FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Adertising practices is the FTC's responsibility

Why would the FCC get involved in the regulation of advertisements and billing practices? They can barely manage the technical aspects under their legislatively mandated responsibilities. They should leave advertising issues in the FTC where they belong and who has the legal authority to haul abusers in to court.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by FFH5:

They should leave advertising issues in the FTC where they belong and who has the legal authority to haul abusers in to court.
That position could be part of an either/or recommendation. The FCC is absolutely interested in transparency and delivery of the broadband offering.

I can't imagine the FTC getting involved in wireline telephone service billing issues. So why treat broadband differently? (Except that the FCC has had no great luck with either.)

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

That position could be part of an either/or recommendation. The FCC is absolutely interested in transparency and delivery of the broadband offering.
If they're so concerned with accuracy is speed and connection quality, extending that desire for transparency and truth in advertising to billing only makes sense...Since we're talking about billions in junk charges and lost revenue, it won't happen. Would be too disruptive to the people in charge (If I recall correctly, their names are "AT&T" and "Verizon").

jb50
@exxonmobil.com

jb50

Anon

FCC = Facade for Company Control

I bet you are right, they will never do anything to hurt their booty buddies.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by jb50 :

I bet you are right, they will never do anything to hurt their booty buddies.
Says Mr. Anon from Exxon Mobile.

While I would like to see unfees tackled, Ms. Clyburn has pleasantly surprised me. So far, she is willing to ask, what up until now, should have been routine questions. If she can spearhead at least getting providers to correct "up-to" and "best effort" advertising while simultaneously disclosing how they manage and shape traffic, that's a damn good start.

Next up? Promoting a competitive infrastructure. (Yeah, right.)
Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Sammer to FFH5

to FFH5

Re: Adertising practices is the FTC's responsibility

said by FFH5:

Why would the FCC get involved in the regulation of advertisements and billing practices?
Actually the FCC is the part of the federal government that allowed (promoted?) these below the line un-fees in the first place. Saying that it's the responsibility of the FTC is ignorant since the FCC has been involved in the regulation of these very billing practices for some time now.