share rss forum feed

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Ohio DMV WTF? Just a heads up

If you live in Ohio and your tags are about to expire, you might want to go to the DMV to get the stickers.
We sent our paper work in on DEC 10th and we are still waiting for our stickers for the tags. So currently we have 1 vehicle we have to leave parked.
The web site says they are processing the papwork, but it has been saying that for nearly month now.
--
I want Obama money. "wheres it comming from?" I dunno, his stash. I don't care, I just want obama money. Shows the lack of education and the greed of people. Hand outs from the government comes from your pay check and wallet. Think about it.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
I would keep driving it and keep a paper trail as proof, take it to court and basically fight it. After all you have proof you paid and paid with time to spare.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
FWIW- We've renewed our registrations either by mail or online for years without a problem. As David See Profile recommended, print out the web page that says it's being processed and keep that with you in the vehicle. If you can conveniently leave the vehicle parked, do so, but I wouldn't be afraid of repercussions if you do get stopped while driving it.

Maybe a trip to a deputy registrar's office would help straighten things out.
--
Sometimes I think it's a shame... When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to Snakeoil
I renewed mine online last year while I was in California and everything worked out fine.

I think this year, I'll just get Wyoming plates since it's closer and cheaper. ($15 for a non-resident!)
--
Whats smells like blue?

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to Snakeoil
How about this, go down to the office and renew IN PERSON?

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
easy to do if you have the time to stand in line.

Premium
Here
Now you are going to spend MUCH more time.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
All the registrar's offices around here have benches for you to sit on. No lines to stand in! just take a number!!!
--
Sometimes I think it's a shame... When I get feelin' better when I'm feelin' no pain

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Snakeoil
yea but why should he be punished for re-registering your tags online. you would have thought that the state of ohio wouldn't want to "avoid the lines" and the rush and allow online registrations. It's convenient for both the state and the public.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Snakeoil
I would think it is faster not sending in the papers and renewing online. Just renewed one car online just now - see how long it takes...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to Pacrat
Our local branch has a GO Steelers banner in it. Kinda funny to see in an ohio state public office lol.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
Deputy registrars are not state public offices. They are politcal appointments/awards... franchises are a better word. Every time the governor changes, the registrars offices seem to change, too. Especially, if the political party changes. I'm not even sure that the clerks in registrars' offices are even considered state employees or civil service employees.
--

Premium
Here
reply to David
In Ohio, there should be no "rush" since technically the registration expires on your birthday NOT at the end of that month, so in theory, the flow should be the same every day of the month.
One thing Ohio has done to stop people from doing this is if your registration or DL isn't renewed within seven days of its expiration, you are "fined"(they call it a late fee) $20.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
said by 61999674:

In Ohio, there should be no "rush" since technically the registration expires on your birthday NOT at the end of that month, so in theory, the flow should be the same every day of the month.
One thing Ohio has done to stop people from doing this is if your registration or DL isn't renewed within seven days of its expiration, you are "fined"(they call it a late fee) $20.
ouch... here I think you have 30 days past the b-day. in illinois they even sent me a reminder card and told me what the last date was. Missouri you had 30 days after max.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to David
said by David:

I would keep driving it and keep a paper trail as proof, take it to court and basically fight it. After all you have proof you paid and paid with time to spare.
If they want to be jerks, they can still charge you.

said by FAQs on oplates.com :

Question:

Can I use the printable confirmation as proof of registration until I receive my registration?

Answer:

No, the confirmation page is not acceptable by law enforcement. Per Section 4503.21 of the Ohio Revise Code...“No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker issued under sections 4503.19 and 4503.191 [4503.19.1] of the Revised Code...”

I'd call and check on the missing stickers. It's possible they were delivered ot the wrong address, misplaced by USPS or stolen from your mail. If the registration status shows as complete and you haven't received the stickers in a couple of weeks, then they may be lost.

said by FAQ :

Question:

Can I find out if my transaction was successfully completed?

Answer:

Yes, you may check on the status of your transaction. You may call our toll free number and an operator can verify that the transaction was completed. The help center telephone number is 1-866-868-0006.

You may also go to Oplates.com and click on Check your Registration Status.

I guess we're lucky with our DMV office. We went there the other day to renew a D/L and there was no one ahead of us.
--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Our DMV office at any time I have been in could have 7-25 people in line. Might have gotten better with being able to renew online and by mail but the last time I had to go in... well - the usual wait is close to an hour.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
I've never had to wait for more than a couple of people... maybe 15 minutes, tops! It must be a factor of the time of day.
--

Premium
Here
Location has a lot to do with it too, some places ten people can take 15 minutes other places the same ten people can take an hour.
--

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to David
said by David:

Won't help if your car is parked somewhere and the police see it and have it towed. They can too.

TCub
Premium
join:2008-09-03
Olmsted Falls, OH
kudos:4
reply to Snakeoil
My birthday was on the 19th. I (stupidly) went to the BMV on that day a couple hours before closing time to get my $50 sticker...

I walked up to the building and almost turned around.. completely packed. I stepped in, pushed a dozen people out of my way and took a number.. Lucky #14.. they were calling numbers in the 50s...

