Search similar:

uniqs

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: Everything MLPPP

So you are doing mlppp on telus? Didn't know you could that on telus as well. Basically what I wanna know is if I can get 1.5Mb upload or more for less than $95 a month. Download speed isn't a huge deal. I'd be happy with 6-7Mb download, and similar upload. I do a fair amount of upload to remote servers, and I also do remote stuff from work on my home computers. I don't download much though, which is why I don't need lots of download speed. I just don't like paying Shaw $95/month for a rip off service. I can only get 10Mb download on a tier that is suppost to be 25Mb download. Anyways, thanks for all the help.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

said by rustydusty:

So you are doing mlppp on telus?
Well, no. It's a Teksavvy account in Telus territory, so from here to Vancouver it runs on Telus infrastructure. And it's not officially supported by TSI, although I haven't had a problem with it in the month I've been on it.
what I wanna know is if I can get 1.5Mb upload or more for less than $95 a month.
That's a big maybe. Like I said, I'm getting 1.4 mbps of actual throughput for a hair over $100. If your phone line is of better quality than mine you may get 1.5 mbps or better, and if your dry loop fee is less than $14, or if you have a phone line or 2 on premises, which I don't, then you can save yourself the dry loop fee once or twice. Also because TSI doesn't support mlppp in the west, they don't charge you the $4 fee for it, unless you need a static IP.

So it's possible you could get your 1.5 for under $100, but I warn you that Telus will fumble your hookup, so get ready for a ride.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by clarknova:

said by rustydusty:

So you are doing mlppp on telus?
Well, no. It's a Teksavvy account in Telus territory, so from here to Vancouver it runs on Telus infrastructure. And it's not officially supported by TSI, although I haven't had a problem with it in the month I've been on it.
what I wanna know is if I can get 1.5Mb upload or more for less than $95 a month.
That's a big maybe. Like I said, I'm getting 1.4 mbps of actual throughput for a hair over $100. If your phone line is of better quality than mine you may get 1.5 mbps or better, and if your dry loop fee is less than $14, or if you have a phone line or 2 on premises, which I don't, then you can save yourself the dry loop fee once or twice. Also because TSI doesn't support mlppp in the west, they don't charge you the $4 fee for it, unless you need a static IP.

So it's possible you could get your 1.5 for under $100, but I warn you that Telus will fumble your hookup, so get ready for a ride.
I'm better off staying with Shaw's Warp then until something else comes along. Just seems like a rip off for 15x2 for $100/month. Only thing Tek has over Shaw is their caps are a lot higher. Price is similar though.

robotank
join:2008-03-02
Hamilton, ON

robotank to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
I'm a new TekSavvy customer and new to this MLPPP thing, and after reading what I can find on DSLReports and TekSavvy's MLPPP page, I'm still a little unclear on something. I signed up for MLPPP (and static IP) purely to bypass Bell's throttling (I'd love to bond two lines, but I can't afford it at the moment). I have a new Thomson TG585 Gateway with the Thomson firmware on it. It's connected to the Internet through PPPoE using my MLPPP login. Does this achieve the MLPPP connection, or do I need to install Tomato on my router? I apologize if I've missed something obvious. I'm hoping someone here will be willing to help out a noob. Thanks in advance.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

You would need a router that can support the Tomato/MLPPP firmware. The TG 585 would need to be set in Bridge mode for you to use with a compatible router. If I can assume you are in Alberta, then you shouldn't be affected by the Throttling right now.

robotank
Hamilton, ON

robotank

said by JenSuisUn:

You would need a router that can support the Tomato/MLPPP firmware. The TG 585 would need to be set in Bridge mode for you to use with a compatible router. If I can assume you are in Alberta, then you shouldn't be affected by the Throttling right now.
Whoops, I forgot to update my location. I'm actually in Hamilton, Ontario now. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess I should have done a little more research before paying for the TG585. I don't think the employee who I did the original sale with was entirely clear on what I'd need for the MLPPP. I seem to remember his telling me that the Linksys was only for people bonding lines together and I wouldn't need it. Oh well. I guess I'll have to pick up a compatible router when I can afford it. Thanks again, Martin.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

well if you are on a single computer, you can always use the Broadband connection in Windows with the MLPPP check to connect it that way.

robotank
Hamilton, ON

robotank

I'm on OS X Snow Leopard. I looked around, and it seems that running a VM is my only option other than buying the Linksys or another compatible router. One more thing to clarify: the Linksys is only a router, not a modem/router? and putting the Thomson in bridge mode means that it simply acts as a modem and passes the routing on to the other router connected to it? Thanks.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

said by robotank:

I'm on OS X Snow Leopard. I looked around, and it seems that running a VM is my only option other than buying the Linksys or another compatible router.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a way to get OSX to do mlppp, although perhaps not in the GUI.
One more thing to clarify: the Linksys is only a router, not a modem/router? and putting the Thomson in bridge mode means that it simply acts as a modem and passes the routing on to the other router connected to it? Thanks.
Correct.

robotank
Hamilton, ON

robotank

Thanks for the reply, claknova. I'm getting around the P2P throttling for now by another method. However, since I've only been using the Thomson gateway for a couple days, I'm thinking of calling TekSavvy customer service tomorrow to see if I can send it back and get a Linksys and the cheapest Thomson modem instead.
robotank

robotank

TekSavvy is sending me the Thomson 516 + Linksys and allowing me to return the Thomson 585 for a refund. All's well that ends well.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
ok can someone please elabourate more on the wiring, a client of mine wants his house re-wired for mlmppp, from what i gather here, its very limited info on the wiring, 2 modems, 2 demark's and one router? the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into? the LAN port? that is not right?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?

