FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Z80A

Re: That isn't what is available

said by Z80A:

It only reflects what people choose to buy.
Yes. What happened to all the gigabit speeds in Korea we always hear about? Are they real? Are they generally available? Or are they so costly, nobody wants to pay for them.

BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

noname10

join:2009-10-14

said by BosstonesOwn:

Don't know if you understand how the akamai network works , but these are measures to an akamai pop. So if they have gig fiber or 100 mbit links it doesn't matter if the pop or links to the akamai pop are congested enough to only allow so much data flow.

Knowing akamai as well as I do, I understand the spin they throw out there a bit better. We often took this with a grain of salt , akamai does not have a pop in every country and can only measure the hits on their equipment.
You don't sound like you know much at all about how Akamai works with when you dumb things like "but these are measures to an akamai pop." Nope, that's not how Akamai works. Anyway there is no better way or any other company in the world better positioned for this type of data.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Worked there with engineers for awhile , akamai captures data based on their locations , the database is huge and yes I worked with it.

These are speed measures dependent on who hits the closest akamai server. And it averages out how much data a particular region uses on average. This measures how much data leaves each server and is averaged out based on each pop in the region where the servers lay.

I worked there and worked with the data. I may have phrased it to simplistic for your mind ?
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

You can never phrase anything too simplistically for my mind. It seems that this Akamai data is becoming a bit of a benchmark of sorts. It's as good a place for anyone to start when researching regional broadband performance, although this is such an inexact science.

BosstonesOwn

Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Exactly , and until we have an easy exact science , this can be taken with a grain of salt.

Relying on one companies benchmarks, no matter how big the company is in the internet world is a big mistake.
--