All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ImSeeker
join:2007-07-27
Leawood, KS

ImSeeker

Keeping my legacy phone number (on the cheap)...

I have an old land line phone number currently with Net2Phone.

I'm ready to move almost exclusively to two cell phones, but this number is on all my business cards and so on.

I just want to keep it - so porting is the primary criteria.

I am willing to only have inbound calls; I'm willing to have it forwarded to one cell phone (though still using my in home phones would be nice).

What's the cheapest way to go?

Here's info from another thread, but the sites do not make it totally clear:
--------------------------------
Keep your phone number!

Actually works on what you had before, but with limited minutes.

Vitelity
»vitelity.com/index.php?p ··· tailserv
almost impossible to figure out how much it really costs.
I THINK mine would be $1.49/month + 1.2cents per minute with an initial $35 fee to transfer.

Voipo
»www.voipo.com/local-voip ··· er.shtml
$100/year, no setup fee?

Forwarded to another number (like your cell phone).

Voipo
$36/year, no setup fee?

OneSuite
»onesuite.com/products_Br ··· Main.asp
$2.95/month (can you forward your number?), uses a softphone?

Callcentric
»www.callcentric.com

Forwarded to multiple numbers? That would be really cool - can we combine with Google voice or something?

--------------

I may have some of the above wrong - there's a lot of info to try to digest.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

As is common here, you say "porting is the primary criteria" but you also want the "cheapest".

Not a good way to pick girlfriends or Voip.
ImSeeker
Leawood, KS

ImSeeker

Sorry if I fell into a common trap.

Porting simply means I want to keep the phone number I have had for ten years. I'm willing to pay a one time fee if needed, but I see some free alternatives. Don't know if they are good.

Cheap simply means I don't really plan to use this phone number anymore except to receive calls (either to my home phones or forwarded to a cell phone). I don't think paying $20 per month is worth it for a legacy number, but I just can't have it saying "this number is no longer in service".

Does that help clarify what I am asking?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Yes.

Likewise, my point is this: If the number is important to you, it can be worth a few bucks to port it.

Some folks will port for free. VOIPo for example, and they are fine. However, their predominant model is annual contract. (I don't know if they port numbers into their special $ 3 a month program but I am sure someone will tell us. If so, that's a good deal).

------------------------------------------

Now, if you don't want an annual contract setup, you could port for free to OneSuite, or you could port for $ 25 to CallCentric. IMHO it is very worthwhile to splurge for the $ 25 and go with CallCentric.

Over on the TeleBlend forum you can read about some folks who have been without incoming service for MONTHS.
»No Teleblend Inbound since mid-October

So just be careful where you insert your number.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to ImSeeker

MVM

to ImSeeker
If you forward VOIPo to a cell phone, $36/yr and free porting
You will be charged if over 300 minutes a month.

I see you know that. (I use their Residential.)
I feel, its a very trustworthy option to keep a number safe.
ImSeeker
Leawood, KS

1 edit

ImSeeker

There are also things like

»www.parkmyphone.com

»www.numbergarage.com

But they seem like expensive alternatives directed at people who don't understand the possibilities.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD

Premium Member

How about porting the PSTN to one of your cell phones ... unless your married to both cell phone numbers.
ImSeeker
Leawood, KS

ImSeeker

Interesting thought. I didn't know you could do that (move a land line number to a cell number).

We're not "tied" to the cell numbers, but they're posted on our business cards, too...
ImSeeker

ImSeeker to PX Eliezer704

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

Yes.
(I don't know if they port numbers into their special $ 3 a month program but I am sure someone will tell us. If so, that's a good deal).
You appear correct...

It doesn't look like voipo allows you to transfer your old number into the forwarding option. (36/year)

the residential option (100/year), yes.

