uniqs
share rss forum feed

girafe

join:2009-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to yp_1

Re: Everything MLPPP

can you past you setting?
I use debian too, it stable but i get about 10% packet loss went there is moderate traffic on the connetion.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

please start new thread in forum & I'll refer to it from the original post.

girafe

Montreal, QC
reply to yp_1

i use the normal ppp from debian stable

girafe

Montreal, QC
reply to TSI Martin

Done, but what is this tread for? saw the topic and assumed that was the place for my question :P

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

Yes but if it's specifically for Debian... let's just keep all of it in one place rather then mixing all vegetables in the stir-fry
--
TSI Martin - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

joshb
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Calgary, AB
reply to TSI Martin

Anyone up for taking all this infor and turning it into a Officail FAQ?
--
Middle Age: The time between I don't care and medicare

rizlo100

join:2009-05-05
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Martin

Just curious if anyone would find a use for a MLPPP setup guide under FreeBSD 7.x and mpd5. I've been using it since moving to TSI but I never see anyone else us it. I'd be happy to write up walk through for fBSD 7.x/mpd5/pf if there is enough interest.

-Riz
TheInterTubes.ca

kewlkeed
Grouch
Premium
join:2005-02-05
Knowlton, QC
kudos:1
reply to TSI Martin

1 ) Something to add is Mikrotik is another router capable of MLPPP, but it is certainly advanced level.

2 ) I think it would be good to delete this, as well as every other reply to the thread and just keep the main message.

Mersault

join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Martin

I'd like to see a bit of into about the MTU/MRU values that are best for the different situations (single link, two links, etc). Also I'd like to know which directions are round-robin and which directions use packet splitting.

groovejumper

join:2010-01-26
reply to rizlo100

said by rizlo100:

Just curious if anyone would find a use for a MLPPP setup guide under FreeBSD 7.x and mpd5. I've been using it since moving to TSI but I never see anyone else us it. I'd be happy to write up walk through for fBSD 7.x/mpd5/pf if there is enough interest.

-Riz
TheInterTubes.ca
Yes - I would find a use for this! I'm running Zeroshell in a Hyper-V vm right now, but while I like some aspects of it so far, I'm finding I'm limited in some areas that perhaps I wouldn't be with pf (won't know 'til I try it though). A walkthrough or guide would be a great help for me.

g.

rizlo100

join:2009-05-05
Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Check out this post for config's for mpd5/pf and your rc.conf. These are taken from my router running FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE.

Install bsd, enable the pf kernel modules and install mpd5 from the ports tree. Update the configs to suit your needs and you should be golden

»FreeBSD and Multilink PPP

As always, YMMV.

xstatic414

join:2010-01-30
Brampton, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Using tomato 1.25-mp3alpha6. Need some help trying to connect 3 line mlppp please. Have two lines working. When I try to set up for the third line it connects but does not pull data: only 2 of 3 relevant port lights flash on linksys GL. Switching cables proves all three modems work, just not together.

Right now I have it set for 2 lines with MLPPP Interfaces set: vlan1,br0. For the third line, I have set this in every configuration I can think of.

Adding ",br1" does connect 3 lines, but the third line doesn't pull. I tried vlan0, br1,br2 and most other combinations of vlan1, vlan0, br0,1 & 2 but no go. I tried to check and un-check the "Reject non-MLPPP connections" option.

PS. The two line together only increase the speed to 7.8 Kps. I was hoping for 15 with 3 lines and see it is possible on other posts. I was getting 5.7+ with bell. Comments would be most welcome. Thanks!

darkzero

join:2008-06-01
reply to TSI Martin

I'm looking to set up MLPPP with 1 wet and 1 dry. I've already got something with TSI on the house's wet line so I want to add a dry loop.

The question is, what kind of steps will I need to take to add another line. Can I do it myself? In my research I believe there needs to be something done to my demarc (wiring up the secondary line - x coloured cables to black/yellow cables?) and then I need to re-wire one phone line to use these new black/yellow instead of red/green.

After/before that I can activate my second line on dry loop and should be able to get a dial tone/connection?

I've opened up my demarc and saw white/blue going to red/green. There's also black/yellow hanging loose in the same cabling as the red/green and an assortment of colours that go with the white/blue.

If I'm getting it right, I should be able to twist black/yellow and, say, orange/orange-white together and then in a phone jack in the house replace the white/blue with orange/orange-white.

Is there anything else to it? It feels like something huge is missing. I can take pictures of my demarc and a phone port in my house if anyone is willing to help.

Cheers!

ohmer

join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC
kudos:1
reply to TSI Martin

Bell tech always installed me a second jack for free for my second line.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to xstatic414

You can't just plug another modem into the switch. You need to set up a new vlan on one of the ports by changing the nvram settings. You might need to create a bridge on that vlan (pppd segfaults if you give it a vlan directly, I don't recall if we auto-create bridges for vlans), and then put that into the device list.

I don't recall the instructions on setting up a vlan off-hand.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to TSI Martin

adding thread to Pfsense 2.0 w/ MLPPP

»[working] mlppp in pfsense 2.0!
--

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to Mersault

said by Mersault:

I've posted about my MLPPP in FreeBSD setup here. Please feel free to provide feedback or ask any questions you may have.
Your link is dead eh

Mersault

join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Yeah, I know. MySQL related issues since yesterday, and I've been too busy with work to resolve them. Should have some time over the weekend to fix it.

Edit: Website is back in service.

gramzee

join:2010-03-10
L9T7T8
reply to TSI Martin

Hi guys. I'm moving to Milton later this year and am looking at using Teksavvy as my new ISP. Currently i'm with Rogers in Mississauga.

