88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Underplay

to Underplay

Re: Usenet + Encryption / Private BitTorrent

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
So freedom is not paying for stuff you should? Please go to work and tell your boss you will now work for free so their customers can get free shit. Of course I am assuming you actually have a job.
Expand your moderator at work
zipjay
join:2003-03-11
South Williamson, KY

2 recommendations

zipjay to 88615298

to 88615298

when you get right down to it... this country was made possibly by forcing black people to build it for us for free
jcp
join:2002-04-12
Hopewell, VA
ARRIS S33
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

1 edit

jcp

the civil war was over in 1865, black people have been free since to do as they please. no one forced them to lay fiber in the ground let alone build this country from what it was almost 150 years ago. so that really is kinda a moot point in this conversation

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
So freedom is not paying for stuff you should? Please go to work and tell your boss you will now work for free so their customers can get free shit. Of course I am assuming you actually have a job.
P2P != piracy.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

That is true but has anyone gotten a DMCA warning for legal P2P? I'm sure a few people have gotten them mistakenly, but by far the majority of warning letters have been for illegally distributing copyrighted material.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Gbcue

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
P2P != piracy.
Did I say that? No. But downloading a torrent of movie is. Yes yes no one ever pirates movies, music and TV shows. All people do on p2p is download ISOs of Linux.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue

Premium Member

said by 88615298:

Did I say that? No. But downloading a torrent of movie is. Yes yes no one ever pirates movies, music and TV shows. All people do on p2p is download ISOs of Linux.
Downloading a .torrent file is not illegal.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

If it's not supposed to be copied around, it is.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:
said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
So freedom is not paying for stuff you should?
Nope. It's paying for stuff and then actually having a say in how you use it. It's like trying to bring balance back between corporate and consumer interests, instead of having it tilted all the way over to their end.
KrK

KrK to zipjay

Premium Member

to zipjay
said by zipjay:

when you get right down to it... this country was made possibly by forcing black people to build it for us for free
Really. Nice history /fail.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Gbcue

to Gbcue
said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

Reading a book on how to rob a bank isn't illegal either.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by 88615298:
said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
So freedom is not paying for stuff you should?
Nope. It's paying for stuff and then actually having a say in how you use it. It's like trying to bring balance back between corporate and consumer interests, instead of having it tilted all the way over to their end.
I'd wager that a majority of the people who are talking about freedom, P2P and peerguardian, didn't buy anything they are talking about.

Z80A
Premium Member
join:2009-11-23

Z80A to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

said by Gbcue:

said by 88615298:

Reading a book on how to rob a bank isn't illegal either.
Yet the RIAA sues to try and close the library.

fifty nine
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

That's a different issue. I am actually opposed to them shutting down torrent sites.
Underplay
join:2003-10-19
Tacoma, WA

1 recommendation

Underplay to 88615298

to 88615298

People still watch TV?

said by 88615298:

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
Actually yea I do have a job, that is legal as well, and I'm self employed, no boss here. Oh yea, I'm also a programmer. What are you trying to proof? Im downloading a 4.3 GB file through usenet's 256bit encryption and there aint shit nobody can do about it because it's my right. What you people don't get is that you cant stop evolution, you can only slow it down, obviously your brainwashed into thinking sharing virtual information that has no phsyical value is illegal, you probably also support the DEA and the war on drugs aswell dont you.

I can't wait for all the old people and there old views to just die out.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender to Z80A

Premium Member

to Z80A

said by Z80A:

Yet the RIAA sues to try and close the library.
There are libraries with millions of fictional and nonfictional materials, many of which are educational.

Then there are libraries whose purpose, 99.9% of the time, is to index where to find copyrighted material to obtain freely.

There's a difference. It's a loophole in the law that is getting closer to closed every year.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

4 edits

Metatron2008 to Underplay

Premium Member

to Underplay

Re: People still watch TV?

said by Underplay:

said by 88615298:

said by Underplay:

They can't stop freedom
Actually yea I do have a job, that is legal as well, and I'm self employed, no boss here. Oh yea, I'm also a programmer. What are you trying to proof? Im downloading a 4.3 GB file through usenet's 256bit encryption and there aint shit nobody can do about it because it's my right. What you people don't get is that you cant stop evolution, you can only slow it down, obviously your brainwashed into thinking sharing virtual information that has no phsyical value is illegal, you probably also support the DEA and the war on drugs aswell dont you.

I can't wait for all the old people and there old views to just die out.
Bullshit. And if by some chance all of that is correct, then I assume you don't mind if other people steal your work and never pay for it, putting you on the street?

You are either lying or a fool who doesn't understand how life works.

Anybody who is self employed and has even AN IDEA of how bills work wouldn't be messing around with putting bread on the table. Esp. not in this economy.

Btw, it's 'prove', not proof. Not to mention the countless other spelling errors. What software do you make by chance? Hacks modifications for games, Stuff on /b/ in your parents basement? Because a person with your ability to type wouldn't be able to sell anything reasonable.
bsoft
join:2004-03-28
Boulder, CO

bsoft to 88615298

to 88615298

Freedom is the right to defend yourself, including the right to a trial (in most instances) if you are accused of breaking the law.

Yes, Verizon is a private company, and yes, they can cut you off for practically any reason (the TOS you agreed to says so). Verizon is acting fully within the law.

