share rss forum feed

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

4 edits

Everything MLPPP

MLPPP : The primary goal is to enable users to bond multiple DSL connections using MultiLink PPP (MLPPP). MLPPP can also be established as a SingleLink (SLPPP).

Due to the strong demand for the service, here is information regarding the service.

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING, IF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ISN'T HERE OR YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST & ASK YOUR QUESTIONS

•A service charge of $4.00/mo. is applicable to use MLPPP.
•MLPPP is available with the choice of a Dynamic IP or Static IP. (No additional charge for Static IP)
•To use MLPPP on 2 lines you do need to have 2 DSL services (2 modems, 2 DSL service, etc.)

Important notes:
• Any dsl compatible modem will do, makes & model shouldn't matter. Any modem that was initially made specifically for Telus will not work. Nortel modems will not work.
• Please be aware that if your new MLPPP setup requires re-routing within your home wiring, it is your responsibilty to do the work yourself. If 2 jacks are needed for dual link you may need to do this yourself.
• If you choose Bell or a private contractor to do the internal wiring you are responsible to cover the cost of the work performed within your home. You can get a video on how to wire a telephone jack here

Here is a useful FAQ:

(1)
Q: I already have a static IP, what do I need to do?
A: All you need to do is call in and request a new MLPPP login. That's it! Your current monthly rate will not change.

(2)
Q: I don't have a Static IP, what do I need to do?
A: You must sign up for the MLPPP service for an additional MLPPP Access charge of $4.00/mo. This will provide you with your MLPPP login and service.
Alternatively, you can sign up for a Static IP (also $4/mo) which includes the MLPPP service free of charge (see above).
Having a static IP also gives you "bin files" access to Newsgroups. Check here for more details on Newsgroups.

(3)
Q: I do not want or need MLPPP, what do I need to do?
A: Absolutely nothing, your service will continue as usual at your current monthly rate.

(4)
Q: Why is TekSavvy charging for MLPPP?
A: This equipment is much more expensive and requires additional funding. Additonnaly TekSavvy will be officially supporting MLPPP.

(5)
Q: How do I use MLPPP/SLPPP?
A: The way the service functions requires a MLPPP capable router or by enabling the Windows Multi-link option. (see Q:7 for additional ways)

(6)
Q: Which MLPPP capable router should I use?
A: Several routers are capable of doing MLPPP, but the firmware/settings in the Router is really what makes MLPPP work.
You may need to get a firmware that allows you to use MLPPP. (It is important that you understand that if you are changing the firmware of your router, you are doing this at your own risk)

-----Here a a few firmwares that support MLPPP-----

Tomato/MLPPP : Note that Tomato/MLPPP & the Standard Tomato Firmware look alike but only Tomato/MLPPP will support MLPPP.
A list of routers that support Tomato/MLPPP can be found in NOTES here.
Read documentation to know how to install Tomato/MLPPP Firmware
Here is a how to video.

DD-WRT (find out if your router supports DD-WRT first)
Documentation found here.
Steps to setup MLPPP on DD-WRT found here. As a side note, it seems to only work on Single Link (could change)

(7)
Q: Are there other ways of using MLPPP then with a router?
A: Yes, several other ways, for example these.

These are considered advanced ways & will not be help by TekSavvy on how to setup.

ZeroShell/MLPPP
Linux/MLPPP, more info in guide here
Cisco routers
FreeBSD
Debian
Virtualbox (SLPPP)

(8)
Q: Can I use a Premium service & a Unlimited service for dual link?
A: We require you to have the identical service for both lines. (If you have 2 Premium services we will combine the bandwidth for a total of 400GB)

(9)
Q: How much will all of this cost me?
A: It depends on several options.

Ask these questions first.
• Do I want DSL on a Land line or a Dryloop?
• Do I want 1 line or 2 lines?
• Do I have 2 modems or will I need to buy them?

Here are possible options to pick from, keep in mind that prices will differ depending on the price of the Land line & Dryloop service.

