Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

Ontario Vehicle Ownership Transfer

Does anyone know if a saftey is required if a vehicle is transferred from Mother to daughter

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

i think you still have to safety it (to put it on the road), but won't have to pay taxes to transfer the ownership...of course, i could be wrong.
--
Today's motto: Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to bid farewell to personal responsibility and accountability.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to BigSensFan

As I recall, Dirtyjeffer's pretty much right on.

You won't pay taxes on the transfer (between relatives) - but it will need to be registered and plated; and that means passing a safety.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to BigSensFan

I think so I tried father to son. Needed safety and a statuary declaration in front of Notary or JP.
Husband to wife won't need safety or spouse to spouse for the sexually confused.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

Does anyone know if a saftey is required if a vehicle is transferred from Mother to daughter
quote:
Certain transfers, such as between spouses do not require a Safety Standards Certificate. However, transfers between parent and child and vice versa require a Safety Standards Certificate
»www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/···ed.shtml
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by DKS:

said by BigSensFan:

quote:
Certain transfers, such as between spouses do not require a Safety Standards Certificate. However, transfers between parent and child and vice versa require a Safety Standards Certificate
»www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/···ed.shtml
Thanks DKS, DJ and peterboro1

I am picking up the vehicle from my Mother In Law tomorrow, I wont have time to do the saftey tomorrow. So I will get her to sign the appropriate papers and then do the transfer after I drive it back to Whitby (Their insurance covers it until Monday)
--

Official Ottawa Senators Message Board

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to BigSensFan

You need to get the Sellers Package. See what the wholesale price is for the car.
You might pay the tax on that if the declaration is a hassle.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

1 edit

the declaration shouldn't be too bad...my parents did it with their last car (they gave the car to my aunt, or my mother's sister).--
Today's motto: Dearly beloved, We are gathered here today to bid farewell to personal responsibility and accountability.

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL

To some people any paper work or going to swear the declaration is a hassle.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

true, or if the relatives are far apart and getting everything together is a hassle...when i bought my old beater Mustang back in the day, it's book value was $0, so i just paid the receipt tax, which was only about $70.
--

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL

First you wait in line to get the form at the DMV then the person getting the vehicle swears the declaration.
So you wait in line at the JPs with all the cops swearing an information for search warrants.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by peterboro:

First you wait in line to get the form at the DMV then the person getting the vehicle swears the declaration.
So you wait in line at the JPs with all the cops swearing an information for search warrants.
JP's don't do that in our community. You can go to any municipal office, however, and for $35 have it signed by a Commissioner of Oaths.
--

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

$35? Cripes I'm in the wrong racket (I'm also a Commissioner of Oaths at the legal clinic and the only affidavits we charge for are for OSAP @ $10 and even then the money gets transferred into the legal disbursements acct.)

NefCanuck

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by NefCanuck:

$35? Cripes I'm in the wrong racket (I'm also a Commissioner of Oaths at the legal clinic and the only affidavits we charge for are for OSAP @ $10 and even then the money gets transferred into the legal disbursements acct.)

NefCanuck
Indeed you are! Oakville charges $31.50!
--

joeblow3

join:2000-12-27
London, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Some license bureaus have a notary on staff. When my dad gave us a mini-van many years ago the Chatham office had a notary on staff and we just swore to her and it was a small charge.

If you don't get it sworn you will pay the PST on the book value.

Good Luck
Bill

Tyreman

join:2002-10-08
Canada

1 edit
reply to BigSensFan

Our relative was getting older and gave car to her daughter and this was mind you 2 years ago
you pu that forum,no tax was paid, she did say just transfer fee, but safety was required at that time.emission test was not required as done year previous.
--
Southern Ontario,Canada

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to BigSensFan

I think the paperwork also costs money, $25 or $35 dollars.

Please note though bigsens that the original seller may have to be present at the time of the transfer when you go to the DMV to make sure that its legitimate.

I did this a couple of years ago with a vehicle when my mother sold it to me. A Safety is required that I can confirm.

