spc
uniqs
alander
join:2010-01-19
Mississauga, ON

alander to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: Everything MLPPP

Hi guys. A total newb here. Thank you for all the info OP. I have couple, perhaps dumb, questions:
1. Do I need two physical phone lines for the MLPPP service to work or can two DSL services be "sent" over one line? I currently have a Teksavvy phoneline and a DSL service and am getting 3Mbps d/l (about 360Kb/s). Would I be able to sign up for the MLPPP without neccessity of any additional wiring or would a new phone line had to be pulled from the Demarc? (or do I just split one line and put each cable to a separate modem and then to a router).
2. Do the two DSL modems have to be the same model/brand or can they be different?
3. Also, since my current line has some quality issues that do not allow me to be put on a higher profile, would this affect the MLPPP as well - i.e. would I get double the current speed, or is it possible I may be put on two "lower" profiles to accommodate my line quality?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Mersault
join:2007-10-26
Toronto, ON

Mersault

alander,

1) You need to pairs of copper. Note that cat3 (standard phone cable) has two pairs in it, and usually only one pair is ever used. It's possible to run DSL on both pairs from the demarc, and then split out the two pair to two phone jacks at the location with the modems (I've done this myself).

2) The modems can be different. They just need to support bridged mode. I have however seen differences in modem performance. I've run MLPPP fast enough that even though the modem was just in bridged mode, the modem would lock up after a few minutes of maxing out the line. It seems that even in bridged mode MLPPP takes more resources.

3) With a standard MLPPP setup (two DSL service on two phone lines) you get double the speed of your slowest connection.