uniqs
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson

Re: If they want to ramp up the uptake...

You'd have to be blind not to see it... it's a common cry here on BBR.. people want more speed and think it should be cheaper since the technology is aged.. Search BBR, you'll find it yourself..

Second, the major cable players, at least, have been charging pretty much the SAME price for years and have increased the speeds.. they RECENTLY have started to inch up the price by a buck or two, or have increased modem rentals, which you're able to buy your own and not rent one. (that's your choice) The rate increases you are likely talking about are those of the video portion.. but interenet prices have largely stayed the same for almost a decade, for the most part.

PHONE on the other hand HAS raised their rates.. they're constantly wheeling and dealing with their prices.. they've fallen as far as $12.95 a month and fluctuate all the time.. that's the phone company and anyone that follows my posts know how I feel about the phone company and their pricing games..

So, you're saying you're not getting better service? and you're on Cox and Comcast? They've both dramatically increased their speeds... and who is to say that you need to see an ANNUAL SPEED INCREASE....? That's a desire, but it's never been implied that they do that..

Again... your interent bills have NOT gone up, with cable at least, anythign dramatic.. yet your speeds have.. from 1.5 to the average 12 meg or more is pretty substantial if you ask me.

I think you're seeing what you want to and ignoring a lot of facts... There are people here ALL THE TIME wanting more and to pay less for it..

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

2 edits

Z80A

Premium Member

Yeah, and when the telcos did drop the prices they got RECORD ADDS, flat smoking cable. They got so many new subscribers they ran out of slot capacity in a lot of central offices. »news.cnet.com/Can-DSL-ha ··· 271.html They raised their prices to cut demand. It's a very simple concept because price is king. Period. VZ isn't going to get the adds they want at the prices they're charging. Period.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by Z80A:

Yeah, and when the telcos did drop the prices they got RECORD ADDS, flat smoking cable. They got so many new subscribers they ran out of slot capacity in a lot of central offices. »news.cnet.com/Can-DSL-ha ··· 271.html They raised their prices to cut demand. It's a very simple concept because price is king. Period. VZ isn't going to get the adds they want at the prices they're charging. Period.
Ummmm. try again. In order for your statement to be factually correct IN WHOLE, cable would have had to see a dramatic drop in their subscriber rates.. and there wasn't.

What phone got were many people swapping from dial up to budget priced DSL.. yea.. they maxed out services.. big deal... however, people didn't flock from cable service to DSL in order to buy a phone line for $30 a month and $15 a month DSL so they could pay more and get less speed.

and they didn't "flat smoke cable"... please check your numbers and try again ... (there.. there's a phone reference for ya.)

Cable's overall HSI rate has rarely taken a dip.. and certainly didn't during the phone companies undercutting their prices..

The price cutting of DSL was purely a ploy started by phone prior to their advancement of video services... even ATT admiited from the mouth of the CEO himself.. and I quote loosley.. "The rock bottom prices are a good lure to get new subscribers to our HSI product now in advance of our introduction of our video services. Once we have their captive attention, it's easier to market to an exisitng customer base than driving new customers through the door"... however, what phone customers found out was that the DSL product was VERY poorly supported (any VZ customers here want to share their horror stories of the 20 hurdles you had to jump through to even get a tech visit?) Further, like I said, many of those block buster custoemr numebrs were dial up customers... and, when the prices went up after the intial offer, many customers either upgraded, dropped their landline for cell phone service, or went into one of cable's triple play offers, which were cheaper than the phone offering in the long run.

Still, your opinion isn't exactly accurate.. but I respect that it's your 'opinion'... but your facts aren't correct... well, except that yes, SOME CO's had back orders on new customers.. so even then, with maxing out the CO's cards, you can't exactly really have a slamming success with subscriber growth since they maxed out at what they could possibly sell anyway.

Z80A
Premium Member

4 edits

Z80A

Premium Member

Wrong. New adds come from many sources including dial up converts. They SMOKED cable in adds for the quarter. VZ beat Comcast in new adds quarter after quarter by over 20%. And Comcast didn't beat VZ again in quarterly adds until VZ raised the price. Price is king.

And I don't give two squirts of piss what the douche at AT&T says. All of this is simply proof of one thing.

PRICE IS KING. Always has been. Always will be. That's not opinion. That is irrefutable fact. VZ can push all the 50/20 plans they want...it won't matter for shit. Put a plan out there for $39.99 and they'll get adds. Drop their triple play to $95/mo and they'll get adds. Fix the billing? Won't matter. Raise the speeds? Won't matter.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

bla bla bla... whatever... dude, price isn't king.. maybe for you, but not for everyone.. get it? If price was in fact king, then DSL would be outselling cable in the United States.. how's that for short and simple? and last I checked, Cable was average $45 a month.. DSL is about $25..

Shall I embarass you some more?

Z80A
Premium Member

4 edits

Z80A

Premium Member

Bla blah whatever dude. Price is king and I've provided proof of that time and time again. Telcos cut the price they bested cable in adds by more than 20%. Cable puts in sub $100 triple play, then THEY get the adds. Verizon sees the writing on the wall and pushes their own triple play deal for $100. Speed has ZERO to do with this. You just ignore reality and go back to your typical Brian "BMW" Roberts talking points.

