Search similar:

uniqs
pmarcovi
join:2009-06-29
Woodbridge, ON

pmarcovi to TSI Outages

to TSI Outages

Re: Everything MLPPP

Can the Tomato MLPPP version be applied on the WRT320N? Newer version of "regular" Tomato can ...

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

said by pmarcovi:

Newer version of "regular" Tomato can ...

Nope. »polarcloud.com/tomato

If it's not on that page then it's not going to work.
pmarcovi
Woodbridge, ON

pmarcovi

said by clarknova:

said by pmarcovi:

Newer version of "regular" Tomato can ...

Nope. »polarcloud.com/tomato

If it's not on that page then it's not going to work.

These links says otherwise:
»tomatousb.org/forum/t-26 ··· mato-usb

What is the chance that the MLPPP version does not work if the newer version works?

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

TomatoUSB is based on Tomato. Tomato/mlppp is based on Tomato. Neither of these is Tomato, but two distinct forks thereof.

Tomato is a K24 build. In other words it runs on the Linux 2.4 series kernel. Likewise, Tomato/mlppp exists only in the K24 flavour.

The version of TomatoUSB that runs on your router is a K26 build, running on the Linux 2.6 series kernel. Until somebody ports Tomato/mlppp to K26 you are out of luck with that hardware.
pmarcovi
Woodbridge, ON

pmarcovi

said by clarknova:

TomatoUSB is based on Tomato. Tomato/mlppp is based on Tomato. Neither of these is Tomato, but two distinct forks thereof.

Tomato is a K24 build. In other words it runs on the Linux 2.4 series kernel. Likewise, Tomato/mlppp exists only in the K24 flavour.

The version of TomatoUSB that runs on your router is a K26 build, running on the Linux 2.6 series kernel. Until somebody ports Tomato/mlppp to K26 you are out of luck with that hardware.

I ended up installing the following: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/18/10) big
(SVN revision 14826M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)

It looks like everything works well. From what I understand DD-WRT supports only SLPPP, but that is what I need.

It would be nice if the Tomato MLPPP is upgraded to use the 2.6 kernel ...
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Sorry for the noob question but I am having DSL installed next week after having cable for the last decade.

I understand that MLPPP can be installed on a single line, do I still need a tomato based router?
mdirouhi
join:2011-01-07
Scarborough, ON

mdirouhi

Yes, you still need a router installed with Tomato MLPPP.

I would recommend that you buy Linksys WRT54GL router straight from Teksavvy. That way you can get support with setting up the router.

underubb
@teksavvy.com

underubb

Anon

"for single line MLPPP" you can just use any old modem/router and an app on your computer..... Is bell still throttling un-MLPPP connections?
Dunlop

Dunlop

said by underubb :

"for single line MLPPP" you can just use any old modem/router and an app on your computer..... Is bell still throttling un-MLPPP connections?

thanks for the responses.

I am about to cave and pick up an ASUS RT-N16,

My question was a little unclear.

I assume if you have multiple devices then MLPPP needs to be setup via the router as opposed to setting up my PC for MLPPP (in windows) but configuring the other devices (2nd PC, PS3, ect) to connect via PPPoE
Dunlop

1 edit

Dunlop to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
I ended up picking up a Netgear N300

I see it can take tomato or DD-Wrt

I want to setup MLPPP on a single DSL connection, is there a preferred firmware of the two?

thanks (this should be my last noob question)

edit: nvm, set it up with DD-WRT

atrens
@juniper.net

atrens to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn

A few questions folks ..

--
First question has to do with topology/vlans/pppoe ..

Here's my simple network topology. In words I have two Thomson
516v6's connected to a close-by ethernet switch, then about 40 ft
of cat5e and another ethernet switch. And connected to that second
switch is my mlppp/pppoe box -

___ ___
516v6x--x| | | |
| X |x----x| X |
516v6x--x|___| |___|x--x mlppp/pppoe box
^ ^ ^
| | |_ second gige switch
| |
| |_ 10m cat5e
|
|_ first gige switch

What I'd like to do is to create a vlan on one of the thompson's,
say vlanid = 9 just for sake of argument, so that I can direct my
second pppoe connection to run on that vlan so that it's certain
that that connection will get directed to the secondary thomson.
I've empirically verified that with only one Thompson in the network
I can create multiple links on the one device, so I'm thinking that
I need some way of partitioning the two modems (vlan) so that hilarity
won't ensue once I enable the second modem. :)

Has anyone attempted this and might know the Thomson cli incantation for
creating vlans? I'm tempted to just yank user.ini off of the Thomson
and change the default vlan to be 9.

--
Second question has to do with MRRU's and link latency and throughput
parameter tuning ..

