spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

3 edits

inferno4

Should I buy a SB6120?

I live in Mississippi, I think we still have Docsis 1.1 (suppose to be getting 2.x in a few months, yea its pathetic)

I had to get my modem replaced a few months ago, I actually had an engineer come to my house as the old modem was downloading updates every 5 minutes and would randomly restart. He replaced it with a SB5120, he told me that the Docsis 3.x modems were not supported in my area.

If I was to buy one, would I see any increase in speed? Do the Docsis 3.x modems work in a Docsis 1.1 area?

Thanks.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

1 edit

djdanska

Premium Member

I always thought that if i was going to get a new piece of equipment or something, i get something that will last for a while. Even if you don't plan on getting any faster speeds now, you may a couple years down the road. These modems don't usually die quickly. I would spend the extra little bit and get something failsafe. Besides, when docsis 3 does get in your area, in theory your download speeds might be a bit more stable. When one download channel is full, it should use another channel to help. Less chance of slow speeds due to comcast congestion. (I thought this was the case, if wrong, someone please tell me.) I do hear people getting pretty good upload speeds too.

edit: And yes, it will work in your area. It will default to whatever they are using in that area. Now, for the foreseeable future.

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

1 edit

inferno4

But does the Docsis 3.0 modems work for Docsis 1.1?

Edit, see your edit :P

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by inferno4:

But does the Docsis 3.0 modems work for Docsis 1.1?
Yes, it is a docsis modem. It will work fine.
Thade
join:2009-12-16
Orlando, FL

Thade to inferno4

to inferno4
Yes, the Docsis 3.0 modems are backwards compatible with Docsis 1.1-2.0

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to inferno4

MVM

to inferno4
A D3 modem will work in a D1.x or D2 area, as long as the correct config file is available. Odds are, if you are on Comcast, they have the correct files.

You may or may not see much speed difference. With my 5120, the latest firmware caused issues while uploading, where the modem would randomly reboot. This was when it was on a 5.120MSym/sec upstream rate. It was stable on 2.560MSym/sec. The 6120 has been stable even at the higher rate.