After standing there for about 5 minutes, I realized they had a dedicated "line" for people who only required $50 stickers. No typically, a line is easily identifiable. Not so much at the Ohio BMV.. on a Tuesday.. at 5:00PM.. No this "line" zig zagged, loopty looped, and any other Dr.Suess-esque thing you could think of. I waited there for almost an hour before forking over my hard(ly) earned $50 in exchange from a sticker. A blue one. That went over a red one.

So people may ask "Why not go when they weren't so busy?" I don't know, why didn't all 200 people there do the same thing? Maybe it's because we have other things to do. Let me just not go to work or not study for school or not watch House, just so I can purchase a sticker to replace the out of style one I got from last year. Right...
--
Follow me on twitter!

Premium
Here

1 edit
You must have went to the one at Great Northern, they are the only one I know of locally that has the separate line for "renewals only", there are other locations that are MUCH faster(and have one line for everything), but since you waited until expire date you couldn't come back another day and risk a ticket, after seven days you get a $20 "late fee".
--

TCub
Premium
Olmsted Falls, OH
Yup! I shouldn't have waited until the last minute but I forgot about it and by the time remembered, I had other thingd going on.

Luckily my birthday was last Tuesday and they're open later but the "line" was still terrible..
--
Follow me on twitter!

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Snakeoil
According to the e-mail we just got from the DMV, there's a 97-day window for renewals... 90 days before and 7 days after your birthday. Not much excuse for missing that.
said by DMV e-mail :
Dear Ohio Motorist:

This is a friendly reminder about a change in Ohio driver license and vehicle registration law.

Starting Oct. 1, 2009, the BMV has been required to impose a $20.00 late fee on all late driver license and vehicle registration renewals. There is a 7 day grace period associated with the late fee.

In order to avoid a late fee, remember to complete renewals before the expiration date, either in person, by mail or on-line at »www.OPLATES.com. (Please be aware that mail and on-line registrations may take additional time). Please remember that driver licenses and vehicle registrations typically expire on the motorist’s birthday, as some mistakenly believe the end of the month.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Registration Special Plates Section, P.O. Box 16521, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6521, call 1-800-589-8247, or email us at Registrar@dps.state.oh.us.

DON’T FORGET....Take advantage of renewing on line at »www.oplates.com. Your Ohio registration may be renewed up to 90 days prior to expiration.
--

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
We tried renewing 2 weeks before it expired. We got the stickers in 6 weeks.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
We get an e-mail reminder for each registration... I renew as soon as I get that. Never had a problem. I did notice the comment in the e-mail that alludes to the fact that mail and on-line renewals take more time.
--

TCub
Premium
Olmsted Falls, OH
A few people there mentioned getting something in the mail.. I never got anything. I know it's something you do every year but I never remember since my birthday is in January.. I'm always so busy that time of year.

I wish Ohio's BMV would get it's act together and be more consistent..
--
Follow me on twitter!

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
said by TCub:

A few people there mentioned getting something in the mail.. I never got anything. I know it's something you do every year but I never remember since my birthday is in January.. I'm always so busy that time of year.

Sign up for e-mail alerts. I got an e-mail just like Pacrat See Profile did. My plates don't expire until April. Even though I won't be renewing my plates in Ohio this year, I appreciated the e-mail. I really don't think the BMV needs to get it's act together, I mean if you ever walk behind your vehicle you would see the "expires 1-10" sticker plain as day.
--
Whats smells like blue?

TCub
Premium
Olmsted Falls, OH
said by Omega:

said by TCub:

Sign up for e-mail alerts. I got an e-mail just like Pacrat See Profile did. My plates don't expire until April. Even though I won't be renewing my plates in Ohio this year, I appreciated the e-mail. I really don't think the BMV needs to get it's act together, I mean if you ever walk behind your vehicle you would see the "expires 1-10" sticker plain as day.
So the way the Ohio BMV handles itself is totally acceptable? Are you nuts? Fine, shame on me for waiting until the last minute and also shame on me for working full time, going to school, on top of spending time with friends, and enjoying my hobbies.

»www.ohio.com/news/63456177.html

Then theres that issue...

I know, it sounds like I have a huge grudge against the BMV.. only once per year. They're terribly disorganized and as Snakeoil and my Mom found out the hard way, they can't handle sending you stickers through the mail.. What a joke.
--
Follow me on twitter!

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
I think BMVs in all 50 states could use improvement, but you are blaming them for YOUR lack of responsibility.

quote:
full time, going to school, on top of spending time with friends, and enjoying my hobbies.
So? I do these things too, and yet I remember about my car registration, my bills, and other responsibilities, you know things that happen when you hit adulthood. Here's a word of warning: your drivers licence will expire when you turn 21. Sure, the expiration date is printed on the license, but that isn't your job to know basic information like that, your too busy. Don't be expecting a letter from the BMW either.

I know we live in a world where it cannot possibly be your fault, someone else dropped the ball, that's why you are the victim.

It sounds like snakeoil was the victim of a mess up. You were the victim of your own negligence.
--
Whats smells like blue?

TCub
Premium
Olmsted Falls, OH
You're a hard ass and a tool. Sorry I'd rather think about more important things than a $50 sticker.
--
Follow me on twitter!