how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AntonyLingo

join:2009-10-28
Toronto

[General] Area Code 416 DIDs

What is the likelyhood of getting an area code 416 DID through a VOIP provider?

The alternate 647 DID is like the little red headed step brother no one wants.

Any ideas?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
647's pretty accepted these days; it's been out for a few years...

That said, VBuzzer is advertising having 416's available; but I don't know what they're like. I'm with VoIP.ms; but they only have 647's...

Thanks

otty

join:2008-10-24
Revelstoke, BC
I have a vbuzzer 416. Had it almost a year and not a single moment of downtime. Cheapest DIDs out there too. Now $25/year unlimited up from $20 unfortunately.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to AntonyLingo
VBuzzer's price just went up during the holidays, to minimum $10 / month (there's some discount if you pay in advance for a full year).
Sometimes you may find a 416 DID at freephoneline.ca (when it gets released from a customer that hasn't used the account much, or entered fake info during the signup) but you have to be extremely patient and keep searching.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to AntonyLingo
Voipo.com currently has one DID listed as available in 416

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
reply to AntonyLingo
Be sure to search this forum for recent posts about VBuzzer and read them carefully before you sign up.

It looks like DIDWW has 416 DIDs, though I've never used them. Callwithus has 416 DIDs through DIDx.

m.

AntonyLingo

join:2009-10-28
Toronto
reply to AntonyLingo
Once service is initiated, will these providers allow the DID to be ported?

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Callwithus will allow you to port out a purchased DID.

tiskettasket

@myvzw.com
reply to AntonyLingo
Iristel has a ton available.

Toollio

join:2003-11-17
Brazil/Cda

1 edit
I have found that most providers seem to have 416 available, although at times they disappear for a while. If a provider has only 647 this week, they may have 416 next week. However, as somebody else has pointed out, 647 is quite acceptable for Toronto-area numbers. It's been around long enough that everybody seems familiar with the area code.

Personally I'd rather go with a reputable provider and 647 than a problematic provider and 416.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 recommendation

reply to AntonyLingo
This thread is a mirror image of »Looking for a good NY number ... just the names and faces (and numbers) have changed.

It's interesting to note that all of you Toronto area folks are having a similar discussion regarding the pros and cons of having a DID with an old or new Toronto area code.

New York City's five boroughs originally all carried the 212 area code, considered throughout the world to represent a premium "address" (DID) for businesses. That was all changed when AC212 was restricted to the borough of Manhattan (which most folks know as NYC) ... with Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx being changed to AC718.

AC917 was originally meant for cellular numbers only ... within all five boroughs ... but this "rule" was eventually relaxed so AC917 is know used occasionally for non-cellular services in all five boroughs.

Meanwhile, NANPA added AC646 as a Manhattan-only overlay for AC212 ... while releasing AC347 as an overlay to the other four boroughs.

So the argument rages (in the BBR Forums and elsewhere) as to the desirability and prestige of AC212 over the newer Manhattan-only (NYC) AC646.

As an "old-timer" who recalls having to use "live operators" in a major NJ suburb of NYC in the 1940s ... before "dialing" was instituted ... I remember picking up the earpiece that hung on the "hook" on the side of the telephone "stalk", and talking into the microphone on the "stalk", asking the operator to "Give me Passaic 1234", just using the 4-digit number I wanted to reach. And I had to make sure that one of our neighbors on our "party line" (4 families to a line) was not using the phone when I wanted to make a call.

My point is that, as children and teens grow into young and middle-aged adults, they too will barely remember the "old days" (that is, the difference between original and overlayed area codes). We old adults have already forgotten the actual names that were used for exchanges before digital dialing replaced the rotary dial ... such as OXbow-6 that is now 696- and GRegory-3 that became 473- and MElrose-5 that morphed into 635-.

Prediction: 10 years from now nobody in Toronto or New York City will have any opinion one way or another about the benefits of AC416 vs. AC647 or AC212 vs. AC646 numbers.