spc
uniqs

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

1 edit

Xstar_Lumini to severach

to severach

Re: Do You Warm-Up Your Car In Cold Weather? Don't Do It!

said by severach:

said by digitalfutur:

See how far you get before the windows are so fogged up that you can't see.
You forgot to crack open the window. Put the fan on high and blow all the humidity out. Ignore all low IQ passengers that complain.

-
Why the hell would I do that for? Why should I freeze my arse and fingers? All I have to do is pre-start my vehicle and leave it running for 3-4 minutes and I can drive off warm, fuzzy and without purple fingers.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

severach

said by shaner:

Yep, that works well, until it's so cold out your windows are frozen shut and the power window motors won't budge.
Your fault! The windows won't freeze shut unless they were recently wet and there is a way to get rid of the water.
said by peterboro:

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Your fault. Pick a better route that doesn't have slush spray. If you're worried about worried about rare events like that then you shouldn't be driving at all.
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Why the hell would I do that for? Why should I freeze my arse and fingers?
Opening the window does not freeze you out. That's what the low IQ people think when they hear the noise. You open it just enough so that the heater air can escape without allowing air in. Even if a tiny bit of new air blows in you still aren't being frozen because that air is the same temperature as the air inside the cold car. The next complaint the low IQ people come up with is when the heater starts putting out some warm air they want the window closed. Remember those snowflakes that were blowing in? With a little heat at your expense have changed to steam which will lay a thick fog that will take several minutes at full temperature to remove while you wait in a parking lot. The warm air must be purged through a cracked window until all this humid air is blown out. Done right the cabin heats up just as fast and the windows stay clear.

Warm the car all you want but you can drive without warming in cold weather if you know how. I do warm the car when conditions require it. I don't warm the car for comfort and I don't warm it just because. I'd rather be cold for a few minutes than waste time warming the car up when I could be on the way.
said by mau108:

if your windows are fogging up, us the A/C if your vehicle has it, it will get rid of that moisture very quickly.
Depends on what you call cold. The AC speeds defrosting in non freezing weather. That's why AC equipped vehicles always turn on the AC in defrost. The AC should disable itself when the temperature is below freezing.
said by ErRoR0:

The A/C compressor should kick on with the control set to defrost or bi-level I would imagine.
Bi-Level is dash vent and floor. The AC is forced on and cannot be turned off in Max AC and defrost. Some models have a button that allows the driver to choose AC or not in other modes including the mixed defrost and floor.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 edit

peterboro (banned)

said by severach:

said by peterboro:

Or slush splashes up on a frozen window and you are into a tree or oncoming traffic.
Your fault. Pick a better route that doesn't have slush spray. If you're worried about worried about rare events like that then you shouldn't be driving at all.
You're right I should check the daily slush updates before I head out for the day.
Slush in the winter being such a rare occurrence here in Canada it just slips my mind most days.
Come to think of it maybe I will just stop driving.....hmmmm, na I'll just warm my car up first.