spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elRey

join:2010-01-22

[Speed] What is the highest speed a D2 BEFCMU10 can be provision

I know 22/5 and 50/10 require a D3 modem to realize full speed, BUT....

If I pay for 22/5 and want to see how fast my BEFCMU10 v4 can be, can Comcast provision it to 24200/5500?

Do they even have a config file for it that high?

Thanks,
Rey

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

Re: [Speed] What is the highest speed a D2 BEFCMU10 can be provi

comcast has configs for the tiers they offer....they dont have custom made configs for whatever speed you want....

elRey

I want a 22/5 config. That's a tier they offer, right?

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to elRey

It would automatically do 16 i believe.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1
reply to elRey

According to SpeedGuide.net specs, the docsis2 compatible WAN throughput limits are 42/10, so if Comcast has the firmware approved for your modem, it should be able to get 22/5.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

but to expect to get that high of a percent of a single channel is unlikely

22/5 tierspeed
42/10 max speed (using 1 up and 1 down channel)
52%/50% so I wouldn't expect a D2 modem to get the full 22/5 hardly

now if you look at the percents on a d3 system
22/5
42per channels/30 per channel (based on wiki info)
say your lucky and have 4/1 channels
13%/16% = much more likely to actually get your speeds

elRey

said by DarkLogix:

Understood, but I'd still like to try.

So, I guess the question now is if Comcast has a 22/5 file for the befcmu10v4 or if a D3 file (befcmu10 specific or not) will work.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

2 edits

Why don't you try the upgrade and if it won't work to your satisfaction for any reason, revert to your existing plan. Or you could upgrade to a D3 modem provided your area's system is provisioned for such.

They should be able to tell you when you call in if you can upgrade with your existing hardware, or not.
(I don't think they will)
--

Dspairl
Premium
join:2004-06-09
Norwich, CT
reply to elRey

If i'm not mistaken when you call in and order a D3 speed tier the system automatically tells the CSR to schedule a tech visit to upgrade the equipment unless you have a D3 modem that you purchased and have the mac id and serial avail.

elRey

1 edit
reply to jack b

I upgraded service last night. Sales Rep allowed me to upgrade to D3 22/5 knowing I wanted to try my existing D2 modem and agreed that if it doesn't work out (speed wise or at all) I had the options of downgrading to 16/2 or I'd go out and buy the Linksys D3 modem.

I just don't want the tech responsible for configuring my modem to see that it's a D2 modem and automatically refuse D3 service. I hope to have the tech look and see if there is a 22/5 D2 file for the modem or even try a D3 file to see it it will take.

As of right now there has been no change in modem config or speed.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
Cape Cod

This "upgrade" should only require a config file push by Comcast, and not a truck roll.
Check your modem stats and note the existing file name, power off the modem and power it back on. If the upgrade "took", you should see a new file.
--

elRey

12/2 modem status

12/2 modem status

12/2 boost speed

12/2 files being downloaded
Click for full size
12/2/ sustained speed
unfortunately, the BEFCMU10 ver4 does not display the config file name, but does display provisioned rates up and down. I'have power cycled and reset the modem several times since last night. No change.

Current status in pics above. (how do I mix text and images?)

Dspairl
Premium
Norwich, CT

1 edit

just type between the pics It looks like the config file isn't loading on your modem, just wondering why you're not wanting to get a d3 modem, it would help with the overall speed/connection.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Dspairl:

just type between the pics It looks like the config file isn't loading on your modem, just wondering why you're not wanting to get a d3 modem, it would help with the overall speed/connection.
Ya
and due to how a d3 modem imporves bandwidth efficiency they really shouldn't offer to do 22/5 on a D2 modem because you'll be eating such a high percent of that channel it'll make it harder for them to service others

just go buy a SB6120 at your local bestbuy and have them provision that it'll be best for everyone

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to elRey

said by elRey:

said by DarkLogix:

Understood, but I'd still like to try.

So, I guess the question now is if Comcast has a 22/5 file for the befcmu10v4 or if a D3 file (befcmu10 specific or not) will work.
although a D2 modem can in theory do 22/5 its not a good idea

you can try but at somepoint a tech will see it and say wtf a D2 modem and D3 service er um no

elRey

reply to DarkLogix

I can appreciate the concern, but I'm not a bandwidth hog in the least. However, when I do use the internet I want it to be fast. As for the reason why I don't get a D3 modem from the start... my employer pays for my service (to a point), but not for a new modem.

Dspairl
Premium
Norwich, CT
reply to elRey

You could rent the modem and have your employer pick up the tab

elRey

1 edit

said by Dspairl:

You could rent the modem and have your employer pick up the tab
I can't argue with that point... except to say I'd rather own than rent (hence why I have my own modem now)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

the issue is if you use a D2 modem at 22/5 speeds it will be eating up that channel and thus hurting others on that channel

if your employer is paying for the service then just convince the accountant that it'll be cheaper to buy the modem rather than rent it

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to elRey

I am on the 16/2 and I have an arris tm602g modem I don't think u can get those speeds on D 1.x but mine since they upgraded this area shows D 2.0 and it boost to around 24.9/4.80 or so but as far as sustaining I am not sure but the upstream on single channel will not even boost those speeds

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

said by Jasonfn22:

I am not sure but the upstream on single channel will not even boost those speeds
W.I.W., CC doesn't yet have any "upstream" channel bonding implemented.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to elRey

Here are some links to similar previous discussions:

DOCSIS 3.0 Modems Required for DOCSIS 3.0 Tiers?
»Why is docsis 3 needed for 22mbps if 1 can handle up to 48?
»Modems Required for DOCSIS 3.0 Install - Braintree, MA
»Extreme for $85 a month? no new modem required?
»Is there an advantage to having a D3 modem for 22/5 Ultra Tier?
»22 Mbps Ultra - Do I need a DOCSIS 3 modem?

These and other links to possibly relevant discussions can be found in the first post of the DOCSIS 3 thread stickied at the top of the forum.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .