Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Z80A

Re: If they want to ramp up the uptake...

said by Z80A:

And so long as they raise prices like cable, they will have difficultly competing with cable.

Price is king. Speed isn't.

IOW, if they expect to see an uptake with their endless price increases...they're in for a long wait.
Do you really see any people here canceling FiOS and going back to cable because they raise the prices? Didn't think so.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
said by fifty nine:

said by Z80A:

And so long as they raise prices like cable, they will have difficultly competing with cable.

IOW, if they expect to see an uptake with their endless price increases...they're in for a long wait.
Do you really see any people here canceling FiOS and going back to cable because they raise the prices? Didn't think so.
I see more and more people talking about such a move. Much more than in the past. If it continues, I wouldn't be shocked if more left for cheaper cable.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Bill Neilson:

I see more and more people talking about such a move. Much more than in the past. If it continues, I wouldn't be shocked if more left for cheaper cable.
Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I see actual cancellation. The FiOS fanboys here aren't going to cancel and go back to Comcast and Time Warner.

Besides they have that nasty ETF to deal with. They aint goin' nowhere.

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
said by fifty nine:

said by Bill Neilson:

Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when I see actual cancellation. The FiOS fanboys here aren't going to cancel and go back to Comcast and Time Warner.

Besides they have that nasty ETF to deal with. They aint goin' nowhere.
Maybe they are lying but I doubt it. If the prices keep increasing and others stay the same, money will talk in the end....as it usually does.

In the last 3-5 months, I have seen more people discussing why they didn't choose FiOS or why they left FiOS and it always came down to price.

Before then, I really hadn't heard a SIGNIFICANT amount of posters ever talk about that. Significant mind you, of course we have always heard a few bitch about price.

Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO
reply to fifty nine
Bear in mind too that very few people out there fall into the "fanboy" category. There are plenty of people here who will spend what it takes to get the best experience they can. But they're a minority. The majority are far more sensitive to price.
--
"Religion allows people who would otherwise be arguing about whether the Death Star could beat a Borg Cube to have a place of respect within society."

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
said by Corydon:

Bear in mind too that very few people out there fall into the "fanboy" category. There are plenty of people here who will spend what it takes to get the best experience they can. But they're a minority. The majority are far more sensitive to price.
Agreed but two things make people switch to Verizon.

1. The prices

2. The perception (right or wrong) that FiOS provides an overall better experience.

#1 is a straight numbers game. However, Verizon is offering a lot of deals to sweeten the pot - free this, free that, gift cards etc.

#2 is subjective, especially with Cablevision markets and people who want to keep their analog service. Cablevision in particular has been putting up a damn good fight against FiOS and is even winning in some cases. But things like "more HD channels" and "nerve shattering internet" will drive a lot of people to FiOS.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
said by fifty nine:

said by Corydon:

Agreed but two things make people switch to Verizon.

1. The prices

2. The perception (right or wrong) that FiOS provides an overall better experience.

#1 is a straight numbers game. However, Verizon is offering a lot of deals to sweeten the pot - free this, free that, gift cards etc.

#2 is subjective, especially with Cablevision markets and people who want to keep their analog service. Cablevision in particular has been putting up a damn good fight against FiOS and is even winning in some cases. But things like "more HD channels" and "nerve shattering internet" will drive a lot of people to FiOS.
Apparently Verizon is having trouble with uptake. They`re obviously going to have the sweeten the pot even more. Raising prices is not going to make it easier for them.

Rob23

@windstream.net
IF you read page 6 of the transcript you get a different view of the take rate. He also said fios " Turned EBITDA positive in 2008 Operating income positive in 2009 which we are close to but not quite there and net income positive "?" the year after that......."

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to sonicmerlin
said by sonicmerlin:

Apparently Verizon is having trouble with uptake. They`re obviously going to have the sweeten the pot even more. Raising prices is not going to make it easier for them.
Then it sure seems like they're going in the wrong direction, if this previous news story »Verizon's FiOS ETF: $360 Starting January 17 is accurate. I can't speak for others, but the proposed new rate structure and doubled ETF is making me reconsider the jump to FiOS, even with all the issues I've had with Comcast over the years.
--
Sarcasm is the Body's Natural Defense Against Stupidity

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by hambone42:

said by sonicmerlin:

Then it sure seems like they're going in the wrong direction, if this previous news story »Verizon's FiOS ETF: $360 Starting January 17 is accurate. I can't speak for others, but the proposed new rate structure and doubled ETF is making me reconsider the jump to FiOS, even with all the issues I've had with Comcast over the years.
the 17th can't get here soon enough. I want to change my bundle so I can get the 35/35 tier. And if for some unforseen reason I have to move.. oh well..I signed the agreement so I have to pay the ETF. that's life. It certainly won't stop me from getting a new bundle. ETFs have never stopped me before with DirecTV and Comcast. So why would it make any difference with FIOS?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Z80A:

the only downside to fios: AVAILABILITY.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

Bill Neilson
Premium
Arlington, VA
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by hambone42:

said by sonicmerlin:

the 17th can't get here soon enough. I want to change my bundle so I can get the 35/35 tier. And if for some unforseen reason I have to move.. oh well..I signed the agreement so I have to pay the ETF. that's life. It certainly won't stop me from getting a new bundle. ETFs have never stopped me before with DirecTV and Comcast. So why would it make any difference with FIOS?
Not everyone has an extra few hundred to cancel a service

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by Bill Neilson:

Not everyone has an extra few hundred to cancel a service
I don't either but I understand that if I sign the contract that I am legally liable for it. And I have no intention of trying to get out of obligations that I approved when I signed up.

Z80A
Premium
join:2009-11-23
reply to dvd536
And the worst billing on the planet.

hambone42
Peace, through superior firepower
Premium
join:2002-02-02
Manassas, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I don't either but I understand that if I sign the contract that I am legally liable for it. And I have no intention of trying to get out of obligations that I approved when I signed up.
Exactly my thoughts on the subject.

I just started the second year of a two-year contract for my VZW cellphone. The difference between that situation and FiOS is that if I move from this area, I can take the phone with me and still be reasonably certain I'll be able to use the service. There's no guarantee that I would be able to do the same with FiOS, since I can't predict today when, where, or if I might move within the next two years. I'm not interested in signing a contract with Comcast for a bundle, for the same reasons.

Verizon, Comcast, and the rest are obviously free to establish whatever contractual restrictions they think are smart and/or profitable. I am equally free to decline their terms; I am a little curious, about how they measure or estimate lost sales due to these contract terms.
--
Sarcasm is the Body's Natural Defense Against Stupidity

Truth b Told

@cox.net
Few things...

$360 ETF is prorated $15/mo

If you move and you are not moving to a FiOS area - NO ETF

Cellphones have ETF
Cable Bundles have ETF

fanfare

@ptd.net
reply to sonicmerlin
They are having trouble with "uptake" as you say mainly because of landlords of large apartment complexes (as Ivan eluded to). You are crazy if you think anyone ... and I mean anyone, would switch back to cable once they tried FiOS. It would be like switching back to Broadcast TV after you had cable installed; the progression is exactly the same. Cable TV was first invented here in my area. People said the same thing (what? "PAY" for television? ... television is free!... nobody will ever take cable over EM broadcast!) Guess what? TV broadcast over EM wave is shutting down everywhere... it was a done deal from the moment the first tv was connected to a wire.