spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

emak

join:2009-08-28

1 edit

Seems like Covad wants to rob potential customers blind?

Here is the situation...I need a backup connection for when my cable internet goes down. Bellsouth DSL is all over my area, but I'm in a small pocket of no DSL service with them. However, Covad offers DSL for about $70 a month...and requires a contract as well as a $175 install fee. All this for I believe 1.5m service...this price is like more than 200% of what Bellsouth would charge plus that ridiculous install fee and contract. Is there some way a more reasonable package can be worked out, or is this company just looking to gouge people?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

You can likely thank the ILECs for a large part of the price as they no longer have to share their lines.

Although - if you can't be served by by your ILEC - there is little chance you can be served by Covad as the CLEC uses the ILEC hardware to provide DSL.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

said by CylonRed:

Although - if you can't be served by by your ILEC - there is little chance you can be served by Covad as the CLEC uses the ILEC hardware to provide DSL.
Not true at all

Covad owns their own Equipment (DSLAM's), and only uses the ILEC's copper.

There are a ton of area's where the ILEC does not do xDSL, but CLEC's, including Covad, does.

to the OP. It sounds like you have been quoted a Dedicated ADSL solution. although the ILEC doesn't offer service at this location, it probably isn't far to try and compare the 2.

If you want, feel free to PM me, and I can see what we can do.
--
Lightning Bolt Technologies

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Ok - yes - Covad does have one piece of equipment in the CO - the rest is ILEC. I am willing to bet the ILEC doe snot service the area because of distance - Covad will not be able to get around this as they use the same wire from the CO to the NID. Hence the 'little chance' in the post.

It may be doable if the reason is not distance but I fail to see how Covad can shorten the distance when it does not own the wire.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

Auburn Hills, MI

I know you know a lot about Covad, and I'm not trying to argue, but other then the last mile copper loop, nothing is the ILEC's when talking about a Covad circuit, just an FYI.

Distance could be an issue, but I have come across many people who state the ILEC can not provide them service, but we can, via Covad circuits. and I'm not talking about a pre-qual, I'm talking full install.

in many cases the line share distance is to far, but a new dedicated loop is much shorter. and since the ILEC pushes line share service, and not really the dedicated products which they really just went back to, not too long ago, this is one reason Covad can provide something, and the ILEC can't/won't
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

I never knew that a dedicated loop could be shorter - I always thought\heard that the length would be the same since they would just use a spare pair from the run as the phone line as they did with my install. I guess that would depend on how many lines the residence has I suppose.

I like the clarification - you are in a better position than me to know how viable it might be...
--
Brian

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

Auburn Hills, MI

1 recommendation

since the loop is built (put together via multiple trucks, and splice points) when a dedicated loop is installed, and the line share loop (dial tone) was built when ever it was installed, you could be talking a difference of years, or decades, so it is possible the 2 loops take different routes/trucks to get from the CO to the NID.

As an example, at my house, our line share real world distance is around 14,000 feet, where as my dedicated loop real world distance is 11,000 feet. I have seen some where there is up to a 8-9,000 feet difference, and others then are within a few feet of each other, so every location is different.

Then in other cases you run into issues of the dial-tone being feed by partial fiber (A Remote Terminal, is a good example), so only a dedicated loop service would be possible, since ADSL, needs 100% copper. And some RT's are only for voice, not for voice and DSL, and then you have to factor in Covad only has access to some ILEC RT's. But now were are getting off topic, lol as there are many factors involved in who can/can not do what where.
--

phrider

join:1999-12-17
Pasadena, CA
reply to emak

You might want to try one of the Covad resellers, like Cyberonic. They sometimes resell Covad cheaper than Covad does directly.

Cyberonic offers several types of services -- you'll want to be clear with them that you want one of the Covad services.