Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tyciol

join:2007-01-29
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Re: Everything MLPPP

Question: what if we buy a 15 unlimited plan and a 15 limited (now 300 I believe) plan?

We'd get a speed of 30 by combining them with MLPPP, but how would the bandwidth limitations work?

Would it be something like, the work is split evenly between them? So once we get 600 worth of data, could we disconnect the limited one and half our speed and continue surfing without worrying about overcharges on the unlimited one?

Or would the unlimitedness of the more expensive 15 extend to the lesser?

andrej

@acanac.net
reply to TSI Martin
will mlppp work with cable internet?
also whats the max number of cable connections at one residence

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to mlord

Re: Ethernet broadcasts leaking out over DSL with MLPPP ?

Disturbingly, I starting to think that this leaking of packets is actually happening.

Related to that, I found this story about a remote ARP attack using ethernet broadcasts from the other end of a DSL connection:

»www.increa.com/computers/verizon···dex.html

So.. MLPPP with more than one line appears to be an unsafe configuration with the default setup of Tomato/MLPPP on the WRT54G router. I believe this can be fixed with a rearrangement of the vlan configuration.. might try that later on.

Cheers

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

4 edits
reply to TSI Martin
Here is a question I originally asked in a more roundabout way in a different thread:

With a two-line MLPPP setup, using a WRT54GL with Tomato/MLPPP, the second modem connects to the WRT54GL via the LAN side of the router. As such, this modem "sees" all ethernet broadcast frames from the LAN --> anything with a MAC of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF will be seen by the modem.

Q: Does the modem forward all ethernet broadcasts over the DSL connection to the RAS ?

I suppose it must, since PADI packets are sent that way, and are essential to PPPoE.

But this would also then mean that DHCP discovery, ARP, and other local LAN broadcasts would then also be travelling across the DSL connection. Which could be a rather large security hole, as well as a small amount of wasted bandwidth.

Does anyone know the answer? I would expect somebody from TSI might know.

Thanks.

Esc
Premium
join:2011-01-26
canada
reply to rtoole

Re: Everything MLPPP

Will a Linksys RV042 dual wan router work for MLPPP?

Appreciate feedback from anyone using this router. Will it function as two separate routers would for MLPPP or just SLPPP.

rtoole

join:2011-01-03
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Martin
Multilink PPP on a Cisco 2691 works well for me in Telus Land (Calgary) I've posted my config and some details here: »www.tooleweb.ca/blog/?e=7

Very happy with it. TSI, Why no official support for it out west?

gt1996

join:2010-11-25
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Martin
Hi Martin,
In your Cisco example the router has an internal ADSL WIC card. In my case I currently use a Cisco 3620 with Ethernet interfaces only and I use an external Alcatel speedtouch DSL modem in bridge mode. This config is working for me for 5 year now.
Following is the relevant working configuration :
vpdn enable
vpdn session-limit 1
!
vpdn-group 1
request-dialin
protocol pppoe

interface Ethernet0/0
description TO ADSL MODEM (BRIDGE MODE)
no ip address
half-duplex
pppoe enable
pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
no cdp enable
!
interface Ethernet0/1
description INTERNAL LAN
ip address x.y.z.t a.b.c.d
ip nat inside

interface Ethernet0/2
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface Ethernet0/3
no ip address
shutdown

interface Dialer1
ip address negotiated
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
no peer default ip address
keepalive 3
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxxx password 7 000000000

My question is what would be the template so I can use SLPPP with the same Cisco router and the same external modem (and one phone line)? I did quite a bit of research but this solution doesn't seem to be that popular. I have already the MLPPP login from teksavvy now I need to get this working.
Thanks in advance!

valunthar

join:2008-12-30
reply to TSI Martin
Single Link MLPPP now works in the PFsense 2.0 beta.