If price wasn't king you wouldn't see triple play anything. You wouldn't see intro deals. And DSL isn't $25. It's $25 +$ 10 minimum for POTS + taxes + junk fees + the opportunity cost loss of bundling with another provider and that's if you are within 18K ft of an RT.

FiOS doesn't see 100% adoption. The VAST majority of those who do get FiOS are on the bottom end tiers. Proof yet again you are wrong. Speed doesn't mean shit. Price is king in telecom.

If Verizon wants the adds, nothing will get that done other than price cuts. Period. All the Brian "BMW" Roberts talking points in the world aren't going to change that. Price is king. Speed is not.

Still don't get it? Still in denial? Go to Verizon's site. Go to Comcast's site. Go to Time Warner's site. Go to AT&T's U-Verse site. What is the big bold numbers they're putting on their front pages? What is the first numbers they throw out at you? It isn't the speed of their HSI. It's the PROMO PRICES, it's triple play prices, it's rebates they give you. Price, price, price, price, price. PRICE be king sport.

Shall I embarrass you some more? Any more talking points on your daily download from Brian "BMW" Roberts about how people want to pay more? On second thought, if I wanted to hear from Brian Roberts I'd ask him.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

You're insane... simply put.. insane..

First off, I don't need "Brian Roberts" talking points.. aparently, tho, you're powered by pringles... hmmmmm..

Anyway... you believe what you want.. go for it..

By the way,... I said "cable".. I didn't say "comcast".. I know where your mind is... seek help.. you have some sick obsession with Comcast.. that's your problem.. not mine.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

1 edit

Bill Neilson to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

You'd have to be blind not to see it... it's a common cry here on BBR.. people want more speed and think it should be cheaper since the technology is aged.. Search BBR, you'll find it yourself..
I have....I can't find one person wanting better service for LESS than what they are paying for now.

Maybe you could find me one person....since YOU said it?

BTW, Comcast/Cox were past services. I do not have either anymore. I just reviewed them and had them pegged on me. For Cox, I went 3 years without any sort of speed upgrade yet ended up paying 20% more by the time I left it. So, yes, I got the same service for more money every year.

If companies want to raise rates, fine...we all work and want a profit....but to do so yearly without any yearly upgrades is a joke and worthy of complaining

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

I want 1Gb service for $0. There. You found one.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by Z80A:

I want 1Gb service for $0. There. You found one.
Ok, two
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to Bill Neilson

Premium Member

to Bill Neilson
Like I said... I'm not going to do your homework.. you obviously don't read this site very often.. I have MUCH better things to do than play tit-for-tat with you... it's a very well known desire here on this site... It's VERY well known that a good majority of the people here EXPECT prices to go down while speeds go up.. I don't even believe, to be honest, that you looked... finding this opinion is like tripping over a startbucks in Seattle.

And, as I said about your rate increases... THE MAJORITY OF MAJOR PLAYERS HAVE NOT raised their rates on HSI over the past decade.. however, their speeds increased dramatically.. just becuase you are saying that YOUR rates did increase, oh well.. that's your personal experience.. however, the majority of people never saw rate increases.. it, too, is well known.

Comcast has been selling HSI now for $42.95 in the overwhelming majority of their markets for almost 7 years now. Time Warner has barely seen any rate increases on HSI... yet speeds increased. Still, there is nothing that said speeds have to increase everytime rates go up. rate increases are bound to happen in just about any environment as a cost of living.. it's a fact. So what.. get over it.

And, as for your rates increasing.. what increased? what did you start with, and what did you end up with? and.. was it equipment? was it the service itself? was it also partly your video services? Blanket statements, when it's very well known about HSI prices in cable have stayed basically the same, UNTIL RECENTLY as some providers have bumped their rates by about a buck, aren't going to change the over all facts.. I'm not talking about YOU specifically.. some people do see increases.. I'm talking about the industry as a whole.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

So your argument cents around how people here want MORE services for LESS than what they pay at the moment.....yet when asked where you get that....you can't show a single post of someone?

Considering you past it along as common here, I would think you would be finding many.....not just 1-2

Just stating something doesn't make it true
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

No.. i just don't play the "if you can't post it, it's not true" game... I remain on my point...

I'll let others here chime in if they want.. go through the HSI forums.. you'll find it all over the place.. same with the news archives... I have better things to do than play this game with you.

And like wise to you.. just becuase you say it's NOT so, doesn't make it so... you can be right in your mind if you want.. but I'm right in reality.

I'm done with your play ground game of "you said it, now go find it" crap..

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

go through the HSI forums.. you'll find it all over the place.. same with the news archives
If they are all over the place, find me a few.

Why do you keep avoiding this? You stated it and I am simply asking where these statements are....I am not sure what you think you are accomplishing by trying to push me to back up what YOU said.

If you just want to admit that you saw a few people state such a thing 1-2 and in order to make your point look better, you over-exaggerated...that would probably pass on better....but acting like everyone wants more speed/less prices is your opinion that you can't even back up with a single reference so far.

Again, where?

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

HERE i want a fiber connection at DSL prices