreciated.
Thanks for being here!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 edit

Re: [HD] Cisco RNG - 150 & Vizio HDTV - Cable box loses programm

Explain your problem here (»Comcast Direct) - you need a tech visit and a new box.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

MagilaGorila

join:2009-12-08
Falmouth, MA
reply to raybjur
By any chance do you shut off the power by a "surge protector" type device that actually cuts incoming power?

raybjur

Holmdel, NJ
Power is directly from wall outlet, no surge suppressors. No other device on that circuit loses power.

beachintech
Premium
reply to raybjur
Not on a light switch or anything?

wilson

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
I too have the same problem! I have tried 3 different boxes and around 3 tech visits and still experience the problem. We now leave the HD box on and just turn the tv on/off. I also have a panasonic tv and it does not do this. I think it may be associated with the Vizio tv and the comcast DHCP somehow, but not sure.

spider77

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
I was having the same problem, I think it has something to do with the comcast remote. I would use it to turn on/off the box and it would happen. I am now using a Logitech Harmony Universal remote to control my TV/Cable Box/Surround Sound and no more problems!

beavercable
Premium
join:2008-05-11
Beaverton, OR
reply to raybjur
When the last tech came out did he replace both the box and the power supply or just the box?

wilsona

join:2010-01-10
Charleston, SC
reply to raybjur
He replaced the box but not the power cord. Later on I had a message display something like "DVI - TV not DHCP compatible please use the component connection". Now in the menu settings where you set the picture format it displays "DVI auto" instead of "HDMI auto" although it's connected via HDMI cables. Also my other tv says "DVI auto" but used to say "HDMI auto".

beachintech
Premium
reply to wilson
Wilson , you need to start your own thread as I think your problem is elsewhere. HDCP (Not DHCP) is not something comcast created. It is a control protocol that your TV needs to have and the box needs to be able to communicate with to use a digital connection (HDMI). If you are getting that error message, either your TV isn't compatable with HDCP operation or something is wrong with the box.
--
Tech at the Beach.

CableJack

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
@raybjur: Hook the Cisco RNG-150 with component video and audio cables to your Vizio TV and turn it on and off like you were doing before to see if the problem persists.
If it still persists, request the SA 4250HDC and use HDMI. At least that box has a clock and buttons on the front, and it's about the same size as the RNG-150.

Let us know what you try and what the outcome is.

Thanks!

wilsona

join:2010-01-10
Charleston, SC
reply to raybjur
I posted in this thread instead of starting a new one because the problem I am having is the same as rayjur's.....it says the box is not authorized for use when turned on after being off for a period of time then shuts back off and when I start it back up it works after displaying the logo screen for a couple of minutes. The HDCP problem only happened once....the tv is compatible (not compatable) and I have tried several boxes (cisco and SA). The TV may be the problem, and I posted in this thread because it is also a Vizio. Thanks.

raybjur

Holmdel, NJ
reply to CableJack
CableJack,

That was it! You're my new hero, thank you!

When the TV is connected using HDMI cable, box loses programming when off.

When connected using Component cables, NO PROBLEM!

What remains to understand is WHY and IS THERE A FIX?

CableJack

@comcast.net
You're welcome for the help!

I would recommend you contacting Vizio to have them walk you through the menus and see if your TV is running the latest and greatest firmware. I bought a Vizio over a year ago and HDMI 1 on the Vizio and my Motorola DCT-3416 were not liking eachother. It kept on resetting the picture settings on my Motorola DVR everytime I turned them both back on. Then I tried HDMI 2, and it worked as it should. Vizio claimed they never heard of such a thing. Since it was within the return period, I returned it to Wal-Mart.
So, if you have the time and get really bored, try hooking the Cisco RNG-150 to another HDMI port and see what happens. You never know!
I believe the RNG-150's are running the newest approved code.
Let us know again if you try the other HDMI ports on the Vizio and what happens.
Thanks!

raybjur

Holmdel, NJ
I tried using HDMI 2 on Vizio - same brain death problem. Looks like Component is the only HD hook-up option that works with the RNG 150 box.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
said by raybjur:

I tried using HDMI 2 on Vizio - same brain death problem. Looks like Component is the only HD hook-up option that works with the RNG 150 box.
....or looks like Component is the only HD hook up that works with my Vizio TV.....

jokaye

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
I thought I was losing my mind! Comcast seems to think so too! They have returned my box 3 times and it still does it! Do we have an answer for it yet??

jokaye

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
By the way, my TV is an Element, not Vizio, but it acts exactly like the Vizio descriptions. So we have to buy new components when it's Comcast's problem?

beachintech
Premium
Comcast will give you Component cables. Why would you buy something?

We don't use those boxes in my system - so that's the only help I can give.
--
Tech at the Beach.

PTR

@comcast.net
reply to raybjur
I have the exact same issues with Comcast box and Vizio TV. Called Vizio and they hung up on me after telling me the TV works...have exchanged boxes sam problem...no problem with other TV's..............
I am returning Vizio