dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
penduguy
join:2010-01-18

penduguy

can speedstream 5200 work with windows7??

I have had a speedstream 5200 working on my WindowsXP PC since a long time. I just upgraded by motherboard and processor and installed windows7. I am trying to get it to work but the driver installation halts at the end.

Is there any way Speedstream 5200 can work with windows7?
If not, does anyone know when are they releasing a windows7 driver?
This is such a popular device then why is it not receiving the latest support?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Is this an ethernet device? If so there shouldn't be any drivers for the modem needed. You need an ethernet card that is supported in Windows 7.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to penduguy

Premium Member

to penduguy
said by penduguy:

I have had a speedstream 5200 working on my WindowsXP PC since a long time. I just upgraded by motherboard and processor and installed windows7. I am trying to get it to work but the driver installation halts at the end.
Are you trying to use USB? If yes, there are no Windows 7 USB drivers for the 5200. The 5200 is discontinued and no longer supported by the Manufacturer. You would need to use the Ethernet Port which works with ALL Operating Systems from Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows NT4, all the way up to Windows Server (all versions).
penduguy
join:2010-01-18

penduguy

thanks but i got it to work over USB by trial and error. for others who are facing the same problem download drv_4.9.0.135 from this site...

1) power up the modem and connect it to the internet but dont connect the USB to your PC
2) run the EXE file and when it asks you to connect the modem, connect the USB to ur PC and installation will begin
3) installation will get stuck at the last 2 dots. cancel the installation but keep the modem connected to the PC
4) run the exe file again and installation will take 10 seconds!
5) you have speedstream 5200 working over USB on windows7!

some of the above steps may be redundant but i wanted to share exactly what i did because i really dont know what made it work! hope this helps..

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You really should use the Ethernet port instead. Ethernet is so much simpler and it is built for Networking. Do you know that the 5200 is a Full Featured Router? Now before you get bent or don't understand the question, it means that the single Ethernet Port on the 5200 is meant to be hooked up to a 10/100 Multi-Port Switch and shared with multiple PCs. All Routers started out being made this way and even very expensive Backbone Routers (think Cisco Routers) come with only one or two Ethernet Ports and are made to be connected to a Multi-Port Switch.

It was only in the recent 5 to 7 years that Routers for Home Use came with built in Ethernet Switches because the typical person new to Networking did not know to add a Switch to expand the number of Ethernet connections and ended up with two Routers. The 5200 is designed to hand out up to 253 IP Addresses on it's single LAN port. Cisco Router are designed to hand out thousands of IP Addresses on the Ethernet LAN Port.

All you need is a Switch and you can hook up more PCs than you can shake a stick at behind the 5200 and they all will have simultaneous Internet Access.

Linksys 16 Port Ethernet Switch

Cisco Backbone Router x2 with 24 Port Ethernet Switches x2

Cisco Switch with 24 Ethernet Ports