uniqs
share rss forum feed

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to AVonGauss

Re: Here we go again about bandwidth throttling ...

said by AVonGauss:

From the vague references to the actual symptoms you have posted, it sounds more like you are trying to use a P2P program and are having trouble with the upstream which usually involves the items below:

1) Your router's NAT table is becoming overloaded.
2) Your upstream is becoming over-saturated.
3) You believe you're on 12/2, but are really still on 6/1 - see #2.

The way I see it; you can continue to think that we must be a bunch of morons that don't get it and are trying to spread evil corporate propaganda, or, if this is an actual problem that you would like solved it might be worth considering using a different approach.
You make a lot of inaccurate assumptions. The problem occurs whether using FTP or P2P, doesn't matter, anything involving a large file transfer. Problem occurs regardless of the presence of a router or not (i.e. plugging directly into the modem). Problem occurs with my own modem or a borrowed modem from the Comcast technician. Problem occurs regardless of operating system or computer (1 WinXP, 2 Win7 64-bit, 1 Macbook Pro). Comcast, via their CSRs and several onsite technicians say I have 12/2 service, are you saying they've lied to me?
--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by fuziwuzi:

You make a lot of inaccurate assumptions.
Quite possible, which is why I and others have suggested to you to start a separate thread and post the details of your configuration and the details of what you are doing when you see the problem.

said by fuziwuzi:

The problem occurs whether using FTP or P2P, doesn't matter, anything involving a large file transfer. Problem occurs regardless of the presence of a router or not (i.e. plugging directly into the modem). Problem occurs with my own modem or a borrowed modem from the Comcast technician. Problem occurs regardless of operating system or computer (1 WinXP, 2 Win7 64-bit, 1 Macbook Pro).
That's a few more details, but it would be really good to start a new thread and put all the pieces together to give a complete picture.

said by fuziwuzi:

Comcast, via their CSRs and several onsite technicians say I have 12/2 service, are you saying they've lied to me?
No, that's not what I said and I think you know that. You can however confirm easily for yourself by downloading a large file such as a Linux ISO via a browser and look at the transfer rate after it has transfered about 60MB or so. If the download rate is 1.5 MB/s that would be 12/2 or if 1 MB/s that would 6/1.