spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jmoar

join:2010-01-14

Trouble with ooma

I was refereed here from the ooma forum to ask for some additional help. Here is a brief run down if anyone has some ideas of what I can do.

Purchased ooma unit and installed it. system went comcast modem>ooma>older apple router> powermac g5.

the system appeared to work pretty well and we decided to port our number to ooma and we were going to stop our land line. Then (all of the sudden it appears) call quality fell on and off so bad that we couldn't even make a call on the line. You could hear fine, but the person at the other end (upstream side) could not make out a word.

Then I bought a new docsis 3.0 motorola modem, new apple extreme 802.11n router and upgraded my comcast service to the 16/3 speed service.

My speed at times is about 23 + for download and 3 ish for upload, but it is not consistent and keeps falling to 3-5 at times throughout the day. Upload speeds are horrible. I have tried to bypass both router and ooma and go straight from the modem to the computer via ethernet, but no difference it appears. when its bad its bad. Now my number is due to port in 9 days and i'm afraid i won't have a phone to use 50% of the time. I just don't know what to do. I was told my QAM is 16 and that it should be higher, but comcast says 16 is plenty high and that is not the problem. They suggest using their VOIP instead. Some people have suggested the comcast directly messes with the ooma signal, but i can't find any proof or accuracy to that statement.

I just don't know what to test or do. When i run the test at voip speed test, most of the time it tells me my quality of service is very poor and i'm either yellow or red in the graphic.

If anyone has some ideas on what to check or change i would love to hear it. I have had comcast check the line three times in the past two days and they say my "ping" is lightning fast back to them so it's not a comcast issue. i believe it is about 9 or 10 ms they said. I don't understand all the terminology and just want to use a voip system if i can.

Thanks for the help for sure.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
kudos:1
Go to »192.168.100.1 and post what you see pls.
--
[Insert Comcast employee disclaimer here.]

jmoar

There are several tabs on that page. here is the info from the signal page. the status page that came up first basically just showed everything "done".

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 1 2 3 4
Frequency 519000000 Hz 525000000 Hz 531000000 Hz 537000000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB 38 dB 38 dB 38 dB
Downstream Modulation QAM256 QAM256 QAM256 QAM256
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
-2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV -2 dBmV
Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 35800000 Hz
Ranging Service ID 870
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec
Power Level 45 dBmV
Upstream Modulation [3] QPSK
[3] 16QAM

Ranging Status Success

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
Your power levels look fine....can you go here and post your results?

»www.pingtest.net/
--

jmoar

sure. i have been to that site many times now in the past three days. the results for just now are great as follows. i can't figure out how to copy it so here are the numbers:
line quality A mos 4.39
ping 20ms
jitter 7ms
no packer loss

for reference i have gone to the whichvoip.com speed test many times and the number that varies badly is the quality of call. in the last five minutes it has ranged from 93% to 52%. it just jumps all over the place. last night the jitter was really high as the upload speed was down, but today it is all about bad quality back and forth.

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA

From what you posted there does not seem to be anything wrong with your Comcast connection. However, we can't see certain aspects of your signal without physically being there with a meter. Also, what you posted is just a snapshot, you could have an intermittent problem, that we aren't seeing.

Are you seeing any problems with internet or TV?
--

jmoar

Thanks. no problems what so ever with anything but the ooma system. that is it. I just don't know where to turn. things look good, but the signal is poor. i just ran the one test again and i'm back at 60% quality of service and my line is a little "crackly" if i call out. is there any sense in trying to upgrade to a higher upload speed? i'm guessing not, but i just don't know what to do. If i can't "solve" the issue i'll need to stop my number from porting and return this system pretty darn soon.
Thanks for the help for sure. i'm just lost.

darkburst

join:2002-10-27
Spokane, WA
reply to jmoar
Sounds like your Ooma unit is bad. Are they wiling to send you a new one?

The speeds you have are more than enough.

crackelyline

@comcast.net
reply to jmoar
If you have static, thats a wiring issue, or an equipment problem, not a cable issue.....

Aveamantium

join:2006-10-02
Loveland, CO
reply to jmoar
Just wanted to cross link this post... I was helping jmoar over in the Ooma forum and it appears to me that jmoar was seeing severe drops in bandwidth so I referred them here (to the experts). For additional information here is the cross link »www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5894

nerdburg
Premium
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to jmoar
Okay a few more things....

1) Comcast is not messing with Ooma.
2) Crackelyline is right, static indicates a wiring issue - do you have your phone hooked directly into the Ooma unit or are you feeding your entire house? Have you tried a different phone, preferably a wired phone?
3) No there is no point in upgrading to higher speeds, it won't help.
4) QAM16 is more than enough to support voip.
--

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2
reply to jmoar
Wait... what? Poor wiring causes static?

I always thought it was the wind and the munks & squirrls running across the fiber, or the rats when it's UG.

All jokes aside, yes 16QAM is ample for VOIP, and yes static on the line is most likely caused by a fault on the TELEPHONE line and typically nothing to do with the cable.

jmoar

Thanks again. I have "a" phone (that is hardwired) directly to the back of the ooma port. it does not go through the house as of now. That was the master plan. The noise is similar to a shorted out wire, but it is more like a completely broken signal on the receive end only.

Today at my parents (also on comcast) i ran the ping test and the which voip speed test. Their jitter is 2 and everything was lightning fast in both. It would appear that all me bad reports come from my jitter being so high in my simple thinking.

I did (last night) change the QoS on the omma setting to a higher number. It appears that it defaults to 384kbs which is relatively low for the outgoing numbers i have at times. My signal since that has been better and I have been calling about once an hour when possible. There is still some cracking at times, but never has the call been incomprehensible like they had been. However, only time will tell!

Is there a way to improve that jitter number and the overall bottom rating of "quality of service" i can try? What will happen if I now back feed my entire home next week when my number ports. does that additional strain drop quality any more?

thanks to all of you that have tried to help. i really appreciate it.