spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TazExprez

join:2002-04-27
Yonkers, NY

How long can you keep your OOL email after cancellation?

I cancelled my OOL service either last Wednesday or Thursday. I noticed that I can still access my email account today. I cannot access the account management site, though. How long does OOL let you keep your email address after canceling an account? Thanks for any help.

sharksfan3
Premium
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA
In my experience? a couple of years.

chunk73
Premium
join:2002-02-22
Fairfield, CT
reply to TazExprez
going on 3 years for me since i cancelled.

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY
Last week I rushed to change many of my email addresses and canceled all, but one, of the OOL ones. I only left the main email and the account management user ID. I went through thousands of emails to see what website accounts I had so that I could update email addresses. I could have taken my time doing this, since CV takes so long to cancel email addresses.

exooluser

@verizon.net
reply to TazExprez
My email account(s) stayed active for about 3 months after I cancelled. It seems there is no standard and YRMV.

lew_b
Premium
join:2003-05-11
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to TazExprez
2-3 years here ...

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
reply to TazExprez
It's been discussed before, and from those responses it seems to vary between just less than a year up to a few years.

For me personally, when I cancelled in 2005 it took about 18 months for my email address to be gone.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium
join:2005-12-17
Oceanside, NY
reply to TazExprez
Over one year for me

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to TazExprez
Between a few days and indefinitely.

How does that quote go - live like it will end tomorrow, plan like it will last forever?
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
If you cancel your account now, you will have 135 days before your email cancels. This was not the case for old accounts deleted over about a year ago, so that's why many people will say "forever".

exooluser

@verizon.net
said by frdrizzt:

If you cancel your account now, you will have 135 days before your email cancels. This was not the case for old accounts deleted over about a year ago, so that's why many people will say "forever".
That's jives with my experience that I posted earlier.

trust_me

@optonline.net
reply to TazExprez
135 days after you cancel your account.

ionizer

join:2001-06-21
South Amboy, NJ
reply to TazExprez
does anyone know if they've managed a way to transfer an email account from one to another?

ie: I lived with my parents, had my email associated to their account

I then moved and got my own account, but my parents still had their account. We didn't do a transfer, so I had a new account.

Now I want to associate the email from my parents to my account.

I asked about this 4 yrs ago and they had no way to do it...wondering if there is anyway now.

HowdyDoody

@optonline.net
said by ionizer:

does anyone know if they've managed a way to transfer an email account from one to another?

I asked about this 4 yrs ago and they had no way to do it...wondering if there is anyway now.
They can do it and always have had the ability to do so. It requires some extra effort on their part so they choose not to do it.

Millwood
Premium
Millwood, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to TazExprez

GMAIL is your friend

IMHO, it makes no sense to use your (current) ISP as your email provider. You will surely eventually have the problem being discussed above.

GMAIL (or if you prefer, hotmail or yahoo) are alternatives that will give you persistent web access and storage. Conversion is easiest when you are still using your current ISP account. Set it up to forward all mail to your permanent email address, and start asking people to send email directly to your permanent account.

TazExprez

Yonkers, NY

1 edit
said by Millwood:

IMHO, it makes no sense to use your (current) ISP as your email provider. You will surely eventually have the problem being discussed above.

GMAIL (or if you prefer, hotmail or yahoo) are alternatives that will give you persistent web access and storage. Conversion is easiest when you are still using your current ISP account. Set it up to forward all mail to your permanent email address, and start asking people to send email directly to your permanent account.
I switched my accounts to GMAIL and I have a Hotmail account and a Yahoo account.

I have a Hotmail account so that I could forward my GMAIL emails to it and get push email on my HTC Touch Pro.