Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlord

Re: Everything MLPPP

Click for full size
said by mlord:

The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?
Yes. The default language is German but you can still choose from English or 2 other languages.

Also, there's no way to set your vpi/vci manually in the web UI. When you run the setup wizard you get to choose "Standard", "Western" or "K-Net" for your provider. If I choose Standard or Western I get two Brdg_Internet status, reporting 1.32 and 8.35 respectively. If I choose K-Net they report 1.32 and 0.33 respectively. The latter being correct in the west, this works. I don't know what the winning combination might be in the east. Or maybe you can set vpi/vci via CLI; I haven't looked into it.
--
db

t_waly7

join:2010-08-24
QC / MTL
reply to TSI Martin
Hi guys, new member here. I searched the forums and the net for a while to try and understand how to get everything set up but I still have a few questions.

I have a single DRY line from Teksavvy with MLPPP. Service will start next week. I also got the ST516 and the WRT54G with Tomato firmware installed.

If I want to add a second modem to double my lowest speed do I need a second line (dry or wet)? Do I need to tell TSI so they can increase my bandwidth? Can I just add a second line myself and get better speeds?
If I split the wires myself, who do I get to activate the second line?

I need to know what I am supposed to do really.

TIA

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter.
The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?

spinbot

join:2010-08-22
Belleville, ON
reply to TSI Martin
I presently have the unlimited DSL Login account ( as my DSL line is covered by my employer with a different ISP ).

In order to run MLPP do I have to have my actual DSLAM orders through TSI or can I have a mixture.

I'd like to leave my main line as is ( DSLAM with another ISP, Login with TSI ) and then add an unlimited account (both DSLAM and Login) with TSI and then have MLPP. Is that possible?

I believe I have all the hardware necessary ( Two Speedtouch 516 modems and a Linksys WRT-54GS running DD-WRT ). I am able to wire a second phone jack to the DSL modem/Router area.

I would just need to get services activated with TSI and I suspect get dryloop on my second copper pair coming in.

m3gz

join:2010-08-05
reply to TSI Martin
I'm interested in MLPPP and I've found a really inexpensive ADSL modem/router by TP-link ( »cty.ca/productdetails.asp?pid=4116 ). I know I'll have to purchase another router that would support MLPPP but how would I set the TP-Link ADSL modem/router to only be a modem?

I'm under that assumption that the router that supports MLPPP would be the one that authenticates the PPPoE and not the ADSL modem/router.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
I have 3 and just ordered a bunch more. They have a reputation for dying young if not well ventilated, but mine are wall-mounted sideways in a cool basement, and shed heat very well.

Your Ubuntu server should work fine for flashing them up. These are the directions I used.

»markferry.net/Network.SpeedtouchUpgrade

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter. I haven't looked to see if there's a newer version, as I updated mine a couple months ago.

Note that the firmwares available on the linked forum don't let you set the vci directly, but if you choose "Special K" (or something like that!) as your provider it will give you the proper settings for connecting in Telus territory.
--
db

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
I do have an Ubuntu 10 box running downstairs. Mostly as a back up for files and a voice server. Would you suggest that ST516V6?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
--
db

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.
The modems I can get are definently speedtouch modems. Not sure on the model though. Is it easy to flash them with latest firmware? How much does TS charge for the WRT54G? Can't seem to find a price anywhere

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.
--
db

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to TSI Martin
What does everyone use for modems and a router? Is there a router that can be bought with mlppp/tomato already installed and ready to go? I can get 2 adsl modems for free, just waiting on hearing what modems they are. Wanted to see what everyone else is using though.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to clarknova
Indeed I misinformed you about the info for AB. I supposed unlike Bell out East Telus gives different prices to the provinces.

Thanks for catching my mistake.
--
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
reply to Guspaz
Ok, I see that table for BC, but it's different for AB, which is the table I posted.
--
db

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to clarknova
I'm seeing the information that Martin posted on teksavvy.com
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to TSI Martin
Holy crap, those took a jump. Is that effective immediately?

edit: teksavvy.com still shows the old pricing structure. What's up?

Dry Loop Information
Activation fees - $39.99
Band Price
Band A $7.04/mo
Band B $9.58/mo.
Band C $11.04/mo.
Band D $10.48/mo.
Band E $16.53/mo.
Band F $14.18/mo.
Band G $16.20/mo.
--
db

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

3 edits
reply to rustydusty
BC Dry Loop Information

* Activation Fee - $39.99
Band --- Price
Band A -$6.90/mo.
Band B -$11.39/mo.
Band C -$12.66/mo.
Band D -$11.36/mo.
Band E -$26.02/mo.
Band F -$20.88/mo.
Band G -$26.84/mo.

