uniqs

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

1 recommendation

Z80A

Premium Member

That isn't what is available

It only reflects what people choose to buy.
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

1 edit

cooldude9919

said by Z80A:

If 50mb/50mb fiber was available to everyone for the same price they where paying now i would bet they would have that instead.

My point being whats available does have an affect on what people purchase.
beaups
join:2003-08-11
Hilliard, OH

2 recommendations

beaups to Z80A

to Z80A
EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 edit

Karl Bode to Z80A

News Guy

to Z80A
In reality it probably reflects both, though you'd need more granular market by market data to really see.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

N3OGH to cooldude9919

Premium Member

to cooldude9919
Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

Yes. What happened to all the gigabit speeds in Korea we always hear about? Are they real? Are they generally available? Or are they so costly, nobody wants to pay for them.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

So then, what you really mean to say, is price v speed, is still way out of wack, and we are still getting ripped off, be the connection slow or fast.

I was pretty sure that's what you meant..

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A

Premium Member

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to N3OGH

Premium Member

to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

Delaware the fastest state?

I thought Delaware was part of New Jersey
I thought it was just a toll booth when traveling along North East Coast.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

No it's not. I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States.
Wow, you speak for us all, do you? Reminds me of someone else on this site.

So, back up your bold claims.

wolverine_99
Premium Member
join:2004-12-07
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

wolverine_99 to beaups

Premium Member

to beaups
That's exactly my first thought. How many people have scaled back their internet speeds in an effort to save money? I have several friends who scaled back their speeds in an effort to save money but still keep HSI. Let's look at this again when the economy is fully recovered in 2-3 years. You'll see a different tune from normal Americans. No offense, but anyone on BBR is not a normal broadband user. I'd consider BBR users to be power users who will sacrifice elsewhere to maintain higher speeds when faced with a budget shortfall at home.
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Delaware and New Jersey are the armpit of America !
BosstonesOwn

BosstonesOwn to FFH5

to FFH5
Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
noname10
join:2009-10-14

noname10

said by BosstonesOwn:

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
You don't sound like you know much at all about how Akamai works with when you dumb things like "but these are measures to an akamai pop." Nope, that's not how Akamai works. Anyway there is no better way or any other company in the world better positioned for this type of data.

Z80A
Premium Member

Z80A to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

Unless you can prove otherwise.
ncbill
Premium Member
join:2007-01-23
Winston Salem, NC

ncbill to wolverine_99

Premium Member

to wolverine_99
I'm helping a number of neighbors switch from cable broadband ($50/month) to AT&T's new DSL promo ($25/month for 12 months).

Most here in my neighborhood are only provisioning at 3MB, but at half the price of cable it's worth it to them.
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to noname10

to noname10
Worked there with engineers for awhile , akamai captures data based on their locations , the database is huge and yes I worked with it.

These are speed measures dependent on who hits the closest akamai server. And it averages out how much data a particular region uses on average. This measures how much data leaves each server and is averaged out based on each pop in the region where the servers lay.

I worked there and worked with the data. I may have phrased it to simplistic for your mind ?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

You can never phrase anything too simplistically for my mind. It seems that this Akamai data is becoming a bit of a benchmark of sorts. It's as good a place for anyone to start when researching regional broadband performance, although this is such an inexact science.
BosstonesOwn
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Exactly , and until we have an easy exact science , this can be taken with a grain of salt.

Relying on one companies benchmarks, no matter how big the company is in the internet world is a big mistake.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

dslreports.com/archive doesn't lie. People buy what they buy. If they want faster speeds they can easily get them for only a few dollars more than the tiers they're on.

So you make bold claims, which I dispute, and you tell me to go find my own answers. Typical. And again, you sure seem to think, you know what everyone on earth is doing and thinking.

You are even changing your statement, as you said "I mean that people are quite content with bottom tier offerings because there are so many other sources of information and entertainment in the States." Which doesn't really tie in with the new statement you made.

It seems to me, even you don't know what you mean, or are talking about, or have the ability to express one idea, and stick to it.

So yeah, sure. People having poor internet speeds, is all about them not wanting more speed, and has nothing to do with price. Or wait, no, they don't need higher speeds, because they have other sources of information and entertainment.. Yeah, that must be it too...

jadebangle
Premium Member
join:2007-05-22

jadebangle to beaups

Premium Member

to beaups
said by beaups:

EXACTLY! With the economy where it's at, I'm sure more than a few of us scaled back from a 7Mb plan to a 2Mb plan? Most people could care less if DOCSIS 12 shows up. I am surprised the source doesn't cite decreased consumer spending as a contributing factor.
I have the option of scaling back to 1mb but i'll stay at 20mb for 70 a month. 1mb is 30 a month. so 40 buck saving will lose me 19mb, no thanks!
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Z80A

to Z80A
said by Z80A:

We have 50Mbps Fios and 15Mbps cable available.

A survey of 23 neighbors reveals that most choose to buy 768K (now 1M) DSL or 1.5Mbps cable modems. Two have 10M Fios. We have 768K cable, chosen to save money ($27/mo).

DSLR forum members are mostly power users, not exactly representative of the average American demographic. Most households are NOT purchasing the maximum speed available.