Here are my current LCP negotiated settings -

[L1] show lcp
LCP [Opened]
Self:
MRU : 1492 bytes
MAGIC : 0x5ff944db
ACCMAP : 0x000a0000
ACFCOMP : No
PROTOCOMP: Yes
AUTHTYPE : none
MRRU : 4096 bytes
SHORTSEQ : No
ENDPOINTDISC: [802.1] 00 0d b9 0d 02 50
Peer:
MAGIC : 0x2c863d13
ACCMAP : 0xffffffff
ACFCOMP : No
PROTOCOMP: No
AUTHTYPE : PAP
MRRU : 32719 bytes
SHORTSEQ : No
ENDPOINTDISC: [LOCAL] 34 36 30 37 32 31 30 30 39 31 00 00 00 00 00

Firstly I'm assuming MRU should be the same as normal single link ppp. So I'm
pretty confident about 1492.

Now the MRRU on the other hand is kind of intriguing. I've read through the 7
or so pages of posts on this thread and see that folks have commented on atm
cell payload size and the like as it relates to MRRU, but what's up with the
Teksavvy 'peer' having a huge MRRU of 32719? Far as I know this violates the
PPPOE RFC which I think says 4096 bytes. And what relation (if any) does 32719
have to atm cell payload size?

$ bc -l
32719/53
32719 - (617*53)

Can folks comment on what the best setting is for my side's MRRU? Should I be
matching Teksavvy's setting?

--
And one final question wrt to link latency and bandwidth.

I have the ability to tweak these, here are my current settings -

[L1] show link
Link L1 (static):
Configuration:
Device type : pppoe
MRRU : 4096 bytes
Ctrl char map : 0x000a0000 bytes
Retry timeout : 2 seconds
Max redial : unlimited, delay 1s
Bandwidth : 800000 bits/sec
Latency : 5 usec
Keep-alive : every 5 secs, timeout 75
Ident string : ""

First of all my assumption is that both bandwidth and latency pertain only
to Transmit (ie uplink) characteristics of my link. So I've set my bandwidth
to match what my modem is reporting as my upstream bandwidth.

Latency apparently is only important when the links have different
characteristics which is in this case is not a concern. Any non-zero small
value seems to be fine.

So my final question simply whether folks have experience to share wrt
my bandwidth and latency assumptions.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

--Andrew
pmarcovi
Woodbridge, ON

pmarcovi to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
For any routers that need K26 (Kernel Linux 2.6) like Linksys WRT320n, there is a tomato mod called DualWAN which apparently does support MLPPP (single and multi). Unfortunately, the official site and the firmware itself is Chinese only.

Recently I found out somebody translated it in English. See postings here: »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· 3/page-8.

I do not know when I will have time to try it (currently running with DD-WRT), but if anybody here does try it, please post the results.

f1daily
join:2011-04-11
canada

f1daily to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hey guys, I'm an idiot when it comes to MLPPP. If I add MLPPP with TekSavvy, do I need a proper router or change settings or will it work right away without me not doing anything on my part to stop torrent throttling. My Ubuntu distro says it needs one week to download and I can't take it anymore!

Thanks for the help!
Dunlop

Dunlop

you need a router with dd-wrt or tomato as mentioned in the OP which has MLPPP features.
edykstra
join:2011-07-31
Barrie, ON

edykstra to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
For 3 or 4 lines, TekSavvy suggests the RouterBoard RB750GL. It is apparently an awesome piece of hardware, and only costs approx $70.

However, the unit comes with ZERO documentation, and the online docs assume you are working with a different model that has a serial interface. (And I had to complain to Mikrotik to get that added recently. Before that, there was nothing.)

I've poured over countless forum posts, each with bits of info - which likely do NOT go together. TekSavvy does not support the setup, but apparently Acanac offers a beautiful script for the unit. Just enter your user/pass and you are done. Why can't TekSavvy do that?

I've got a /27 subnet from TekSavvy and I REALLY need to get this going.

Is there anyone out there with a bunch of static IPs and a RB750GL that can send me screen shots of the Winbox configuration windows to help me figure this out? If not, I guess I am expected to reverse engineer the embedded code on the chips.

Thanks in advance for your effort.
jammin1911
join:2011-01-29

jammin1911 to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Is it possible to use MLPPP with VDSL2? (Specifically the 25/7 package from Teksavvy)

Thanks!
aks_canada
join:2004-11-20
Oakville, ON

aks_canada to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Hi
I have tried to find out this info, because i know there are a slew of messages concerning.... but.... specifically, does the Netgear WNDR3700 support Single Line MLPPP?
I read that the newer version 2 as of two weeks ago now will work with DD-WRT. Is this the firmware I will need to get it up and running?

