Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LeftOfSanity
People Suck.

join:2005-11-06
Dover, DE

2 recommendations

Comcast now offers Norton instead of Mcafee.

»security.comcast.net/

They changed their offering. just found this.

inferno4

join:2008-07-06

2 edits
Good, Mcafee was complete garbage. Only way to get rid of it was to reformat my computer, will never use Mcafee in the future... I still will only use Avast as its free and it has been working great for years now.

Avast ftw!

Master Wolfe

join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to LeftOfSanity
Yuck. I used to love Norton's products back in the day, but every time I've tried them over the last 5 or so years, they've sucked. Don't load, multiple updates to even make an attempt at getting it to work, etc. etc.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LeftOfSanity
hmm..

I see no details or what version(s) it is.. nothing like it on the Symantec site that I could find..

So where would we find these little details.. I'm hoping to save me some $$ renewing my current Norton apps by using Comcast's free keys.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LeftOfSanity
Great find OP.

I was never happy with their McAfee offering.

I have used Symantec security for several years (currently using NIS 2010) and, while it was bloatware for awhile (2006 was especially bad), in the past few years they have totally revamped their offerings and I now highly recommend them.

Have been using NIS 2010 for a few months now with absolutely no problem.

I am glad to see Comcast making this change.

Master Wolfe

Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Master Wolfe
said by Master Wolfe:

Yuck. I used to love Norton's products back in the day, but every time I've tried them over the last 5 or so years, they've sucked. Don't load, multiple updates to even make an attempt at getting it to work, etc. etc.
Having said that, I could not resist giving it a shot. And, so far so good. Their downloader app leads you through uninstalling McAfee and Norton installed with no issues so far. It didn't appear to be updating automatically, however, and rather than wait to see if it did, I pushed it through.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Master Wolfe:

Having said that, I could not resist giving it a shot. And, so far so good. Their downloader app leads you through uninstalling McAfee and Norton installed with no issues so far. It didn't appear to be updating automatically, however, and rather than wait to see if it did, I pushed it through.
What version is it?

Master Wolfe

Panama City, FL

1 edit
360? Does that sound right? No "About" on the sys tray icon.

Norton Security Suite is all it says in the Program Menu

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to LeftOfSanity
I just got off a chat with Norton support and the rep says its a modded version of Norton 360. (yuk)

Not the best offering from Norton as compared to NAV/NIS2010 but way better then McCrapFee

P.S. no 360 online backup is offered in Comcast's version.. has the rest of 360's apps / protections.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Master Wolfe
said by Master Wolfe:

Yes, 360 is certainly one of Symantec's offerings. I use Norton Internet Security 2010 and am not familiar with how 360 differs from NIS. Still, as pokesph See Profile said, I am sure it is better than McAfee.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to LeftOfSanity
Norton 360 is actually Norton's top-end security suite so Comcast is giving you a lot by letting you download that application. I may put the app on my laptop..have AVG on there right now but Norton won't hurt one bit. They've gotten MUCH more streamlined over the past year or two, so I wouldn't think twice about loading the app up.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
reply to LeftOfSanity
360 is at Version 3 now. Surely they're using the latest one. FWIW 360 is the highest priced Norton A/V solution. $10.00 more than NIS.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Bravo for CC !! This is indeed a good move IMO !!!

Say good riddance to CRAPa-free !!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to inferno4
Had no issues with McAfee on Vista or XP; I switched to MSE for performance reasons (and that it is compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate x64, which McAfee at the time was not). Since then, I am recommending MSE for any Windows PC with XP or later.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
moving soon
kudos:3

Re: Comcast now offers Norton instead of Mcafee.

IMO McAfee was faster, and less annoying than Norton.

Its been a while, so Norton may be worth a new look.

I wonder ... how long McAfee installs are good for?

Master Wolfe

Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Oregonian

said by Oregonian:

said by Master Wolfe:

Yes, 360 is certainly one of Symantec's offerings. I use Norton Internet Security 2010 and am not familiar with how 360 differs from NIS. Still, as pokesph See Profile said, I am sure it is better than McAfee.
Here's a page with a comprehensive comparison to their Premier Suite.
»security.comcast.net/norton/resi···d=33_232

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Master Wolfe:

said by Oregonian:

said by Master Wolfe:

Here's a page with a comprehensive comparison to their Premier Suite.
»security.comcast.net/norton/resi···d=33_232
Looks pretty impressive. I just renewed my NIS 2010 subscription or I would jump on this right away. Will definitely do it next year when my subscription expires.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to usa2k

said by usa2k:

Its been a while, so Norton may be worth a new look.
IMO, Norton got back in to the game with their improvements starting with their 2009 product.

cracker 52

join:2007-01-23
Atlanta, GA
reply to Oregonian

You may want to check and see if you can cancel. Many subscription services allow cancellation with no early termination charge within a certain period after sign-up/renewal.

Oregonian
Premium
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
Thanks for the suggestion but I renewed using a boxed copy I got at Costco. The price was pretty good after a coupon they were offering. I doubt I can still return it to Costco for a refund so will go ahead and use it this year then make the switch when my subscription expires next year.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to EG

said by EG:

IMO, Norton got back in to the game with their improvements starting with their 2009 product.
This statement couldn't be more true. They had some years of bloat but they really got it together.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid

join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ
reply to LeftOfSanity

Does anyone know if this means the McAfee product will no longer update properly? Does the switch page offered by Comcast mean customers MUST switch or is it merely being offered if the customer wants to do it?

Thanks.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid
--
[8F] The NyQuil Kid comes into town not looking for trouble...n00bz gang up, but he ain't seein' double,...pulls and draws, his deagles two...n00bz litter the ground you know it's true.

watchingeye

@comcast.net
reply to LeftOfSanity
I just updated to NAV 2010 and LOVE IT! Works great, loads fast and not a lot of drag on the system. And NO I don't work for symantec.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to LeftOfSanity
I guess it just goes to show just how much improved Norton has become now.

Used to be for a while that the saying went "friends don't let friends use Norton", and so on. But the reviews on their newest antivirus and suites have been little short of stellar.
--
Front Line Force Fortress Forever

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to LeftOfSanity

I stick with the Microsoft Security Essentials & MS Firewall

I stick with the Microsoft Security Essentials & MS Firewall. They are fast; update automatically; and are highly rated by independent reviewers.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:3
reply to LeftOfSanity

Oh and there's a Mac version too now...
--
JL
Comcast

MM Blues

join:2001-10-27
Hightstown, NJ
reply to FFH5

Re: I stick with the Microsoft Security Essentials & MS Firewall

said by FFH5:

I stick with the Microsoft Security Essentials & MS Firewall. They are fast; update automatically; and are highly rated by independent reviewers.
I agree with TKJM. After years of using AVAST & ZA, I switched to MSE + MS Firewall. Small footprint, almost daily updating and perfect compatibility with Windows. What more can you ask for? Oh, did I mention that it is free?

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:24
reply to LeftOfSanity

Yay! Thanks for the news!

--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

MTBikerChris
Premium
join:2001-08-28
Broomfield, CO
Just found this for back up. 2 gigs is not alot !!

»security.comcast.net/backup/details/

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to LeftOfSanity
What is wrong with the standard Windows firewall and something like Microsoft Security Essentials? Both are free. The firewall is built-in (unless you are running an ancient version of Windows), and MSE has generally good reviews and appears to be resource light.