RockyBB
Premium Member
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by ImSeeker:

It doesn't look like voipo allows you to transfer your old number into the forwarding option. (36/year)
that is incorrect. you can port in to VOIPo forwarded local number service -- there is no port in fee. then choose your payment option, either pay monthly @ $5 or pre-paid annually @ $36. pricing includes 300 minutes of call time per month, overage is at 2.5 cents/minute. I'm a customer of exactly that service and have done exactly what you are proposing.
bbtech6650
Premium Member
join:2004-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

bbtech6650 to N9MD

Premium Member

to N9MD
said by N9MD:

How about porting the PSTN to one of your cell phones ... unless your married to both cell phone numbers.
If you're married to the numbers, just dump the one with the prenup...
ImSeeker
Leawood, KS

1 edit

ImSeeker to RockyBB

to RockyBB
quote:
that is incorrect. you can port in to VOIPo forwarded local number service -- there is no port in fee. then choose your payment option, either pay monthly @ $5 or pre-paid annually @ $36. pricing includes 300 minutes of call time per month, overage is at 2.5 cents/minute. I'm a customer of exactly that service and have done exactly what you are proposing.
I went through the sign up process and transferring a phone number was not an option - can you tell me how to do it?

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by ImSeeker:

I went through the sign up process and transferring a phone number was not an option - can you tell me how to do it?
»Re: Park and forward cheap ?
DocSavage4
join:2009-12-20
Pasadena, CA

1 edit

DocSavage4 to ImSeeker

to ImSeeker
One alternative is to port it to a cell service called PagePlusCellular.com. The cheapest way to do this is to buy a cheap Verizon prepaid at Walmart or Target. DO NOT activate with Verizon, but instead activate through the PagePlusCellular.com website for almost free. You can then institute forwarding to any number, but that will cost 10cents a minute. There are no monthly fees, so you can keep the service for a total of about $2.50 a month (you have to renew $10 every 4 months), with minutes rolling over.

This service uses the verizon network, so it works very well.

»www.pagepluscellular.com ··· ate.aspx
Free porting with $5 credit

Good luck!

KB24
@..nehome-server.info

KB24 to ImSeeker

Anon

to ImSeeker
said by ImSeeker:

OneSuite
»onesuite.com/products_Br ··· Main.asp
$2.95/month (can you forward your number?), uses a softphone?
Yes Onesuite offers free porting and service can be use in Softphones and ATA's even free pbx.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

3 edits

N9MD to ImSeeker

Premium Member

to ImSeeker
said by ImSeeker:

Interesting thought. I didn't know you could do that (move a land line number to a cell number).

We're not "tied" to the cell numbers, but they're posted on our business cards, too...
First, porting from PSTN to Cellular is probably the easiest of all ports. I've ported three numbers ... one PSTN (Verizon), one VoIP (AxVoice), and one sort of VoIP (PrivatePhone - incoming to voice mail only, now out of business) ... to three different ATT Mobile (CellularOne) cell phone accounts ... each port completing within 24 hours ... requiring no paper work on my part ... I just called the ATT Mobile porting department number 888-898-7685 and gave my info to the delightful and knowledgeable CSRs ... voila, I now have three cell phones, two of which carry xxx-xxx-x000 (triple zero) DIDs.

If you have a Family Plan (or whatever the various cellular providers call their multiple DID accounts), it costs about $10 (plus fees & taxes) per month to add a third line to your cellular account.

I'm not trying to push you away from VoIP ... I'm just offering an alternative.

I also have two CallCentric PAYG Florida DID accounts, one of which is forwarded to my New Jersey cell phone and the other to my wife's cell phone. This allows friends and family in Florida (where we have a second home) to reach our NJ cell phones (no matter where in the world we are) by dialing the 561 (Florida) area code numbers.

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by N9MD:

I've ported three numbers ... to three different ATT Mobile (CellularOne) cell phone accounts
is AT&T Mobility supporting multiple phone numbers per device, or did you have to abandon the original cell number on each phone?

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

said by RockyBB:

said by N9MD:

I've ported three numbers ... to three different ATT Mobile (CellularOne) cell phone accounts
is AT&T Mobility supporting multiple phone numbers per device, or did you have to abandon the original cell number on each phone?
He specifically wrote "to three different ATT Mobile (CellularOne) cell phone accounts."

Also, I don't believe AT&T or any major (or even minor) cellular carrier supports multiple DID's per device.

