uniqs

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid

[E-mail] Emails from domain not being received

Hi there:

I have a client who regularly received a significant amount of emails from the provest.us domain; until yesterday there wasn't an issue but since yesterday any emails being sent to my client's comcast.net address will not received them. I had them check the SmartZone webmail to make sure it wasn't a problem with Outlook - same problem. I also checked the SPAM folder and settings and the emails are not there either.

As a test, I had the client ask their contact to email them at an AOL address and all the emails show up just fine, so I suspect that for some reason Comcast is flagging provest.us - is this possible and if so, would I have my client contact the Comcast Abuse Department?

TIA.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by NyQuil Kid:

... I suspect that for some reason Comcast is flagging provest.us - is this possible ...
Of course it is. The sender's mail admin should check their mailserver logs to ensure Comcast is actually accepting email from them and, if not, why not.

Trivial to do for a half-way competent email admin where half-way decent email server software is used.

If Comcast is rejecting provest.us' email, provest.us' systems should be notifying the sender(s). If they're not: They're broken.

If Comcast's servers are accepting the email, and the recipient isn't seeing it, that would tend to indicate Comcast may dropping it on the floor somewhere. Can't say as I've heard of Comcast normally being guilty of doing that.

Exception to the above: Comcast accepts, rejects internally, sends a bounce back to the sender, sender refuses the bounce notification or accepts it and drops it on the floor (neither of which they should do). The email would appear to have disappeared w/in Comcast's network when, in reality, it did not. (Lacking cooperation from Comcast's mail admins, where busy servers are involved, determining this is happening can be neigh impossible, due to the relative impossibility of relating bounced outgoing email with [delayed] bounce notifications.)

Executive summary: Email delivery is not reliable, and the non-delivery notification mechanisms are no better. This is primarily due to three things: Email abuse creating a hostile environment, poorly-written software, and incompetent email admins.

Jim

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid

Yeah that's what I figured - thanks for the input and thoughts; just wanted to get a second opinion so to speak. I will stress to the client what you mentioned.

Thanks!

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to NyQuil Kid

Premium Member

to NyQuil Kid
May be of some helpful information for the system admin

»customer.comcast.com/Pag ··· ES000001

This as well;

»www.comcastsupport.com/F ··· ider.asp

If the sys admin does determine that it is being blocked by comcast, then these are the channels needed to get the issue corrected or resolved.

Hope this helps.