share rss forum feed

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Returning an item to RadioShack

I bought a Radio Scanner last night that was on clearance from RadioShack unfournately while it does support the frequencies I wanted, I can't set any PL/Subtones so it's useless to me. My question is, can I return the item to RadioShack? I didn't see anything on the receipt about it and I wasn't told that it was a final sale or something like that.
--
Join the BBR MLB 2K7 League
The internet is a series of tubes..

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 recommendation

I would try. There may have been a sign you missed, though. And returns are always at a store or manager's discretion, whether or not there is a sign. Most locales do not have a law mandating that a return be accepted if there is no "final sale" notification.

Generally, chains like the Shack have a chain-wide written policy and allow returns for merchandise for which you have the box and all documents and the item can either still be sold as new or has a manufacturing defect, within a reasonable time limit such as seven to 30 days, unless it's marked "final sale". A credit card chargeback remains a last-resort option to force a return, but try to work it out.

They may not be happy to see you though, since it is a clearance item. They will probably try to upsell you to a radio that does what you want, so know your price point before you go. At the Shack's regular price, it's probably not a match for you.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to Julio

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
We want you to be fully satisfied with every item that you purchase from RadioShack.com. If you are not satisfied with an item that you have purchased, you may return the item within 30 days of delivery for a full refund of the purchase price, minus the shipping, handling or other additional charges.
The item must be returned in good condition, in original boxes, and with all paperwork, parts and accessories to ensure full credit. Please see our Return Rules and Restrictions and Return Exceptions before returning your item.
Also check this out, though it may have changed: »consumerist.com/2008/05/a-radio-···rns.html
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Julio

Thanks. I will give it a try after work.

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
reply to Julio

What did you buy?

I find it odd that any scanner you buy today doesn't have the ability to program in PL tones.
--
My Blog 2.0

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by Gbcue:

What did you buy?

I find it odd that any scanner you buy today doesn't have the ability to program in PL tones.
I bought the PRO-135.
»wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Pro-135
--

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Woah, that's quite old.

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC

1 edit
reply to Julio

OK, they're not going to be thrilled, since it's really old.

...but maybe they'll offer you a reduced price on one that does what you need.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

Woah, that's quite old.
The box was still new, except the tab to keep it closed was missing.
@runnoft: After looking at their website, I think the only radio they have that will support trunking/PL tones is the PRO-164 and that would be a hundred dollars more than what I spent. Not sure about the PRO-137 but the PRO-404 I know doesn't support PL tones.
--

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC

I don't doubt that the box is new and the merchandise unused. It's probably sat on their shelf or in their backroom for years and that's why it was on the clearance table.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to Julio

I would prefer to simply return it for my money back but if all fails I will see if I can get it exchanged for the PRO-164 or some store credit.
--

runnoft
Premium
Nags Head, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Julio

Good plan. Wishing you success.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11

2 edits
reply to Julio

said by Julio:

I bought a Radio Scanner last night that was on clearance from RadioShack
IN GENERAL CLEARANCE ITEMS ARE NON-RETURNABLE.
But you can try!

If they don't take it back resell it on either Ebay or Amazon!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

2 edits
reply to Gbcue

nm
Don't see second post about it being old.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

said by Julio:

I bought a Radio Scanner last night that was on clearance from RadioShack unfournately while it does support the frequencies I wanted, I can't set any PL/Subtones so it's useless to me. My question is, can I return the item to RadioShack? I didn't see anything on the receipt about it and I wasn't told that it was a final sale or something like that.
that was on clearance from RadioShack - IN GENERAL CLEARANCE ITEMS ARE NON-RETURNABLE.
But you can try!

If they don't take it back resell it on either Ebay or Amazon!
They didn't tell me it was on final sale. Maybe I can use that to my advantage? There was no sticker on the box about it being clearance either, same with the receipt.
--

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4

1 recommendation

If the receipt has the terms of return on it, and it doesn't explicitly say that you cannot return that item, I see no reason why you can't return it.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

1 edit
reply to Julio

It said it was a clearance item when you bought it (clearance generally means final sale in most stores).
But, as I said in my post you can try to return it, but don't be disappointed if they don't accept it back.
And if they don't take it back you have other opinions to get your money back.

You have a link to the sale?

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by The Pig:

It said it was a clearance item when you bought it (clearance generally means final sale in most stores).
But, as I said in my post you can try to return it, but don't be disappointed if they don't accept it back.
And if they don't take it back you have other opinions to get your money back.

You have a link to the sale?
I'm guessing it is a in-store clearance sale because the device is not even listed on the website. I was going to pick up the PRO-404 which still wouldn't have worked for me from what I checked but I saw the PRO-135 and picked that up instead. I mean I'm sorta to blame for my current predicament since I should have researched into the feed I was planning on listening in on before I bought it.
--

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Julio

Success! I was able to return it. Lady asked me why I was returning it, I explained why, she looked at the device put it back and gave me back my money. Also, it was the same hot lady from yesterday so I got some extra eye candy to boot!
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX

1 edit
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

Woah, that's quite old.
Not really....

Relatively few scanners decode CTCSS

Only the high end ones do.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Julio

So what are you going to get?

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

said by Subaru:

So what are you going to get?
Whatever can do PL and is the cheapest.
--

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
reply to Julio

I have not purchased anything from RS in many years but unless things have changed, their return policy is printed on the back of your receipt, "usually" clearance items are not returnable for that reason(doesn't fit need).
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Julio

I guess I got lucky then.

XPAMD
Premium
join:2002-06-08
united state
reply to Julio

I would recommend you get the GRECOM PSR 500 it includes the Data Transfer cable, and power supply(unlike RS). It's exactly the same as the RS Pro 106 as GRECOM makes all the most recent RS scanner models.

It's price has dropped below $500. Expensive, yes. But worth in IMHO.
»wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/PSR-500

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

only because of APCO-25 they have to pay royalties.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Julio

Well I ended up getting the RadioShack PRO-164.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

damn I wanted to beat you to it.

CoolBlue87GT

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

reply to 61999674

said by 61999674:

... "usually" clearance items are not returnable for that reason
No no no, That is not correct. Don't know why people think that.

All product purchases are returnable w/in 30 day period. Just keep the packaging, and return it in new condition.

Only "Air time" is not returnable for pre-paid cell phones, (due to the rules the carriers have)

I've been with the Shack for 11 years, there have never been any "no return" products since I started.

Glad you got the Pro-164, a very good scanner.

Julio
Bachatero y Que?
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Julio

So far no problems with it. I bought the USB Data Transfer cable for it. Sooo much easier programming it like that instead of doing it manually, so many keypad presses to do it.
--