robotank
Hamilton, ON

robotank to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Sorry to interrupt the chain here. I just have a quick followup on my previous postings and a question I'm hoping someone from TSI can answer for me. I've been up and running on SLPPP for a few days now, and for the most part everything is working well. However, I've found that every so often (I notice it every couple of days or so) my connection goes down for a few minutes. Today I logged in to the router and noticed that my connection uptime had reset after the connection came back. Is this occasional reconnecting something that tends to happen with MLPPP/PPPoE connections, or should I be on the phone with tech support?
Expand your moderator at work

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to Pauly

to Pauly

Re: Everything MLPPP

said by Pauly:

the routers only have 1 WAN port, so where does the second modme plug into?

or do you need a SPECIAL router?
Your router has to support mlppp. If you're using Tomato on a supported router then it is configured such that you will use any one of the LAN ports as your second WAN.

If you're using Linux, FreeBSD, or some other software for your router then you will have to have a physical or virtual (vlan) interface for each WAN connection.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to Pauly

Premium Member

to Pauly
Most residences will have multiple pairs to the demarc. Inside wiring typically has 2 pairs. If he wants more the 2 lines then there needs to be extra pairs installed inside. 1 Pair per modem. the "special router" can be used on any ports to plug the modems in. To use more then 2 lines, I'd suggest you uses alternative methods then a Linksys wrt54gl router (most popular way).

Regards,
Martin
the_sLiDe
join:2010-06-20
Montreal, QC

the_sLiDe to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but for SLPPP to work with DD-WRT all you have to do is check the Multi-Link option in the setup menu and lower the MTU to 1442 and voila, works.

Cheers.

TSI Gabe
Router of Packets
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Gatineau, QC

TSI Gabe

Premium Member

1442? Make that 1486
stevey_frac
join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

stevey_frac

said by TSI Gabe:

1442? Make that 1486
The Gabe has spoken. DO NOT INCUR HIS WRATH!

*hides*

Also: MLPPP is pimp. Thanks to all those who worked to make it happen, and support it.

the_sLiDe
join:2010-06-20
Montreal, QC

the_sLiDe to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Thanks Gabe, you learn something new every day. Works like a charm!
Rizak
join:2009-09-20
Nepean, ON

Rizak to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
router
I have a Linksys WRT54G (v4) flashed with the newest version of Tomato/MLPPP.
I have a SpeedTouch 516 and a SpeedTouch 546.
I have 2 phone lines.

When I connect each modem individually directly to the computer and then connect via PPPoE I get a regular connection with regular (though unsatisfying) results.

When I connect everything to the router I get a sawtooth graph of connectivity. It will connect for about 30 seconds and then disconnect for the same amount of time. It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out. I've included some small helpful graphics showing the upload graphs from Vuze to illustrate.

I've reflashed the router a couple of times and reset the modems individually a number of times nearing infinity.

I'm going to try it one more time by resetting everything to factory defaults (again), reboot everything and see if I can at least get something resembling a working, stable connection.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
Just curious as to what the dry loop fee's are in central Alberta. Looking at doing mlppp, but wanna make sure it's gonna be cheaper than what I'm paying for Shaw Warp before going ahead with it.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

3 edits

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

BC Dry Loop Information

* Activation Fee - $39.99
Band --- Price
Band A -$6.90/mo.
Band B -$11.39/mo.
Band C -$12.66/mo.
Band D -$11.36/mo.
Band E -$26.02/mo.
Band F -$20.88/mo.
Band G -$26.84/mo.

AB Dry Loop Information

* Activation fees - $39.99
Band --- Price
Band A -$7.04/mo
Band B -$9.58/mo.
Band C -$11.04/mo.
Band D -$10.48/mo.
Band E -$16.53/mo.
Band F -$14.18/mo.
Band G -$16.20/mo.

AB & BC Dryloop fee's are different.
I've edited this post with the proper information.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

1 edit

clarknova

Holy crap, those took a jump. Is that effective immediately?

edit: teksavvy.com still shows the old pricing structure. What's up?

Dry Loop Information
Activation fees - $39.99
Band Price
Band A $7.04/mo
Band B $9.58/mo.
Band C $11.04/mo.
Band D $10.48/mo.
Band E $16.53/mo.
Band F $14.18/mo.
Band G $16.20/mo.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

I'm seeing the information that Martin posted on teksavvy.com

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Ok, I see that table for BC, but it's different for AB, which is the table I posted.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Indeed I misinformed you about the info for AB. I supposed unlike Bell out East Telus gives different prices to the provinces.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
What does everyone use for modems and a router? Is there a router that can be bought with mlppp/tomato already installed and ready to go? I can get 2 adsl modems for free, just waiting on hearing what modems they are. Wanted to see what everyone else is using though.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by clarknova:

I use the Thomson Speedtouch 516v6 flashed to the latest firmware (really helps to reduce jitter). There is a tplink for cheap but I found them unusable. Other people on the forum like them and they are about half the price.

Tomato/mlppp is the way to go for 2 lines. The ASUS WL-520gu can be had for cheap and works well. I think teksavvy will sell you a WRT54G with Tomato/mlppp preinstalled, but the price for your convenience is quite a bit higher, as I recall.
The modems I can get are definently speedtouch modems. Not sure on the model though. Is it easy to flash them with latest firmware? How much does TS charge for the WRT54G? Can't seem to find a price anywhere