My goal is to get a stable router running Wireless N and Single LIne MLPPP that is scaleable if I upgrade my DSL speed. I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL that works well, but it's not Wireless N.
Thanks
Dunlop

Dunlop

pretty sure that's the router I picked up (I'll check when I get home), my understanding is that all routers will recent versions of DD-WRT installed will support single line MLPPP.

Works without an issue for me
Sith Sideus
join:2011-03-27
Mount Pleasant, ON

Sith Sideus to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
so if im only getting 1.5meg down and .5 meg up if i was to set up lets say a 2 connection MLPPP would i be getting 3meg down and 1 meg up? or would it strengthen the line quality and make things better?

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

MLPPP has no effect on your DSL connection (ie, what happens between the ISP and the modem). If you have a DSL connection that is getting 1.5/0.5, then the best you can hope for by adding another connection is 3/1.
Sith Sideus
join:2011-03-27
Mount Pleasant, ON

Sith Sideus to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
ya thats what i thought, thank you.
yalag
join:2011-08-15
m2n0c2

yalag to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
does anyone know if the router sold by teksavvy for MLPPP supports QoS? If not, how should I incorporate my QoS router into the setup? thank you

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

If you're referring to the WRT54GL running Tomato/MLPPP, it does.

Webcan
@teksavvy.com

Webcan to JenSuisUn

Anon

to JenSuisUn
HI! Does anyone know why the ND version is no longer in the latest build? I have a Asus WL-520-GU and I tried a day ago to load the latest version Alpha 7 and the stable one "Tomato/MLPPP 1.19-mp2 (2.7 MiB)" but did not load on my router after installation.

from my understanding the ND version is specifically for my routers types and wondering why its not in the Alpha4 release?

Another thing is what is the word on support for the Asus RT-N16?
I am interested in this modem for its power, memory and affordability.

Paul

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

The ND version is hidden in a thread in this forum. I believe it's the announcement thread for the latest alpha.

As for the RT-N16, it uses Linux 2.6, while the Tomato/MLPPP exists only in Linux 2.4. In other words, until somebody does some porting work, 802.11n routers are not candidates for Tomato/MLPPP.

edit: Here you go: »Re: Tomato/MLPPP v3 alpha 7 released!
veger
join:2011-09-06

veger

HI!. thanks for link, so far it works fine with my Asus WL-520GU with Multi-link - Dual lines. With two 5 meg/750k up connects I am getting about on average Dn=9.0 mb Up=1.15. (no longer than usual to connect even when comparing it to a stable dd-wrt version).

Question: I do need more power though. What is the most powerful router that tomato/mlppp supports? I got a HOTSPOT with about 20 (and growing) users and some of them I know use utorrent and vuse.

Paul
veger

veger

Ps, its me Webcan, somehow I got missed up on sites and must have created another account here BY accident. oppps.

Paul

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to veger

to veger
The WL-520GU can handle 15-20 mbps of throughput, although you might run it out of RAM if you really hammer it with torrents.

Have a look at »fw5.net/. I believe the WNDR3700v2 was recently added to the supported list, and should handle 100 mbps or so of throughput.

If you really want to go all out you could install pfsense 2.0 on the x86 hardware of your choice. »pfsense.org I think Linux/MLPPP might still be a viable option if you're handy with a shell. »fixppp.org
veger
join:2011-09-06

veger

Re: Everything MLPPP -

HI! Thanks for info I will look it up. ps. Something screwed up since my last post concerning version 7. After a few hours the connections was down and I could no longer get into the routers admin area. I had to re-flash the router.

So I will load v7 again on another Asus WL-520GU but this time I will try to flash it directly without going through the upgrade process. (meaning I will not flash with 4 first then upgrade).

I will get to this here when I am done.

Paul
veger

veger to clarknova

to clarknova

Re: Everything MLPPP

HI! I check out the router recommendation you gave for the Netgear "WNDR3700v2" cpu=680 flash=16 ram=64, and on newegg I read a lot of dropped connections even from a few users that gave the router a good rating. So I check out the list at fw5.net and saw the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H cpu=680 flash flash=32 ram=128.

Although this router has fewer reviews, overall the cons are far less relevant (IMHO). most of the complaints about the Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H was concerning "non-detachable antennas and difficult interface" non of which concerns me or anyone else whom wants to use another firmware and has no need for detachable antennas. The pros are obvious as its a more powerful router and its a dual band (comparable to the Asus RT-N16 with the exception that the Asus is not a dual band).

I plan to use it as a main gateway as all other Hotspot routers connect into it, thus the need for a faster CPU and ram.

PS.One of the reasons why I choose the Asus WL-520GU as a Hotspot router was because of its detachable antennas as I need it to connect to an external powered antenna on the top of an apartment building.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Paul