share rss forum feed

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Still trying to get answers to these questions

This post below got ignored the last time I asked it (few days ago in the last Comcast meter news post):

Comcast is going to launch an online backup filespace...now let's say I use said backup filespace on a nightly basis. Here's the scorecard:

1. I use the backup service and it counts against my cap.
2. The service I am either a) getting as part of the package or b) actually paying for.

Why do you guys roll out a service yet if we actually use it it counts against our cap. That makes no sense.

What if some asshat from another network decides to continuously ping my router with 1K byte packets, will that count against my cap?

Now let's look at the Comcast website, what can I do with my connection:

* Watch streaming HD movies online.
* Dominate games with less lag.
* Download music and upload photos in the blink of an eye with PowerBoost.
* Get blazing fast connections—even with the whole family online at the same time.

Let's see, streaming HD movies... that's a lot of data. Downloading music, that could be another busy one. So here you are telling me to use it... but if I actually use it like I could I'm a bad guy.

Now let's look at the SmartZone Communications Center:

Welcome to an amazing fusion of e-mail, Comcast Digital Voice® messages, and your Universal Address Book in one convenient place—with access from any Internet connection.

* Listen to your voice mail from your PC and in any order. Even forward messages to others by e-mail.

Here is another service being touted... that goes against my cap. Why? Again, if you don't want folks to use it don't offer the service.

But wait.... there's more!

Comcast.net: your gateway to a world of online entertainment

* Enjoy full access to Comcast.net, where you can share photos, listen to your favorite music, shop, and play games.
* Check TV listings and access over 130,000 news and entertainment videos from Fox Sports, E!, and more.

So again, I use something Comcast is touting and providing.. I'm the bad guy.

Expand your moderator at work

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to NOCTech75

Re: Still trying to get answers to these questions

See, clearly you don't get it.

The only true measure of how much bandwidth you have is measured in emails. So, therefore, you have the capability to send 25 gazillion emails. There, that's all the info you really need.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA

Oh well, now that you mention I can send 25 gazillion emails that's just fine!

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

Well, you have to love how ISPs use that as their defacto way of measuring how generous their caps are. Bunch of D-bags.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to NOCTech75

Re; "Why do you guys roll out a service yet if we actually use it it counts against our cap."

I could see Comcast's logic on that one. If their services would not count against the cap, then they would be accused of favoring their own services against competing ones provided by third parties. In this case, they are in a tough spot, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by WernerSchutz:

Re; "Why do you guys roll out a service yet if we actually use it it counts against our cap."

I could see Comcast's logic on that one. If their services would not count against the cap, then they would be accused of favoring their own services against competing ones provided by third parties. In this case, they are in a tough spot, damned if they do, damned if they don't.
It's double dipping... they make money on the service and then when it sends you over the cap they ding for that too. If they can't roll it out without counting against the cap then don't roll it out at all.