Assuming you have an interface that you're not using the steps to follow are (this is for an Alix 2D13 board, but it should be similar for other systems):

Your hardware has 3 NICs, vr0, vr1 and vr2. Let's say for example you want to connect your modem to vr0. vr1 will be your LAN. vr2 will not be plugged, but will act as the dummy link in the bundle, like this:

vr0--modem
vr1--LAN switch
vr2--unplugged

1. Go to interfaces_ppps.php and delete every entry.
2. Click the + sign to make a new entry.
3. Choose type: pppoe. Link interfaces: select vr0 and vr2 (using the ctrl key).
4. Save and go to interfaces_assign.php.
5. You need exactly 2 entries here. WAN: PPPOE0(vr0,vr2) and LAN: vr1 (00:00:00:00:00:00). Save and apply as needed.

That's it. These instructions only work if you have a physical port that's not in use. If you're using all your physical ports then you'll have to go about it a little differently with vlans. Let me know if you want instructions for that.

--------------------------------------------

However if you don't have a spare port that you can use there's always the VLAN route covered here:

If you want slmlppp and you don't have a spare physical interface, then you need to create and use a vlan interface as the dummy. The gotcha here is that a vlan interface won't show up in the interface list when you're selecting your pppoe bundle members unless you have first enabled that vlan as a static or dhcp interface.

Creating vlans in pfsense is effectively free, so just make a vlan on your WAN or some other port, so for example vr0 is your WAN, and you also create vlan 999 on vr0 and assign it as OPT2 (because vr2 is now OPT1). Enable OPT2 as a static IP address that does not fall on one of your existing subnets, and then go to ppps and make a pppoe bundle from vr0 and OPT2.

Steps were copied from Clarknova's posts on the Pfsense forum.

spinbot

join:2010-08-22
Belleville, ON
reply to smokerings
It took an evening to realize my hardware version was too new. It would be nice if DD-WRT's Multi-Link worked as it would save me $60 , however I have no option but to grab a new one to install Tomato/MLPPP ( getting a WRT54GL , making sure its one of the older firmware versions ).

smokerings

join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

2 edits
reply to spinbot
Yes, you can run MLPPP with just a single line and your line will not be throttled.

I don't think that router is able to run tomato/mlppp as it only has 2mb of flash and I believe you need at least 4mb to install that firmware.( Just ran into your post on RFD asking the same stuff while I was searching hehe )

spinbot

Belleville, ON
reply to TSI Martin
I reached the frustration point today with Bell throttling my connection of which is best 2.5Mbps.

I have a DSL circuit from my work on my phone line and a DSL Login with Teksavvy. I ordered a dryloop connection with MLPPP from Teksavvy on the second copper pair ( hopefully Bell doesn't mess this up on Friday ).

I've got 2 Speedtouch 516 Modems and a Linksys Router (WRT54GS ver7.2) running "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro"

I'm getting overwhelmed with information on the DD-WRT and haven't been able to get the simple answer to "Can this do MLPPP". If so, I know to keep digging for "How to setup MLPPP".

Does anyone know if this will work for what I need?

I did read the previous posts that suggested that its fairly easy to switch from DD-WRT to Tomato. Do I need to setup all my wireless security , port forwards, DDNS, etc again or does it know how to save that info?

Any other tips one might find helpful to me I am all ears!

Thanks everyone!

Oh .. one last question: SLPPP .... could I have I just paid an extra $4 a month and been able to get around the throttling as opposed to the extra $61.21 I have to pay now for the Naked DSL connection with MLPPP?

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

2 edits
reply to skbrewer
Just don't neglect doing an NVRAM reset (from Tomato) after switching, or before switching back to DDWRT. Dunno how important that really is, but it all works smoothly for me (WRT54GL) when I do it that way.

And if starting from scratch, with Linksys factory firmware on the router, then the initial install of Tomato is as simple as clicking the "Firmware Upgrade" link there, too.

In fact, that's probably the easiest way to install DDWRT from scratch: use Linksys Firmware Upgrade to first install Tomato, and then.. procrastinate.

Cheers

skbrewer

join:2010-09-21
Barrie, ON
reply to mlord
Ah, yeah? That's not so bad. I was thinking I'd have to do it the same way as the initial install, which, despite having done it on half a dozen routers now, is still a little harrowing when I do it the first time.