AB Dry Loop Information

* Activation fees - $39.99
Band --- Price
Band A -$7.04/mo
Band B -$9.58/mo.
Band C -$11.04/mo.
Band D -$10.48/mo.
Band E -$16.53/mo.
Band F -$14.18/mo.
Band G -$16.20/mo.

AB & BC Dryloop fee's are different.
I've edited this post with the proper information.

--

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to TSI Martin
Just curious as to what the dry loop fee's are in central Alberta. Looking at doing mlppp, but wanna make sure it's gonna be cheaper than what I'm paying for Shaw Warp before going ahead with it.

Rizak

join:2009-09-20
Nepean, ON
reply to TSI Martin
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
router
I have a Linksys WRT54G (v4) flashed with the newest version of Tomato/MLPPP.
I have a SpeedTouch 516 and a SpeedTouch 546.
I have 2 phone lines.

When I connect each modem individually directly to the computer and then connect via PPPoE I get a regular connection with regular (though unsatisfying) results.

When I connect everything to the router I get a sawtooth graph of connectivity. It will connect for about 30 seconds and then disconnect for the same amount of time. It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out. I've included some small helpful graphics showing the upload graphs from Vuze to illustrate.

I've reflashed the router a couple of times and reset the modems individually a number of times nearing infinity.

I'm going to try it one more time by resetting everything to factory defaults (again), reboot everything and see if I can at least get something resembling a working, stable connection.

the_sLiDe

join:2010-06-20
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin
Thanks Gabe, you learn something new every day. Works like a charm!

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

1442? Make that 1486
The Gabe has spoken. DO NOT INCUR HIS WRATH!

*hides*

Also: MLPPP is pimp. Thanks to all those who worked to make it happen, and support it.

--
www.QuickNet.ca

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium,VIP
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC
reply to the_sLiDe
1442? Make that 1486

the_sLiDe

join:2010-06-20
Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but for SLPPP to work with DD-WRT all you have to do is check the Multi-Link option in the setup menu and lower the MTU to 1442 and voila, works.

Cheers.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Paolo
Most residences will have multiple pairs to the demarc. Inside wiring typically has 2 pairs. If he wants more the 2 lines then there needs to be extra pairs installed inside. 1 Pair per modem. the "special router" can be used on any ports to plug the modems in. To use more then 2 lines, I'd suggest you uses alternative methods then a Linksys wrt54gl router (most popular way).

Regards,
Martin
--

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?
Your router has to support mlppp. If you're using Tomato on a supported router then it is configured such that you will use any one of the LAN ports as your second WAN.

If you're using Linux, FreeBSD, or some other software for your router then you will have to have a physical or virtual (vlan) interface for each WAN connection.
--
db
Expand your moderator at work

robotank

join:2008-03-02
Hamilton, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Re: Everything MLPPP

Sorry to interrupt the chain here. I just have a quick followup on my previous postings and a question I'm hoping someone from TSI can answer for me. I've been up and running on SLPPP for a few days now, and for the most part everything is working well. However, I've found that every so often (I notice it every couple of days or so) my connection goes down for a few minutes. Today I logged in to the router and noticed that my connection uptime had reset after the connection came back. Is this occasional reconnecting something that tends to happen with MLPPP/PPPoE connections, or should I be on the phone with tech support?

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to TSI Martin
ok can someone please elabourate more on the wiring, a client of mine wants his house re-wired for mlmppp, from what i gather here, its very limited info on the wiring, 2 modems, 2 demark's and one router? the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into? the LAN port? that is not right?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

robotank

Hamilton, ON
reply to robotank
TekSavvy is sending me the Thomson 516 + Linksys and allowing me to return the Thomson 585 for a refund. All's well that ends well.

robotank

Hamilton, ON
reply to clarknova
Thanks for the reply, claknova. I'm getting around the P2P throttling for now by another method. However, since I've only been using the Thomson gateway for a couple days, I'm thinking of calling TekSavvy customer service tomorrow to see if I can send it back and get a Linksys and the cheapest Thomson modem instead.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to robotank
said by robotank:

I'm on OS X Snow Leopard. I looked around, and it seems that running a VM is my only option other than buying the Linksys or another compatible router.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to get OSX to do mlppp, although perhaps not in the GUI.

One more thing to clarify: the Linksys is only a router, not a modem/router? and putting the Thomson in bridge mode means that it simply acts as a modem and passes the routing on to the other router connected to it? Thanks.
Correct.
--
db