In this new house I don't plan on getting a phone line from Bell. If I want to utilize MLPPP can someone help me understand what I need to ask Teksavvy for when I setup my new account? I work for D-Link and am hoping to utilize D-Link DSL modems and a DFL-260 UTM Firewall if possible. Not yet sure if it supports MLPPP, i'll ask around about that internally.

Will I need two dry loop lines from Teksavvy, or will one allow me to connect both modems?

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

All you need is the dryloop lines. Which ever modem you decide to use, it really doesn't matter, as long as at the end of the day it's a DSL compatible modem & both line rates are identical. As for the DFL device, not sure if it does support MLPPP tho.

Regards,
Martin
--

gramzee

L9T7T8
reply to TSI Martin

To confirm I can expect to pay monthly for DSL Rate + 2 x Band Rates + $4 for MLPPP? Any other costs I should expect? eg. Costs involved with setting up the dry loop? This will be a brand new built house. Obviously costs for hardware and activation are seperate.

gramzee

L9T7T8
reply to TSI Martin

Hi guys, I determined today that I'll be looking elsewhere other than D-Link for compatability with MLPPP on a router. I was hoping one of our business class router/firewalls could do it. That said, I was looking at the list of routers that support Tomato (understood that Tomato/MLPPP while it should work with others has only been tested by the developer on the WRT54G). I was hoping if anyone can share their experiences with other routers than the WRT54G, such as the WRTSL54GS or Netgear WNR3500 series routers. I'm looking at these in particular as I like the fact their specs are higher than most with a more powerful processor and higher amounts of RAM.

Thanks for providing your feedback!

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

The HCL for the official Tomato builds is found at www.polarcloud.com/tomato. If you look for the latest release announcement in this forum you'll find a build of the ND version, which I've been running on the ASUS WL-520gu for about a day in total, without incident.

I can't comment on the higher-powered models you listed, but if you're looking for something with a little more heft you could always try pfsense, which on an inexpensive alix or atom board would far outperform any mips board for comparable outlay.
--
db

PhoenixAura

join:2010-02-11
North York, ON
reply to TSI Martin

I'm running it on the Asus WL-520GU, and haven't had any issues.

I've also recommended an MLPPP setup to a client company of mine, and have purchased the ASUS WL-520GU to act as the front-end router that will sit just in-front of the corporate firewall.

Obviously, right now, since the deployment of Multi-link PPP is not widespread, most small to mid-size equipment vendors have chosen not to include support for MLPPP in their products (SonicWALL, Cisco Linksys, etc.). However, Routerboard supplies an enterprise-class product that apparently supports MLPPP deployments of up to 5-bonded lines: »www.routerboard.com/pricelist.ph···oduct=90

The MRRP is roughly $70 USD, so it's actually pretty cheap considering the capabilities. I would rather deploy this product, as opposed to Tomato, because it is "officially" supported by the vendor, and routerboard's products are known for performance and stability.

I know there are a few others on here testing out the Routerboard product, so maybe they can fill you in on the details, as I have yet to actually test one out for myself.

gramzee

L9T7T8
reply to TSI Martin

pheonixaura .... interesting I just came across another thread that was promoting that mikrotik router and it's OS. I'm currently reading this »www.mikrotik.com/pdf/what_is_routeros.pdf
which appears to say that you can run the OS itself on an x86 box. Now i'm wondering about making a mini-itx box with this OS. Probably overkill on speed, but hey, then you'd won't be asking yourself if you can do it faster for a longtime

But I'm still researching, might find out can't do it this way either. Basically I think right now, I want MLPPP and VLAN in a single box of some sort.

PhoenixAura

join:2010-02-11
North York, ON

Apparently, RouterOS will support all that.

I wouldn't mess around with a miniITX. What for? Now you have to concern yourself with hardware, drivers, etc.

Grab the pre-fab unit direct from Mikrotik. You can always phone them first and confirm that it will provide you with all of the necessary feature and functionality you're searching for.

If you're set on going the mini-ITX route, why even pay for RouterOS? Just install a free Linux-distro and build a multi-link PPP router yourself... ....or install PFSense (also free), etc. There are even other options as well, such as ZeroShell (Web Interface, so it's easier than using command-line to create necessary rules yourself), Slax Router (another Linux run-off --> »slaxrouter.sourceforge.net/gallery.html), etc.

There are more options, but you get the idea. In all honesty, I'm looking for an MLPPP bridge device. I'm waiting for the day when someone (Thompson?) builds a dual- or quad-port DSL modem, with an internal MLPPP bridge configuration, so that it simply provides the MLPPP link, and forwards all other traffic (including DHCP / WAN IP) directly to the firewall sitting behind it.

yp_1

join:2009-12-31
reply to gramzee

If this is a new area, you better check with Teksavvy support on DSL service availability. Very often new areas don't get DSL service right away so you may have to get stuck with Rogers for a while (happened to me a couple of times).

txr13

join:2010-03-17
Surrey, BC
reply to TSI Martin

Pardon me if I'm asking a question that's already been answered and I missed it...

Is this also available in Western Canada, specifically Vancouver?

mofoo

join:2007-10-27
Burlington, ON
reply to TSI Martin

Hai Guyz!
Don't forget router config!
»mlppp.teksavvy.com/
Screenshots on how to set up tom/mlppp. The miscellaneous settings are important for performance

ericv_888

join:2010-04-25
Saint-Etienne-De-Lauzon, QC
reply to TSI Martin

Hi

I'm thinking of switching to teksavvy, and I want to know it it is possible to enable MLPPP on a Asus RT-N12 router using third party firmware such as Tomato or DD-WRT. I know that their are some builds that support the Asus RT-N12, I just don't know if MLPPP is supported in these builds.