I've seen the screenshots of there being a "Multi Link" checkbox under the PPPoE settings in some versions of DD-WRT, but that checkbox isn't there in my build (listed in my previous post), which lead me to think it was in future betas only, which I can't use since they're not vintage builds.

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to skbrewer
said by skbrewer:

I can switch the router to Tomato/MLPPP, but I'd really rather not go through the trouble if I don't need to.
I have the impression that this is point-and-click in the latest DD-WRT. Anyone?

As for switching between Tomato/MLPPP and DDWRT --> this is very simple to do, in either direction on your WRT54G. Just go to the "Firmware Upgrade" link, and point it at the firmware binary. Much simpler than the initial install of DD-WRT.

Cheers

skbrewer

join:2010-09-21
Barrie, ON
reply to TSI Martin
I've signed up for Teksavvy unlimited with single line MLPPP today, and I'm psyched to be ditching Rogers. One thing I wanted to look into is having everything ready for my installation when the day comes, and I'm trying to line my router out.

After some google searches, I've read that single-link MLPPP can be enabled in DD-WRT by slipping "nomppe mp" into the MPPE Encryption setup box, which essentially sneaks it into the appropriate config file without actually enabling MPPE. Is this sufficient to enable single-link MLPPP? I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp2, build 13064M VINT std. I'm basically stuck with that build since I'm using a WRT54G v1.1, and the FAQs say the Broadcom chipset on that router requires the VINT builds.

If this isn't going to work, I can switch the router to Tomato/MLPPP, but I'd really rather not go through the trouble if I don't need to.

Also, it's funny that the majority of the searches on google referring to MLPPP and custom firmware bring you back to this forum.

Lightwave
Premium
join:2010-06-03
Tilbury, ON
reply to Lightwave
Just completed the setup...
Works great.. and not so tough to setup once you get your head around RouterOS.

4 Lines, MLPPP, 19.9mbps down, 2.3mbps up using RB750G using the newest firmware, ver5beta6. For $70 can't beat it.

Lightwave
Premium
join:2010-06-03
Tilbury, ON

1 edit
reply to TSI Martin
About ready to attempt a 4 line hookup with Mikrotik RB750g router, cabinet almost complete, since I have quite a few of them that I use for business/customer/tower deployments but having seen this thread figured I'd give one a whirl and see how it works.

Any 1st hand experience with the 750G on a 4 line mlppp with Teksavvy?

Feedback is appreciated.. otherwise have to find a different product if its not recommended or has reliability issues. All lines stats are 6m/800k clean.

THanks

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to clarknova
What he actually said, was "SRA seems to work fine in 7.4.4.7, and adds significant stability." And the jitter fixes came with 7.2 and higher firmware.

Since here in Ontario, Bell has not enabled SRA for regular DSL, I guess that wouldn't help us any, so I might try to resist temptation, and just stick with good/stable 7.4.3.2.

Thanks!

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to t_waly7
said by t_waly7:

If I want to add a second modem to double my lowest speed do I need a second line (dry or wet)?
Yes.

Do I need to tell TSI so they can increase my bandwidth?
No. Order a second line with or without phone service.

Can I just add a second line myself and get better speeds?
If I split the wires myself, who do I get to activate the second line?
Not sure what you're asking. Call TSI and ask for a second connection and arrange a modem for yourself, much as you did for the first line.
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to mlord
said by clarknova:

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter.
I should qualify that a little better. In fact, I upgraded some modems from their stock 6.x firmware to 7.4.4.7 without testing anything in between, based on some advice here:

»Re: telus contractor took my modem!

and found that my jitter practically disappeared. If Tierx knows what he is talking about, then we can draw basically 2 conclusions from his post: first, that interleaved connections will benefit from 7.2+ firmwares, and second, that 7.4.4.7 added stability, whatever that might mean.