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB

Premium Member

said by josephf:

I don't believe AT&T or any major (or even minor) cellular carrier supports multiple DID's per device.
If one has to abandon an in-use cell number to accommodate a port-in of a different number, that makes the cellular option not so attractive....

burgerwars
join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

burgerwars to ImSeeker

to ImSeeker
Then there's my favorite: Port to T-Mobile prepaid. After you've added a total of $100 to the account you become a Gold Rewards Customer. At that point, just doing one $10 refill a year (equals 83 cents a month), extends your minutes for another year.
dcm
join:2008-09-12
Pennsylvania

dcm

said by burgerwars:

Then there's my favorite: Port to T-Mobile prepaid. After you've added a total of $100 to the account you become a Gold Rewards Customer. At that point, just doing one $10 refill a year (equals 83 cents a month), extends your minutes for another year.
Just as an FYI to the OP ... T-Mobile prepaid does not support call forwarding.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD to josephf

Premium Member

to josephf
said by josephf:

said by RockyBB:

said by N9MD:

He specifically wrote "to three different ATT Mobile (CellularOne) cell phone accounts."

Also, I don't believe AT&T or any major (or even minor) cellular carrier supports multiple DID's per device.
RockyBB and josephf ...

I did abandon my existing cell numbers on all three individual mobile accounts when I ported the new numbers to each phone.

However,from past experience, I have owned cell phones from CellularOne/Cingular/ATT/SBC that did allow for two separate DIDs on one SIM card on a single phone ... but I was required to have two separate accounts for the phone, even though it was only one phone. The two DIDs did not function concurrently ... so if I was registered to my NJ account cellular number, I could not receive calls on my FL number on the device. I had to physically set the number I wanted to use. I'm not sure if that exists nowadays because I no longer use that type of setup.

Note: I'm in Boca Raton till the middle of next week ... and arrived just in time late last night. The freezing South Florida temperatures warmed up to 72 degrees today. Fore!
N9MD

N9MD to RockyBB

Premium Member

to RockyBB
said by RockyBB:

said by josephf:

I don't believe AT&T or any major (or even minor) cellular carrier supports multiple DID's per device.
If one has to abandon an in-use cell number to accommodate a port-in of a different number, that makes the cellular option not so attractive....
Not if one gets an additional Fmily Plan cell phone for about $10 per month and ports the desired number to the new cellular phone.

RockyBB
Premium Member
Steamboat Springs, CO

RockyBB to N9MD

Premium Member

to N9MD
said by N9MD:

The freezing South Florida temperatures warmed up to 72 degrees today.
Awesome! Oranges on sale!

SJMaye
join:2005-12-11
Hendersonville, TN

SJMaye to ImSeeker

to ImSeeker
Thread is getting cold, but still of interest to me. My needs are like the OP.

From the sounds of things Voipo and OneSuite are the two best solutions to what OP asked for; LNP and call forwarding.

Can someone who has either of these services comment?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
Boca Raton, FL

N9MD

Premium Member

said by SJMaye:

Thread is getting cold, but still of interest to me. My needs are like the OP.

From the sounds of things Voipo and OneSuite are the two best solutions to what OP asked for; LNP and call forwarding.

Can someone who has either of these services comment?
Actually, your final choice will depend more on your monthly usage.

With Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) service, you will be charged a very small monthly fee along with per minute charges for both the incoming call to your VoIP number and the outgoing call forwarded to your cell phone. If you expect low usage, Voip.ms and CallCentric certainly fill the bill ... and, with CC, you may want to answer "NO" to the E911 use in the US? question).

If you use lots of incoming/outgoing monthly minutes, you would do much better with an annual provider such as VOIPo Future-Nine. There are no extra charges for call forwarding.

Practically every VoIP provider has LNP and CallForwarding in addition to a host of other features. So, again, your final selection of provider should probably depend mostly on your monthly usage.
zaldy
join:2007-12-07

zaldy

Onesuite is Pay As You Go but they don't charge for incoming calls. You will only get charge for outgoing calls.

»www.onesuite.com/product ··· Main.asp