Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

Getting unwanted magazines in the mail(DID NOT subscribe to)

DID NOT subscribe to them

how do i STOP them?

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Anonymous_:

how do i STOP them?
Call them.
--
My Blog 2.0

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to Anonymous_

Why stop them? Free Mags ??

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Anonymous_

Check your credit card bills. this happened to a neighbor of mine and he found out that his credit card company signed him up for several subscriptions. It was one of those "return this letter checked no" deals where he failed to respond to a letter that sent a trial issue with automatic subscriptions to follow if he did not opt out. He threw the letter away as junk mail.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

said by bkjohnson:

Check your credit card bills. this happened to a neighbor of mine and he found out that his credit card company signed him up for several subscriptions. It was one of those "return this letter checked no" deals where he failed to respond to a letter that sent a trial issue with automatic subscriptions to follow if he did not opt out. He threw the letter away as junk mail.
i check the account but it did not have my email on it it had some other e-mail

it was softp0rn

right now outside it's Snowing raining and the sun is out
--
"Roll Over, Get Tough"
has been changed to

"Get Greedy and have the Customer Bend Over"

bkjohnson
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Birmingham, AL

His letter was USPS snail mail.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA
reply to Gbcue

said by Gbcue:

said by Anonymous_:

how do i STOP them?
Call them.
Who woulda thought?
--
Simbaaaaa...

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
reply to Anonymous_

Recycle bin is the best way.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

2 recommendations

Use them to hit biting dogs.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

said by Warzau:

Use them to hit biting dogs.
Yep. You can bundle em up and bench press em. End up looking like this guy. He's crazy ripped.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV

2 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_

When my wife was pregnant, we shopped at "Motherhood Maternity" in our local mall, and just by swiping your card to pay for your items, you're automatically signed up for Parenthood magazine, billed to the same card you swiped. You have until you receive the second issue to cancel the crap. I think that should be illegal.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

1 recommendation

said by nnaarrnn:

When my wife was pregnant, we shopped at "Motherhood Maternity" in our local mall, and just by swiping your card to pay for your items, you're automatically signed up for Parenthood magazine, billed to the same card you swiped. You have until you receive the second issue to cancel the crap. I think that should be illegal.
Fill out a report to your attorney general.
--
Some people are like slinkies - not really good for much.
But they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

nnaarrnn

join:2004-09-30
Nitro, WV

It's been almost 2 years since that happened, and we caught it when we received the first magazine. We were like "why the hell did we get this?!?!?!?" and cancelled. But others might not have been so lucky to notice. It's just one more reason to pay cash, and take the banks (at least partly) out of the transaction.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nnaarrnn

said by nnaarrnn:

i checked my credit card statements and found nothing
--
"Roll Over, Get Tough"
has been changed to

"Get Greedy and have the Customer Bend Over"
Expand your moderator at work

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Anonymous_

Re: Getting unwanted magazines in the mail(DID NOT subscribe to)

said by Anonymous_:

how do i STOP them?
Good luck. I tried and just gave up after awhile.

I still get them and are NOT being charged for them.

I have documentation from their companies saying I owe nothing and yet....I get magazines from them and any sister companies that they own

I just throw them in the trash now. Not a biggie

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
join:2001-12-05
CT
reply to Anonymous_

I was told once that you have to cut out your address label with bar code and paste on back of post card. Return to them and write cancel on it.

Chevygal

join:2004-09-04
Canton, OH

When my deceased father started getting a magazine shortly after his death, I wrote the magazine and asked them how it was paid for or if it was a gift from a friend. I thought I may have forgotten to call one of his friends. They gave me a 800 number for the distributor and they told me that it was being sent as a promotion for one year. I am still getting it and passing it on to someone who enjoys it.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
reply to Anonymous_

Isn't it it odd how if something is free, no one wants it?

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Anonymous_

A colleague I work with gets about 5 subscriptions to magazines he never signed up for. It's quite funny actually seeing his mail box filled with Ebony, Horse Illustrated, Latino, American Cheerleader and couple others. He just tosses them into the trash.

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA

4 edits
reply to Anonymous_

See here: This was the opening salvo one day by my contracts professor in my first year of law school. Of course this applies only in California--not sure of the status in other states. However, as a practical matter, as others have suggested unequivocal communication with the publisher that you didn't order these and don't want them is probably your best bet. You should cite the B & P Code mentioned here if you're in California or research the law for your state if you're elsewhere.

Prizes Business and Professions Code sections 17537(a), (c); Civil Code section 1584.5

It is unlawful for a business to send you a product or service that you did not order or request, if it is sent with the intention of selling it or another product or service to you. If a seller violates this law, you do not have to pay for the item or items that were sent. In this situation, you may consider the product or service to be an unconditional gift.
--
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows . . . . " -Bob Dylan

Tuxified
Premium
join:2009-01-04

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

I had this happen to me once before, a quick call to the postmaster revealed that not only do I have no legal obligation whatsoever to pay for any materials I didn't order, but also I am not required to return them.

Report it to your local post office, and if they attempt to bill you in any way, thank them for the free gifts with the blessings of the postmaster.
--
If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it...would my opinion still be wrong?

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

it was softp0rn
Forward them to me?

i1me2ao
Premium
join:2001-03-03
TEXAS

1 recommendation

reply to Anonymous_

you may have made someone mad. go to wlamart or books a million and fill the subrscrtion out and send to enemy. it will take forever to resolve..
--
calling a illegal alien undocumented is like calling a drug dealer a undocumented pharmacist

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to Anonymous_

I believe Best Buy was doing that -- covertly signing folks up to mags like Newsweek & Entertainment Weekly when they used a debit/credit card.

Reminded me of the last time I made a roughly $100 purchase there. I pulled out cash & the cashier lady tries to convince me to use a card. I'm like, "is cash no longer accepted here?"
--
It is said that every man has two smiles: one horizontal, the other vertical!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to MrMoody

said by MrMoody:

Isn't it it odd how if something is free, no one wants it?
i got EGM,PSM free subscriptions when I renewed my membership card at the game store

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to Anonymous_

what are the magazines?