1 Land line + DSL + MLPPP
1 Dryloop + DSL + MLPPP
1 Land line + 1 Dryloop + 2 DSL + MLPPP
2 Dryloop + 2 DSL + MLPPP

Keep in mind that MLPPP will work on a maximum of 8 DSL lines.

Land line service price checker found here
Dryloop price may depend, find out how much it would cost you here

Hope this will help answer questions people may have.

Please feel free to post comments, additionnal info, updates.

LAST EDIT TIME STAMP : 21/01/2010 17:15 EST.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit

Pretty comprehensive. Seems to answer most of the repeating questions I've seen asked by prospective clients.

Suggest you add what would be the expected speed of MLPPP/SLPPP and the fact that cap doubles for 2 lines to 400GB (if not unlimited). This is asked quite frequently and not always understood.

Another question I've seen is effectiveness against the throttle. I think you might be avoiding putting this in and I can understand the reason(s) for that. Just a suggestion.

Suggest you add that Static IP includes access to newsgroup binaries (value add)

Also suggest adding a document date at the bottom and subsequent revision dates as things may change from time to time.

Cheers
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled??

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada

1 edit
reply to TSI Martin

8 DSL lines O.o that will be super fast!

I'm sure is a big waste... some server won't be able to provide such speed anyways... But very GOOD for LAN partying!

Mersault

join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Martin

You could mention that the BSD's are perfectly acceptable solutions for MLPPP as well. Plus, then you get the joy of using pf for your firewall.

Has anyone ever managed to get pfSense working with MLPPP? That would be slick.

I understand that the site where I'd posted my MLPPP configurations previously has gone under. I will be posting them to some new web space soon.

Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON

Mersault - I'd be very interested in MLPPP on pfsense. I read the old guide but was disapointed to see the latency issues.

Would you be able to revist this now that pfsense 2.0 is beta and perhaps build it there? I know a bit about freebsd and can can definately do testing in my pfsense/dual link environment for you.

Mersault

Toronto, ON

I don't run pfSense personally. I just remember using it previously and know several people who use it presently. I figure it is the best candidate for the FreeBSD based router packages to be supported by TekSavvy.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Mersault

Hello,

If you get your site up, with configurations that can help folks out then we can add the link under Q 7.
--
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to AkFubar

said by AkFubar:

Suggest you add what would be the expected speed of MLPPP/SLPPP and the fact that cap doubles for 2 lines to 400GB (if not unlimited). This is asked quite frequently and not always understood.
Question 8 does include the 400GB total usage. As per speeds are concerned... It all depends of the profile set on lines. This is a good point of adding but not specifying what speeds you'd get as there are too many possibilities.

said by AkFubar:

Another question I've seen is effectiveness against the throttle. I think you might be avoiding putting this in and I can understand the reason(s) for that. Just a suggestion.
MLPPP didn't start as a way to not be throttled, this was a discovery made with it. The true purpose was to bond lines & as an added bonus throttling was bypassed.

said by AkFubar:

Suggest you add that Static IP includes access to newsgroup binaries (value add)

Also suggest adding a document date at the bottom and subsequent revision dates as things may change from time to time.
will do for both.
--

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Thanks for posting Martin!

alander

join:2010-01-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Hi guys. A total newb here. Thank you for all the info OP. I have couple, perhaps dumb, questions:
1. Do I need two physical phone lines for the MLPPP service to work or can two DSL services be "sent" over one line? I currently have a Teksavvy phoneline and a DSL service and am getting 3Mbps d/l (about 360Kb/s). Would I be able to sign up for the MLPPP without neccessity of any additional wiring or would a new phone line had to be pulled from the Demarc? (or do I just split one line and put each cable to a separate modem and then to a router).
2. Do the two DSL modems have to be the same model/brand or can they be different?
3. Also, since my current line has some quality issues that do not allow me to be put on a higher profile, would this affect the MLPPP as well - i.e. would I get double the current speed, or is it possible I may be put on two "lower" profiles to accommodate my line quality?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Mersault

Toronto, ON

alander,

1) You need to pairs of copper. Note that cat3 (standard phone cable) has two pairs in it, and usually only one pair is ever used. It's possible to run DSL on both pairs from the demarc, and then split out the two pair to two phone jacks at the location with the modems (I've done this myself).