However, there's something profoundly un-free about the fact that powerful media organizations with no oversight (the RIAA and MPAA, among others) now apparently have the ability to get your Internet service cut off.

It's one thing to sue people who are pirating movies or music. It may not be the best PR or business move, and I don't agree with the exorbitant damages, but it least it gives the accused a chance to defend themselves.

The "new" process, where your ISP cuts you off, doesn't give you the chance to invoke discovery to research the process used to evidence against you, it doesn't give you the chance to call expert witnesses that might be able to exonerate you, and it doesn't give you the chance to have your case heard by a jury of your peers.

Verizon basically is saying that they can be judge, jury, and executioner. Legally, they are well within their rights.

Does it infringe on your freedom? Absolutely. It infringes on your right to due process.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to zipjay

Premium Member

to zipjay
Don't forget their own sold them into slavery...

Hangmn
Don't Fight It...It's Inevitable
Premium Member
join:2000-04-08
Philadelphia, PA

Hangmn to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Hello McFly....The American public just got RAPED by wall street..why is the PUBLIC only has to play by the RULES???
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to zipjay

to zipjay
said by zipjay:

LOL, that has got to be one of the stupidest things ever said on this forum.

XBL2009
------
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

XBL2009 to jcp

to jcp
said by jcp:

the civil war was over in 1865, black people have been free since to do as they please. no one forced them to lay fiber in the ground let alone build this country from what it was almost 150 years ago. so that really is kinda a moot point in this conversation
Slavery really didn't end until 1964 with the civil rights bill.
jcp
join:2002-04-12
Hopewell, VA
ARRIS S33
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

jcp

said by XBL2009:

said by jcp:

Slavery really didn't end until 1964 with the civil rights bill.
oh i wasn't aware we forced african americans to work for us for free. i believe if i remember my middle school history correctly slavery was abolished in 1865, granted they may have not had the same rights.. but i'm pretty sure they were not forced to work. i'm also fairly sure if they weren't satisfied with what they were doing or where they were they were free to relocate somewhere else...
fldiver
Premium Member
join:1999-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

fldiver to Underplay

Premium Member

to Underplay

Let's also not forget boys and girls that corporations have broke the public trust by extending these copyrights to ridiculous lengths of time to "protect their revenue stream". Please educate yourselves before you start spouting inaccurate information. P2P can be used for many legal purposes, and if you think someone is automatically guilty before they are charged in front of a jury of their peers you didn't read the constitution very carefully.
butchevans
Premium Member
join:2007-01-15
Malden, MO

butchevans to bsoft

Premium Member

to bsoft

said by bsoft See Profile
Verizon basically is saying that they can be judge, jury, and executioner. Legally, they are well within their rights.

Does it infringe on your freedom? Absolutely. It infringes on your right to due process.
[/BQUOTE :

What freedom is infringed upon? It is THEIR network. You are paying them for access. If you paid ME for access to MY network, I am obligated to permit you access as long as:
1. You continued to pay
AND
2. I accepted the money.

As soon as I decide to no longer accept your money, I am no longer obligated to permit you access. After all, it is MY RIGHT as the owner of the network to determine who I will sell to. I may decide I don't like people who use a name like "bsoft", and use that as a basis. It is NOT discrimination, it is a choice on my part whether to serve you or not.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by butchevans:

As soon as I decide to no longer accept your money, I am no longer obligated to permit you access. After all, it is MY RIGHT as the owner of the network to determine who I will sell to. I may decide I don't like people who use a name like "bsoft", and use that as a basis. It is NOT discrimination, it is a choice on my part whether to serve you or not.
Well, the gov't doesn't subscribe to your philosophy anymore. Remember stores with signs that said " We have the right to refuse service to anyone". Well now that is against the law based on race, religion, sexual orientation, physical handicap, etc.
butchevans
Premium Member
join:2007-01-15
Malden, MO

butchevans

Premium Member

said by FFH5:

Well, the gov't doesn't subscribe to your philosophy anymore. Remember stores with signs that said " We have the right to refuse service to anyone". Well now that is against the law based on race, religion, sexual orientation, physical handicap, etc.
I used the example based on dislike of a name. I don't think race or religion came into it. Either way, as a network operator, I HAVE chosen to refuse service in the past. I have done so as a consultant as well. Until I accept money, I am not obligated to provide service. It's the main reason I chose NOT to participate in the money grab that is called an "economic stimulus". It will be the government's network too soon for my taste anyway.
dgoner
Premium Member
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN

dgoner to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

Bullshit. And if by some chance all of that is correct, then I assume you don't mind if other people steal your work and never pay for it, putting you on the street?

You are either lying or a fool who doesn't understand how life works.

Anybody who is self employed and has even AN IDEA of how bills work wouldn't be messing around with putting bread on the table. Esp. not in this economy.

Btw, it's 'prove', not proof. Not to mention the countless other spelling errors. What software do you make by chance? Hacks modifications for games, Stuff on /b/ in your parents basement? Because a person with your ability to type wouldn't be able to sell anything reasonable.
So Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and Tom Cruise have been thrown out on the street? Why didn't someone tell me such horrible atrocity was going on. KILL THE INTERNET NOW!

Let's face it this is about huge corporations trying to protect an ever GROWING empire. This has nothing to do with people being thrown out onto the street because they can't get paid. Sensationalism to the extreme on the part of the MPAA, RIAA, and all who sympathise with them.