My connections are interleaved, and yes, my jitter went down. As for stability, I have 5 modems that haven't disconnected ever, but I also have 2 that disconnect daily. I don't blame the modem for that, and I don't know how things might be different on an older firmware.
--
db

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to mlord
Click for full size
said by mlord:

The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?
Yes. The default language is German but you can still choose from English or 2 other languages.

Also, there's no way to set your vpi/vci manually in the web UI. When you run the setup wizard you get to choose "Standard", "Western" or "K-Net" for your provider. If I choose Standard or Western I get two Brdg_Internet status, reporting 1.32 and 8.35 respectively. If I choose K-Net they report 1.32 and 0.33 respectively. The latter being correct in the west, this works. I don't know what the winning combination might be in the east. Or maybe you can set vpi/vci via CLI; I haven't looked into it.
--
db

t_waly7

join:2010-08-24
QC / MTL
reply to TSI Martin
Hi guys, new member here. I searched the forums and the net for a while to try and understand how to get everything set up but I still have a few questions.

I have a single DRY line from Teksavvy with MLPPP. Service will start next week. I also got the ST516 and the WRT54G with Tomato firmware installed.

If I want to add a second modem to double my lowest speed do I need a second line (dry or wet)? Do I need to tell TSI so they can increase my bandwidth? Can I just add a second line myself and get better speeds?
If I split the wires myself, who do I get to activate the second line?

I need to know what I am supposed to do really.

TIA

mlord

Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter.
The only 7.4.4.7 version I see out there is the German version (ST5x6_GeChGen_R7447_rel.zip ). For the International series, the latest is (still) 7.4.3.2 (ST5x6_ZZQ2AA7.432.zip ), which is what I've got here.

Are you using the German one?

spinbot

Belleville, ON
reply to TSI Martin
I presently have the unlimited DSL Login account ( as my DSL line is covered by my employer with a different ISP ).

In order to run MLPP do I have to have my actual DSLAM orders through TSI or can I have a mixture.

I'd like to leave my main line as is ( DSLAM with another ISP, Login with TSI ) and then add an unlimited account (both DSLAM and Login) with TSI and then have MLPP. Is that possible?

I believe I have all the hardware necessary ( Two Speedtouch 516 modems and a Linksys WRT-54GS running DD-WRT ). I am able to wire a second phone jack to the DSL modem/Router area.

I would just need to get services activated with TSI and I suspect get dryloop on my second copper pair coming in.

m3gz

join:2010-08-05
reply to TSI Martin
I'm interested in MLPPP and I've found a really inexpensive ADSL modem/router by TP-link ( »cty.ca/productdetails.asp?pid=4116 ). I know I'll have to purchase another router that would support MLPPP but how would I set the TP-Link ADSL modem/router to only be a modem?

I'm under that assumption that the router that supports MLPPP would be the one that authenticates the PPPoE and not the ADSL modem/router.

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
I have 3 and just ordered a bunch more. They have a reputation for dying young if not well ventilated, but mine are wall-mounted sideways in a cool basement, and shed heat very well.

Your Ubuntu server should work fine for flashing them up. These are the directions I used.

»markferry.net/Network.SpeedtouchUpgrade

I'm running version 7.4.4.7. Anything older will show more jitter. I haven't looked to see if there's a newer version, as I updated mine a couple months ago.

Note that the firmwares available on the linked forum don't let you set the vci directly, but if you choose "Special K" (or something like that!) as your provider it will give you the proper settings for connecting in Telus territory.
--
db

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
I do have an Ubuntu 10 box running downstairs. Mostly as a back up for files and a voice server. Would you suggest that ST516V6?

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
Depends on your definition of easy. The method I used required a bootp server. I found instructions on setting one up in Ubuntu. No doubt it can be done from Windows too, but I've never tried.

The st516v6 is the one Telus will give you if you talk to the right person and press him or her hard enough.
--
db

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to clarknova
said by clarknova:

I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.
The modems I can get are definently speedtouch modems. Not sure on the model though. Is it easy to flash them with latest firmware? How much does TS charge for the WRT54G? Can't seem to find a price anywhere

clarknova

Grande Prairie, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rustydusty
I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.
--
db