Search similar:

uniqs

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Pakapab

to Pakapab

Re: Starband Vs Hughesnet

Can anyone that has Starband take a picture of your dish setup and post it here?

I am assuming that the Starband dish would be alot bigger than then Hughes HN9000 dish?

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Sure Ill get a pic to you this afternoon, but be warned I work out of the Caribbean, so yes our dishes are bigger. A 1.2 meter antenna (instead of the .75E antenna used in the continental U.S.).

If I recall Hughesnet uses the .75E antenna also. Although the bigger the dish, the better reception you will get and less rain/snow fade.
badbear2000
join:2010-03-25
Mckenzie, TN

badbear2000 to Pakapab

to Pakapab
I am a Starband installer living near St Marc, Haiti. I am using an 8' dish with the standard transmitter. I realized if I used the smaller dish, I would need to use the 2 watt transmitter. I have a good signal and for the most part my internet works very well, but I have a problem with magic jack. Sometimes it works great but most of the time I can hear well but the other end cannot hear me.
I do have the 1500 which is suppose to be 1.5mb down and 256kb up. I sometimes get as high as 2mb down but have never gotten over 150kb up. However most of the time the up load is around 70kb and my download is around 600kb. My latency will vary from 300 to 600.
Does anyone think using the standard dish from Channel Master recommended by Starband with the 2 watt transmitter be better. When I check the signal I get with my 8' dish it is very high.

Pakapab
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Cap Haitien

Pakapab

Premium Member

Mj dosent work very well with vsat. Nothing you can really do to get it to work well sorry. In terms of speeds, and consistency... you need to be sure that the antenna xpoll and asi is as low as possible. So call CVACS and run a cw test. If your xpoll and asi are high then you need to tweak your dish a little.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to badbear2000

to badbear2000
said by badbear2000:

I have a problem with magic jack. Sometimes it works great but most of the time I can hear well but the other end cannot hear me.
I'm guessing you did not read the fine print before buying into that MagicJack scam: see »service.liveperson.net/h ··· ion=view

//greg//
badbear2000
Mckenzie, TN

badbear2000

I have had magic jack for over a year. I used it like a cell phone with my little notebook and a head set. When I purchase it with intention of bringing it to Haiti there was no mention of it will not work with satellite. No big deal. Some times it does work great. Anybody know anything that works better on satellite

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

said by badbear2000:

Anybody know anything that works better on satellite
None work well, simply because of the inherent lag. Otherwise, hardware-based VoIP provides more consistently acceptable quality. Of those software-based, take extreme care to a provider who guarantees that they can modify THEIR end of YOUR connection to help combat the effects of latency. MagicJack does not belong to the latter group.

You might browse the DataStorm users forum for specific examples. The mobile satellite internet crowd is big into VoIP.

//greg//
badbear2000
Mckenzie, TN

badbear2000

thanks