join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to zen1

Re: Gas stove orange flame

said by zen1 :

said by Subaru:

said by ropeguru:

Looks like you still have some good orange tips in there. If you do have other NG products in your house, take a look and make sure they are functioning ok.

I would also speak with the gas company to see if they can have someone out in the afternoon when this is happening to check the line pressure. Could be that with daytime demand that the pressure is dropping off.
It was not daytime it was taken around 10pm

I've seen weird stuff happen like only half of a single burning is lit.. it's almost like it's too much wind.
that would be the gas pressure too high, and not enough air for that pressure causes an orange flame- a bad regulator could cause the pressure to fluctuate, it SHOULD be steady-
So you are saying the regulator could be bad?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to Subaru

Pretty!

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

So you are saying the regulator could be bad?
YES. it needs to be checked when the problem happens.

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Subaru

Is it real cold where you live ??

My tips are orange in the winter, when the gas is really cold and perfect blue inthe summer, whenthe gas is hot ...seasonal gas, I guess ..LOL
--
Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy but they become legend.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

last night was not all that bad when I woke up this morning to test it, it was near 53F outside.. it's going down to 32 tonight.

TypeO
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Colorado

Talk to your neighbors, have they seen the same thing? Call your gas company ( I assume its natural gas service) and ask if they have been performing maintenance during the day. Have you changed anything in your house or outside your house that uses gas?

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to Subaru

This same thing happened to me once, I called the gas company, and they sent someone out to look at it. It turned out that the regulator outside got covered in ice, and it blocked a little air hole. The guy took a hammer and broke the ice off the regulator, and after that, everything was fine.

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA
reply to Subaru

What a gas, man...

TMMerlin
The Devil made me do it

join:2003-06-19
Oxford, MI

Let's hear it for Red Hot Chilli Beans ....Yahhhhh"BEANS" ....LOL LOL

fred123

@rr.com
reply to Subaru

are you running a room humidifier when the happens?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to Subaru

Ran into this again on a jobsite this morning. Gas guy said the regulator was frozen. Replaced and - viola!

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

said by ropeguru:

Looks like you still have some good orange tips in there. If you do have other NG products in your house, take a look and make sure they are functioning ok.

I would also speak with the gas company to see if they can have someone out in the afternoon when this is happening to check the line pressure. Could be that with daytime demand that the pressure is dropping off.
It was not daytime it was taken around 10pm

I've seen weird stuff happen like only half of a single burning is lit.. it's almost like it's too much wind.
And at 10pm everyone's heaters are cranking.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

hmm I think it has to do with the cold weather or gas being used like mad because it's baaaaccck!

it's 10F outside right now

Mdoc
Ehh... munch munch... what's up, Doc?
Premium
join:2007-03-27
Sterling, VA

It's 20F now at 8:25AM and I don't have this problem. Occasional orange tip, but same as before.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:5
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

hmm I think it has to do with the cold weather or gas being used like mad because it's baaaaccck!

I`ve heard of gas companies adding 'other' gasses to the feeds to make up enough pressure for everyone. That could explain why it only does it when its cold, more ppl using, there might not be enough supply.

Do you have a regulator on the left side of your gas meter? Theyre disc shaped, usually about 4-6" round with an adjustment protrusion in the middle. If you do, its probably not a pressure issue. Do your burners still burn orange if just one is on, at low rate?

hmm.. certainly sounds like an additive to me.

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by tp0d:

said by Subaru:

I`ve heard of gas companies adding 'other' gasses to the feeds to make up enough pressure for everyone. That could explain why it only does it when its cold, more ppl using, there might not be enough supply.

Do you have a regulator on the left side of your gas meter? Theyre disc shaped, usually about 4-6" round with an adjustment protrusion in the middle. If you do, its probably not a pressure issue. Do your burners still burn orange if just one is on, at low rate?

hmm.. certainly sounds like an additive to me.

-j
I think everyone is getting confused but it will burn orange no matter if one or all 4 are on.. during the day when it's warmer out it's normal..

I suspect people using the stove to heat the house..
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

research

@rr.com
reply to Subaru

Be aware that a temporary orange flame from your gas stove can also occur at peak usage times. If you are at home using natural gas appliances for heat/cooking/water heating, chances are, so are your neighbors. A cold Sunday morning around breakfast time is a good example of this. An increase in local demand can cause a decrease in pressure in the natural gas line. Try waiting until your other combustion appliances become inactive such as your gas furnace and water heater, before running your stove burners. If the problem persists, it is likely a dirty/clogged burner or the stove needs servicing. In general, a blue flame means complete combustion, and an orange flame (on a gas combustion appliance) means incomplete combustion and carbon monoxide production.

»researchdesignstudio.com

SirMeowmix_I

@windstream.net
reply to Subaru

Hows this for someone on the cusp on insanity. How about calling the local gas company and inquiring? Why the Internet speculation?

Your situation clearly isn't normal and you have empirical and theoretical hypotheses.

Don't speculate unless you're got a magical device turning CO to O2.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Ran into this again on a jobsite this morning. Gas guy said the regulator was frozen. Replaced and - viola!
In Mass they replace your regulator and meter every 7 years as preventative maintenance... I'm sure someone had to die for that to take effect.

I'd call the gas co asap for them to check it out, they shouldn't mess around will hopefully just replace their equipment even if they can't replicate the problem... then if it never happens again you know it was your customer termination equipment

did you answer about other gas appliances? you should be able to see the furnace flames pretty easily...

CO is a silent killer.

bent
and Inga
Premium
join:2004-10-04
Loveland, CO

said by bemis:

said by nunya:

In Mass they replace your regulator and meter every 7 years as preventative maintenance... I'm sure someone had to die for that to take effect.

I'd call the gas co asap for them to check it out, they shouldn't mess around will hopefully just replace their equipment even if they can't replicate the problem... then if it never happens again you know it was your customer termination equipment

did you answer about other gas appliances? you should be able to see the furnace flames pretty easily...

CO is a silent killer.
You are feeling sleepy... very sleepy...
--
Greedy Old Pigs v. The Donkey Show