how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rossies

join:2007-08-06
Tarpon Springs, FL

At my curb but not my house

I hope this completion of the deployment includes getting from the curb of my property to my house. They buried fiber in my front yard in the Tampa market in October of 2008 and have yet to offer Fios to me or my neighbors. Seems like a waste of money.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by rossies:

I hope this completion of the deployment includes getting from the curb of my property to my house. They buried fiber in my front yard in the Tampa market in October of 2008 and have yet to offer Fios to me or my neighbors. Seems like a waste of money.
Yeah, FIOS is in my city down the street but not mine!!

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26
reply to rossies

At least FIOS is near for you. They haven't even announced interest in deploying FIOS to the midwest even though we've had Verizon as a DSL carrier out here for 10+ years.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL

1 edit

Aciddrink(don't know where you live from your profile),
Verizon is in midst of selling out all their Midwest(Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin) landlines/wirelines to Frontier, so no Verizon FiOS for us.

Even the only Midwest Verizon FiOS in Ft. Wayne, Indiana area will transfer over to Frontier.

Karl (of dslreports.com) has many stories on this website, for your review.
Here's an original announcement in May 2009 from Wall St Journal.
»online.wsj.com/article/SB1242213···777.html

My suspicion is that Verizon believes that economy will not improve for a few years. So, they would rather invest $ in current markets, than spend $ on big capex in brand new markets. I believe that VZ's waiting on the economy, and hoping that technological advances/Moore's Law will allow them to build out newer markets at a lower cost in future.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

Thank you for the information. I am in central Illinois.

I do remember hearing about a possible Verizon buyout a couple years ago, but I was unaware anything has actually been set in motion. Truly sad for the future development of broadband in the mid-west.