Also, when I go to the DMV, they do all the affadavit stuff there. I've never gone to a separate JP or anything like that, they have a bible and everything, its like 1-stop shopping.

This is in the Chamber of Commerce office that they have it so maybe they have the person on staff who does it I can't remember 100%.

Also you are only allowed 1 transfer per calendar year to avoid the PST in this manner. (HST come July 1st).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by nitzguy:

Also, when I go to the DMV, they do all the affadavit stuff there. I've never gone to a separate JP or anything like that, they have a bible and everything, its like 1-stop shopping.
Our MTO office is a private contractor and does not have a Commissioner on staff.
--

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by DKS:

said by nitzguy:

Our MTO office is a private contractor and does not have a Commissioner on staff.
One may or may not correctly assume that the Chamber of Commerce is a private contractor also . But...we are in the big nickel city...and not in Owen Sound, City population as per Census 2006 21,753 .

Oh well, either way...it gets done and I don't have to pay the $1 convenience fee .

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 edit

I picked up the vehicle.

I decided to pay for the used car package for $20 instead of doing the declaration for $25. The person at the MTO explained that because the year of the Car (1997) it was likely cheaper to do it that way.

She said If the Wholesale price is under $1000 then you just pay the taxes on receipt price, which we marked as $1 (even though it was free). (the Wholesale price was just over $900)

I have not completed the transfer yet, but have all the paperwork ready, but I have to get the safety and the emissions. Both should pass easily, the only thing that needed to be done, was replace the driver side head lamp as it was cracked.

Edit: Found a checklist for Vehicle Safety for ONtario here

»answers.google.com/answers/threa···593.html

--

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

emergency brake cable is what most people need to replace as it gets forgotten.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 edit

said by andyb:

emergency brake cable is what most people need to replace as it gets forgotten.
I checked the E-Brake. It activates and releases fine. (I put the Ebrake on a slope and put the car in neutral and no rolling, I took it off and the car rolled)

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

Both should pass easily,
Famous last words.
Let us know.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by peterboro:

said by BigSensFan:

Both should pass easily,
Famous last words.
Let us know.
My inlaws are sticklers for maintenance, so I would be surprised if it didn't pass
--

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL
reply to BigSensFan

Depends on who's doing the maintenance.
I've seen cars I would swear would pass come back with hundreds up to two thousand in suspension component work for example.
I've picked up cars with 400,000 didn't touch a thing and they flew through both.
E-test is always a crap shot.
Lets hope for the best. I see value for money in either as they are things to be addressed eventually.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to BigSensFan

out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

1 edit

said by dirtyjeffer:

out of curiosity, what kind of car is it?
1997 Pontiac Bonneville. (only has 169,000km)
I had the Drive Clean done today and it passed easily. I am going to get the safety done Monday, I replaced the front Drivers side Head lamp as it had a crack in it. I doubt anything else is wrong, but the safety will tell for sure.
--

peterboro
Premium
Ormond Beach, FL

said by BigSensFan:

I had the Drive Clean done today and it passed easily.
Bonus. Any prep or did you just go for it?

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by peterboro:

said by BigSensFan:

I had the Drive Clean done today and it passed easily.
Bonus. Any prep or did you just go for it?
Just went for it. I did the usual (drove around for awhile so it was up to temperature)

The Oil was changed about a month ago and filters were changed then too.
--

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

Safety was not as smooth. There were a couple things that needed to be done (I am doing them myself for about $200)

1. Front Brake pads and Rotors need replacing
2. Drivers side coil Spring has a crack in it, needs replacing (I am changing the whole Strut assembly)
3. License plate and marker lights need replacing
4. Small hole in Trunk over right wheel well needs patching
5. Emergency Brake pedal does not fully return
6. Stailizer bar linkage missing needs replacing

I have bought the parts for 1&2&6 and will do them Friday on my day off (Cost $185)

I repaired the hole and replaced the lights (cost about $10)

I will adjust the E-Brake on Friday as well
--