spc
Search similar:

uniqs

GlazedHam
join:2004-04-28
Orange, CT

GlazedHam

Windows 7 - Group Policy under a Server 2003

I currently have a new Windows 7 computer that I am going to deploy out to an end user but wanted to know if there was a way to manage group policy on the Windows 7 computer from the Windows 2003 Server that I already use for editing group policies.

Can you add the Windows 7 objects to a server 2003?
Neo62381
join:2003-04-18
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

You can manage policy from Server 2003, however, you will not be able to see any of the "newer" policies for Vista/W7.

You best bet is to have a W7 workstation with the Group Policy Management Console installed. This will allow you to connect to the domain controller but still have the settings needed for the newer operting systems.

GlazedHam
Orange, CT

GlazedHam

Hmm, sounds like a good backup idea for me.

If I setup a workstation running Windows 7, how would i connect it to the domain controller so that I can edit the policy for the Window 7 machines?

Thanks
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

psx_defector

»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· ylang=en

GlazedHam
Orange, CT

GlazedHam

I like to lock down in the Window 7 the User Account Control so that end users do not turn it off. Does anyone know what the path is to do this?
Neo62381
join:2003-04-18
Lenoir, NC

Neo62381

Set up all your users with a limited user account (as one should in an enterprise environment) and they will not be able to change UAC settings to begin with. Also less policy settings for you to have to impliment, remember, and back up.
psx_defector
join:2001-06-09
Allen, TX

psx_defector

Agreed. There is no reason why they should be messing with UAC. Revoke admin rights and the problem is solved, along with a thousand other pluses.

If you MUST disable via policy:

»blogs.technet.com/asiasu ··· icy.aspx

I believe that UAC on Win7 is covered by this as well. Remember, there are new configurations for UAC 7 versus Vista.

GlazedHam
Orange, CT

GlazedHam

Click for full size
Where is this setting in group policies so that I can set it to stay at the default?

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

in the start menu search bar type gpedit