join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

1 edit

Gas stove orange flame

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Not normal right? most of the time it's fine and never burns like this but sometimes it does.

*edit seems like all the burners do this

dingo4
Premium
join:2009-02-08
I think they are getting too much air-mine are blue with yellowish tips

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
reply to Subaru
So, are you going to call the gas company or other qualified person to fix it?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by beck:

So, are you going to call the gas company or other qualified person to fix it?
Not really.. because by morning they are all normal again

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
I don't know but after seeing your photo I just took this one of mine.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by sailor:

I don't know but after seeing your photo I just took this one of mine.
Yes that's how it will be in the morning seems to happen in a year maybe 5 times.

some say low gas pressure not sure how true that is.. I know some fail to light with the spark but then later on it starts up instant.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to dingo4
said by dingo4:

»www.justanswer.com/questions/1sj ··· -on-bake

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to Subaru
If you are on natural gas it looks like impurities are getting stirred up in the gas supply piping, either due to high flow rates or flows changing direction due to system maintenance.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to sailor
said by sailor:

said by dingo4:

»www.justanswer.com/questions/1sj ··· -on-bake
and the guy on that forum is an expert????. YIPES! this is WRONG, an orange flame is caused by NOT ENOUGH air!!.. too much air will only make the flames pull away from the burner and if way too much, will extinguish the flames!!. they will STILL be blue!.

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru
in addition to my other post, what may be happening here is the gas regulator may be going bad, and the pressure went up, so there's not enough air for complete combustion. look at the size of those flames!. you can tell right off the pressure is too high.. orange flames signify incomplete combustion, which is dangerous because of the greatly increased CO produced, being that this is intermittant, it is NOT an air adjustment that is needed, as you have to loosen a screw and turn a cover to adjust the air, this is not happening by itself, get the gas company to check the regulator!.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Subaru
I'm not a NG expert by any means. I just looked at the gas co. website and it said that orange / yellow flame is a sign of combustion problems and should be serviced.
I was curious if your furnace / boiler or water heater do the same?
I've never seen NG burn yellow or orange. It's always blue.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Subaru
I hope you have a carbon monoxide detector!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Not normal right? most of the time it's fine and never burns like this but sometimes it does.

*edit seems like all the burners do this
i talked to the gas co about this some time ago

they say it's just dust /impurities

(dust has a way to get into anything!)
--
"Roll Over, Get Tough"
has been changed to

"Get Greedy and have the Customer Bend Over"

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru
Click for full size
and like I said the morning it would be back to normal and sure enough...

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Subaru
I can think of 3 possibilities:
a) too little air
b) some impurity (metal) that colors the light orange (i.e. sodium)
c) some impurity (hydrocarbon) with a longer chain and/or double or triple bond between some carbons that make the flame orange

You should be easily test for b) by salting your burners (!!) to see if you get the same color. I can't think of any sodium compound that would get there with the NG.
--
And the winner is:

nerdful1

join:2010-01-16
Scarborough, ME
Looks like not enough air. If 'impurities, I'd imagine it would be sparkles, not a constant orange.
Well at least you documented it with the gas co. so your next of kin can be compensated.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Subaru
Looks like you still have some good orange tips in there. If you do have other NG products in your house, take a look and make sure they are functioning ok.

I would also speak with the gas company to see if they can have someone out in the afternoon when this is happening to check the line pressure. Could be that with daytime demand that the pressure is dropping off.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by ropeguru:

Looks like you still have some good orange tips in there. If you do have other NG products in your house, take a look and make sure they are functioning ok.

I would also speak with the gas company to see if they can have someone out in the afternoon when this is happening to check the line pressure. Could be that with daytime demand that the pressure is dropping off.
It was not daytime it was taken around 10pm

I've seen weird stuff happen like only half of a single burning is lit.. it's almost like it's too much wind.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

TBD11

join:2009-05-06
reply to Subaru
It's a process called incomplete combustion, where there is not enough oxygen to allow for the fuel to react completely to produce carbon dioxide and water. This process produces carbon monoxide, a toxic gas.

Although I'm not familiar with the workings of a stove, I'm sure there should be an air valve or something to feed in oxygen for the flame to burn. If not, just make sure there is good circulation in the kitchen (open some windows).

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

said by ropeguru:

I've seen weird stuff happen like only half of a single burning is lit.. it's almost like it's too much wind.
that would be the gas pressure too high, and not enough air for that pressure causes an orange flame- a bad regulator could cause the pressure to fluctuate, it SHOULD be steady-

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
said by zen1 :

said by Subaru:

said by ropeguru:

that would be the gas pressure too high, and not enough air for that pressure causes an orange flame- a bad regulator could cause the pressure to fluctuate, it SHOULD be steady-
So you are saying the regulator could be bad?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to Subaru
Pretty!

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru
said by Subaru:

So you are saying the regulator could be bad?
YES. it needs to be checked when the problem happens.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Subaru
Is it real cold where you live ??

My tips are orange in the winter, when the gas is really cold and perfect blue inthe summer, whenthe gas is hot ...seasonal gas, I guess ..LOL
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
last night was not all that bad when I woke up this morning to test it, it was near 53F outside.. it's going down to 32 tonight.

TypeO
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Colorado
Talk to your neighbors, have they seen the same thing? Call your gas company ( I assume its natural gas service) and ask if they have been performing maintenance during the day. Have you changed anything in your house or outside your house that uses gas?

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to Subaru
This same thing happened to me once, I called the gas company, and they sent someone out to look at it. It turned out that the regulator outside got covered in ice, and it blocked a little air hole. The guy took a hammer and broke the ice off the regulator, and after that, everything was fine.

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA
reply to Subaru
What a gas, man...

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Let's hear it for Red Hot Chilli Beans ....Yahhhhh"BEANS" ....LOL LOL

fred123

@rr.com
reply to Subaru
are you running a room humidifier when the happens?