spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Shewy
@cableone.net

Shewy

Anon

Firewall issues

I am not sure if this is the right place to get an answer for my question, but here it goes... I just bought a Samsung Blue Ray disc player that is wireless ready, that means you have to spend another 80 bucks for it to be wireless enabled, but thats a story for another day. I have connected it to my home network and was all excited to sit down and watch some netflix. Unfournatly for me, I am unable to access the site, as a matter of fact I am unable to get past the firewall in the Arriss modem, for anything but firmware updates. I have contacted CableOne tech support and it was suggested that I pay a local PC tech to configure my firewall, since they are not trained to deal with that part of the firewall. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks,

Shewy

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Do you have the Arris cable modem wireless model? As far as I know the non-wireless Arris modems aren't routers at all.

meecr0b
@cableone.net

meecr0b to Shewy

Anon

to Shewy
It is possible that the bluray player uses ports that are blocked by default. You could reset your router to the factory defaults to see if this helps, BUT I would NOT suggest this unless you are capable are resecurring your network so that others cannot leech off of it. To reset your router you would press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds.

What I would suggest... If there are ports that need to be opened, open these ports in the firewall. This is an advanced configuration, and is understandable as to why Cable One may not be able to assist. I have looked and I am not able to find any information on the Samsung website as to which ports you need to have open. I would suggest that you contact Samsung 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864) and find out about these ports.

Once you have that information, you can use:

»portforward.com/english/ ··· ault.htm

as a guide to help you with opening the required ports in your router. If you are not sure how to use the above guide and/or are not able to open these ports you may want to contact a computer shop for help.

Also IMO wireless connections are very very very crappy for video streaming. I would only use this as a very last resort if it is just not possible to use a wired connection. Wireless connection will be affected by cordless phones, cb radios, wireless computers, and pretty much any electronic device near them.