2) The modems can be different. They just need to support bridged mode. I have however seen differences in modem performance. I've run MLPPP fast enough that even though the modem was just in bridged mode, the modem would lock up after a few minutes of maxing out the line. It seems that even in bridged mode MLPPP takes more resources.

3) With a standard MLPPP setup (two DSL service on two phone lines) you get double the speed of your slowest connection.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING, IF WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR ISN'T HERE OR YOU HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE POST & ASK YOUR QUESTIONS

•A service charge of $4.00/mo. is applicable to use MLPPP.
•MLPPP is available with the choice of a Dynamic IP or Static IP. (No additional charge for Static IP)
•To use MLPPP on 2 lines you do need to have 2 DSL services (2 modems, 2 DSL service, etc.)
In light of discussions in another thread, it might be prudent to add this reminder:

"Please be aware that if your new MLPPP setup requires re-routing within your home wiring, it is your responsibilty to do the work yourself (see link here?? for tips on how to do the wiring??) OR you may have Bell do the work, or hire someone to do the work on your behalf. If you choose Bell or a private contractor to do the work you are responsible to cover the cost of the work performed within your home."
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled??

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Here are a few questions I see asked a lot on here:

"Will it speed up my internet"
"Does it bypass bells throttling"

wayner92

join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

One other point to address in the FAQ could be: What DSL modems do I need for MLPPP and do I need two of the same modem if I am going dual line?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to AkFubar

done

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to evil_gusgus

has been answerd, few post before yours.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to wayner92

answered

Mersault

Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Martin

I've posted about my MLPPP in FreeBSD setup here. Please feel free to provide feedback or ask any questions you may have.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Thanks Mersault, I've now added it to the list.

yp_1

join:2009-12-31
reply to TSI Martin

You don't have to use Linux/MLPPP on some Linux distributions, do you?
I use pppd that comes with Debian and it works well.
Something tells me Ubuntu package should work too, though I did not test it.

girafe

join:2009-04-18
Montreal, QC

can you past you setting?
I use debian too, it stable but i get about 10% packet loss went there is moderate traffic on the connetion.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

please start new thread in forum & I'll refer to it from the original post.

girafe

Montreal, QC
reply to yp_1

i use the normal ppp from debian stable

girafe

Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin

Done, but what is this tread for? saw the topic and assumed that was the place for my question :P

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Yes but if it's specifically for Debian... let's just keep all of it in one place rather then mixing all vegetables in the stir-fry
--

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Martin

Anyone up for taking all this infor and turning it into a Officail FAQ?
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

rizlo100

join:2009-05-05
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Martin

Just curious if anyone would find a use for a MLPPP setup guide under FreeBSD 7.x and mpd5. I've been using it since moving to TSI but I never see anyone else us it. I'd be happy to write up walk through for fBSD 7.x/mpd5/pf if there is enough interest.

-Riz
TheInterTubes.ca

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to TSI Martin

1 ) Something to add is Mikrotik is another router capable of MLPPP, but it is certainly advanced level.

2 ) I think it would be good to delete this, as well as every other reply to the thread and just keep the main message.

Mersault

Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Martin

I'd like to see a bit of into about the MTU/MRU values that are best for the different situations (single link, two links, etc). Also I'd like to know which directions are round-robin and which directions use packet splitting.

groovejumper

join:2010-01-26
reply to rizlo100

said by rizlo100:

Just curious if anyone would find a use for a MLPPP setup guide under FreeBSD 7.x and mpd5. I've been using it since moving to TSI but I never see anyone else us it. I'd be happy to write up walk through for fBSD 7.x/mpd5/pf if there is enough interest.

-Riz
TheInterTubes.ca
Yes - I would find a use for this! I'm running Zeroshell in a Hyper-V vm right now, but while I like some aspects of it so far, I'm finding I'm limited in some areas that perhaps I wouldn't be with pf (won't know 'til I try it though). A walkthrough or guide would be a great help for me.

g.